Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The KonMarie method - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The KonMarie method

edited 9 February 2016 at 11:33AM in Old Style MoneySaving
9.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• iQueeniQueen Forumite
    810 posts
    jinny wrote: »
    Ha ha a lass after my own heart
    A car, willing to do some diy and take you out for your tea now and then
    Is all I require in gentlemen callers lol

I have a very good male friend who serves that purpose well! ;)

Just had an invitation to his Civil Partnership in the spring! :)
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • Thanks again iQueen. I love the idea of saying thank you to something and letting it go. I have a huge proofreading job to get done but as soon as it's finished I will definitely be saying goodbye to more stuff.
    Oh, BTW, can you do a tiny bit at a time? I did do the bathroom one afternoon but that wasn't awfully cluttered anyway. The thought of having to do all the clothes in one go, for example, just makes me think of piles of stuff that will take too much time to sort through.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rosie
    You can just do all your tops then trousers and so on
    Work through each category
    I don't have many clothes now I have retired
    Oh the joy of discarding my work clothes last year
    It's much easier with less good quality clothes
    Konmari advises not delegating unwanted clothes for lounge wear
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought I'd never get rid of books. However we inherited my father in laws books when he died, and a lot of the books were on subjects none of us are interested in. We've had them for a few years now, but now that we're settled in our own home I decided something had to be done, and ruthlessly sorted them out. I asked DH to go through the ones I'd picked out for getting rid of, but he has trouble letting go of 'stuff' so kept quite a few. He has never to my knowledge looked in any of them (we've been together nearly 25 years!)- he's from South Africa so they're all books about South Africa and its flora and fauna. He struggles to get rid of old clothes too.

• iQueeniQueen Forumite
    810 posts
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Oh, BTW, can you do a tiny bit at a time? I did do the bathroom one afternoon but that wasn't awfully cluttered anyway. The thought of having to do all the clothes in one go, for example, just makes me think of piles of stuff that will take too much time to sort through.

Yes, you can do a bit at a time. :)

Clothes is the first category, because it is reasonably easy for the majority people.

Do your socks, tights, knickers, bras, nightwear first, you will be amazed! Nice quick result.

MK breaks it down into:

Tops - all tops, or it could be Tees, Sweaters, Cardigans, blouses
    Bottoms - jeans, skirts, trousers, shorts, leggings
    Jackets and coats
    Dresses
    Sports wear
    Occasions - weddings, balls, funerals, clubbing etc
    Hats, scarves gloves
    Jewellery
    Bags
    Shoes

The idea is to deal with every item in a category/sub-category, at the same time, so that all the discards get chucked and the only items left generate a 'spark of joy' to wear/use.

So, for example, Tees...

OUT go all ill-fitting, stained or holey, hate the colour, too short/long, uncomfortable, etc. The only ones that stay are ones that you really enjoy wearing.

Check out Kondo folding and fold every thing that can be folded and organise a la MK in drawers - you will be amazed at how much space you have free!

Google the Marie Kondo order to see what else to do, when.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • iQueeniQueen Forumite
    810 posts
    Justamum wrote: »
    ...so they're all books about South Africa and its flora and fauna. He struggles to get rid of old clothes too.

Maybe DH would be happy for them to go to a library? Try your central library or a university library.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    iQueen wrote: »
    Maybe DH would be happy for them to go to a library? Try your central library or a university library.

Our local library is quite small, and we don't have a university on the island. I'm biding my time :D
    iQueen wrote: »
    The idea is to deal with every item in a category/sub-category, at the same time, so that all the discards get chucked and the only items left generate a 'spark of joy' to wear/use.

I hate all my clothes :( I've had them all for years and none of them are nice. Unfortunately I hate shopping for clothes.

• pollyspollys Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello

Thank you for starting this thread. I'd never heard of this method for decluttering. I've browsed the net and just tackled my socks, bras, knickers and nightwear. Not sure if I've got the folding right but I now have an empty drawer and a carrier bag for the charity shop.

I will start on my wardrobe at the weekend. I can see that this is going to take me quite awhile but hopefully a very worthwhile task.

Thank you

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • flipper_72flipper_72 Forumite
    574 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the book, but love the folding methods, I have just made a start on my children's underwear drawers, my son who is 5 helped roll his pants :) I can't get their socks to stay rolled though so need to get some shoe boxes to help them. I already store my bra's correctly so about to make a start on the rest of the underwear and then the rest....
  • iQueeniQueen Forumite
    810 posts
    Justamum wrote: »
    Our local library is quite small, and we don't have a university on the island. I'm biding my time :D

If you list all the details of the books: titles, authors, publishers, editions, year of publication (and ISBN numbers, if they have them) you could contact a university on the mainland. Lots of books go out of print, but are still a valuable source. A university may be prepared to obtain them (or some) and pay the cost of shipping. :undecided

I hate all my clothes :( I've had them all for years and none of them are nice. Unfortunately I hate shopping for clothes.

I don't like quite a lot of mine, but I can't afford to replace them, without saving up. I also hate shopping... full stop! :eek:

A good way to do it, is to buy online. Quite a few retailers now, provide free Returns, so you can send for things in several sizes, try them on and just keep what fits and brings you joy. :)

I shall just be buying clothes that make me happy, and make me feel good about myself, from now on - preferably good quality ones that will last! So, less shopping. ;)
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No debts.