Solar iboost installation

Replies

• EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Unfortunately the cold feed to my tank is round the back with absolutely no access.
    "Absolutely no access" ? Surely, all you need to do is to follow the cold feed pipe back a bit then slip in a 'T' junction at some convenient point.
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • Dave_FowlerDave_Fowler Forumite
    596 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested to know what pump you used. I've searched the wed & can't seem to find anything small & sensibly priced.

Once your tank reaches maximum temperature, does the pump run continuously?

Unfortunately the cold feed to my tank is round the back with absolutely no access.
    I used a standard bronze central heating pump set to minimum speed setting. Got it off the well known auction site. With the amount of water involved, I'm not sure you need to go for a bronze version as the percentage 'rust' contamination must be very small.

Once the tank reaches maximum temperature the pump continues to run. I try to keep maximum ventilation round the pump as it is running close to the rated maximum temperature.

My cold feed pipe is readily accessible as it has the stop-valve for the hot water system.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I used a standard bronze central heating pump set to minimum speed setting. Got it off the well known auction site. With the amount of water involved, I'm not sure you need to go for a bronze version as the percentage 'rust' contamination must be very small.

Once the tank reaches maximum temperature the pump continues to run. I try to keep maximum ventilation round the pump as it is running close to the rated maximum temperature.

My cold feed pipe is readily accessible as it has the stop-valve for the hot water system.

Dave F

My cold water feed pipe is accessible above the tank & with a non-return valve would be an option. I'll just need to think about the possibility of the cold feed water bypassing the tank via the pump loop though.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 2 x US2000C Batteries - 16.8kWh
  • My immersun has the function of fully controlling any destrat pump so no worries there

I'm just apprehensive about selecting the right person for installing it correctly, a solar installer may be more suitable than a plumber (could be wrong)
    596 Posts
    ✭✭
    My cold water feed pipe is accessible above the tank & with a non-return valve would be an option. I'll just need to think about the possibility of the cold feed water bypassing the tank via the pump loop though.
    The non-return valve goes in-line with the pump to stop any feed through from cold to hot. The cold water feed goes directly into the bottom of the tank in the usual way and the hot water leaves the tank to the taps in the usual way. I fitted a tee junction in the cold water feed and in the hot water exit. The pump and non-return valve go in series between these two tee connections. The non-return valve allows water to be pumped from the hot water exit to the cold water feed pipe but stops any flow in the opposite direction. There is usually an expansion pipe from the hot water exit which goes up into the cold water header tank so both the hot and cold water tee connections should be readily accessible.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
    596 Posts
    ✭✭
    Estwing wrote: »
    My immersun has the function of fully controlling any destrat pump so no worries there

I'm just apprehensive about selecting the right person for installing it correctly, a solar installer may be more suitable than a plumber (could be wrong)
    I think you'll need someone with plumber skills to cut the pipes, fit the junctions and connect up the pump, non-return valve and pump isolation taps (usually fitted to aid servicing the pump). The electrical connection should be quite simple if the Immersun has the destrat function output.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll need someone with plumber skills to cut the pipes, fit the junctions and connect up the pump, non-return valve and pump isolation taps (usually fitted to aid servicing the pump). The electrical connection should be quite simple if the Immersun has the destrat function output.

Dave F

That'd be me then!:)
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 2 x US2000C Batteries - 16.8kWh
  • Hello everybody, I have only just registered so apologies if I am posting in the wrong area for my question, but you seem to be talking about Iboost so it looked appropriate. My question is, I have a Solar Iboost that was fitted last April when my panels were installed. When the installers put the Iboost in they turned off my hot water and therefore since April I have been heating my hot water tank through the Iboost. I appreciate this was a mistake as when there is no power being generated by my panels I assume that my Iboost will take from the grid, therefore my electricity bills are going up instead of down! I have now set my heating to go off at night and in the morning which seems to be stabilizing things. However, my question is, should the Iboost still flash when no power is being generated by my panels, i.e. at night and first thing in the morning? I have asked my installation company to investigate but wanted to ask on this forum aswell. Appreciate your guidance.
  • Quite fascinating discussion considering the huge range of buying prices for gas, electricity and immersion diverters. Currently the cost of a diverter, installled can range from £250 to £550 and I've seen even higher prices. I buy electricity at 10.28p pkWh and gas at 2.98p. After extensive research I have concluded that the economics of buying a diverter are highly questionable but still intend doing so on the grounds that I have £250 in the bank producing no return and I send power to the grid which I could be using. Once installed I'll simply forget it is there and not worry about whether it is making me a profit. The alternative is to live with that irkome green light flashing every time I pass the monitor and that's hard for a frugal Scot!
  • Exiled_TykeExiled_Tyke Forumite
    749 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Quite fascinating discussion considering the huge range of buying prices for gas, electricity and immersion diverters. Currently the cost of a diverter, installled can range from £250 to £550 and I've seen even higher prices. I buy electricity at 10.28p pkWh and gas at 2.98p. After extensive research I have concluded that the economics of buying a diverter are highly questionable but still intend doing so on the grounds that I have £250 in the bank producing no return and I send power to the grid which I could be using. Once installed I'll simply forget it is there and not worry about whether it is making me a profit. The alternative is to live with that irkome green light flashing every time I pass the monitor and that's hard for a frugal Scot!

I'm not sure about your logic here. Your £250 may be producing no return but spending that money on a system which may not even pay for itself (never mind produce a return) could leave you out of pocket. If what you want is a return then go into a slightly higher risk bracket (e.g. Peer to peer lending) rather than throwing money at a poor investment. I did my maths on this and for me it did not make financial sense so I shelved the idea. Really hope that batteries will come down to a price which makes that a viable investment instead.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides