Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The KonMarie method - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The KonMarie method

edited 9 February 2016 at 11:33AM in Old Style MoneySaving
9.6K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Right this I what I call a lunch break/backache break
    Thanks for your thoughts Penquine
    I agree thinking things have feelings is a bit whoo whoo
    However, all things are a collection of atoms so perhaps don't have feelings but definitely have energy.
    I have tried to hold items for a second or two to feel if they have a purpose in my life and I think that works better.
    I admit I have a "not sure"box packed up for a while but they are going if I don't use them soon. I've given myself a month to let go of them. They won't be in the house but I might just get rid next week.
    I love the idea of this kinda settles your accounts and allows you to move on. Very cathartic.

I have dumped 3 bags today though and packed a bag and box for CS. :A
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • MummyRivettMummyRivett Forumite
    385 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    hello everyone,

I was directed here from the OS daily thread. Do you think it worth buying the book and reading it through or are the majority of the ideas here in this thread. I have also seen a 15 summary of the book on amazon which may cut out all the random ideas.

Thanks
    (#8) Emergency Fund Thread £1,750.00 / £12,000
  • Dark_StarDark_Star Forumite
    571 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I have reserved it from the local library for 60p. If there's bits I like then I will scan them into the PC.
    Saves me paying for the book & then having to decide if it will "bring me joy" later on :D
    There's a waiting list but I can wait...have already started doing a few things like decluttering tat....
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • grunniegrunnie Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    hello everyone,

I was directed here from the OS daily thread. Do you think it worth buying the book and reading it through or are the majority of the ideas here in this thread. I have also seen a 15 summary of the book on amazon which may cut out all the random ideas.

Thanks
    All the ideas are on here. You have all of each item together to tidy them - so instead of tidying one wardrobe you collect all your clothes together and then hold each one and see if it is a keeper or to give away. I had a lot of clothes -3 wardrobes, chest of drawers and hall cupboard and that took about a week to tidy. Freegle got most of my clothes if the people could be bothered to turn up. I have gone on to tidy kitchen stuff and my OH tidied 2 bookcases.
  • hello everyone,

Thanks

I was wondering the same. Our library doesn't have it. I did look it up on youtube but have just found videos of some American woman's blog talking for aaaages about each thing that she is doing. And despite looking I still haven't found a sock folding video. I did see the t shirt one, but that was it.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 12 January 2015 at 2:24PM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 January 2015 at 2:24PM
    I've just spent a happy couple of hours soorting out and reorganising my wardrobes and drawers, and using the folding methods discussed. Everything looks so fab......

Ive had a few bad years. My husband was ill, I was his carer. when he went into a nursing home I had to sell our lovely family home and downsize because his illness had almost pushed us to the point of bankruptcy.

I am currently living with my son whilst I think about my next step. I've now start d househunting but I'm in no hurry. My son and I get along very well and because we are sharing expenses we both get to rebuild our finances whilst I'm here.

My husband was very ill for a long time and he died last August. I am now steadily working my way through our stuff. Whilst he was so Ill I just couldn't face it so I just put everything in boxes and am only now strong enough to deal with it all.

I definitely agree with the "processing the past" bit so that you can look to the future.

Sorting through my husband's effects and all the family things that we bought together has really tugged my heart strings at times but it has definitely been cathartic. I have been able to remember the good times and put away all the bad memories of his long illness.

I have bought a lovely box that just so happened to have his name on it. I am putting all his personal treasures together in there.

It's a long slow process but I'm finding it strangely comforting.

Thank you so much for starting this thread and directing me to the KonMarie method.

Even though I am already on my way to tidy heaven without it, I shall still buy the book, it sounds lovely.
  • MummyRivettMummyRivett Forumite
    385 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the tips and recommendations, I shall give it a go. I was tempted by "Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life", which also looks at debt management and getting to the root cause of clutter. Anyone else read that book?
    (#8) Emergency Fund Thread £1,750.00 / £12,000
  • edited 12 January 2015 at 3:13PM
    jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12 January 2015 at 3:13PM
    Thank you for the tips and recommendations, I shall give it a go. I was tempted by "Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life", which also looks at debt management and getting to the root cause of clutter. Anyone else read that book?

Yes I've bought both of these books and probably most of the others
    I said in a previous post that I have bought most decluttering books
    And even a hypnotherapy tape?????
    Non have got me bewitched like this book
    I did like Shed your stuff by Julie morganstern but most books are really about sorting out stuff and buying storage to keep them
    This is the best I've read

Rolling socks;
    Most y tube videos are military style
    You start at the toe and roll up like sushi roll
    Then either fold in the heel before continuing to the top
    Or just turn the corner at the heel
    Then tape the roll up for traveling
    Or fold over the top to secure the roll

Konmari advises not to fold over the top
    But stand the rolls of socks so they look a bit like the end of Swiss rolls in a cardboard box (shoe box ideal)
    This helps relax the elastic on your socks.

I watched anthea turner perfect housewife
    Years ago and now can't stop folding tea towels and bathroom towels her way now!
    I had a look at the summary version of the book and it seems alright
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Lessonlearned, I'm glad that you can find comfort in sorting through your things and are able to find something positive in doing so. I hope that things will continue to get better for you.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • jinnyjinny Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lesson learned
    That goes fro me too
    Best wishes for the future

That's why I'm getting rid of my excess now. Firstly for my own wish to live light now then in the future.
    I don't want my family to have to go through my stuff
    Like I had to with my mothers stuff.
    Bless her she was from the generation of keeping stuff just in case.
    Like konmarie I de cluttered from quite a young age but mam would retrieve my stuff from the bin cubby even. As stuff was too good to throw out. This book claims you won't have to declutter again
    So I'm hoping I can keep this up
    Some relatives of mine downsized to a static caravan and live without stuff that filled a three bedroom house...heaven

The book reminds me of the programme the Hoarder next Door
    Clearing out your stuff once and for all
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor