January Grocery Challenge 2015

edited 17 December 2014 at 9:25PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 84.6K views

Replies

• CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am sorely tempted, especially after abandoning my December challenge. Will read with interest but cannot really commit until I get my health bits sorted, then I will have a clearer head.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • New year new start,need a lot of work done on our house so need to save money to get the work done so I'm in , I'm going io start of £250 but I would like to whittle it down a bit more so I'm in from 1st January till 31st
    I'm also going to do other challenges like no spend days
    Dee
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • dumplingdumpling Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, I am definitely in this month after the Christmas madness. I would like to have a budget of £400 but ideally would love to spend less as I have 2 freezers full of food and loads of storecupboard bits too. My month starts from the 1st till the 31st so 5 weeks. As my normal spends are £600+ this is a huge drop but our belts need to be tightened and the food budget is an obvious place to start. Our family consists of 2 adults, 3 teenagers a cat and hopefully a new rescue dog in the new year.
  • After joining the GC after years of lurking I just about managed to post once with my target in October and never got round to updating or totting up my figures.

I think I say this every year but something really needs to change for us in the new year. After last Christmas I swore I would be more organised and I'm in the same boat again the year just goes too quick.

Anyway I am aiming for £450

This is made up of the 70 a week I 'think' I spend, taking account of 5 week month, which I never do, adding 50 for household items and 50 contingency.

Although if you asked me I would say I spend 70 a week this is simply not true and 450 would be a massive improvement.

Month runs 23rd-23rd I usually get a weekly shop but hoping to look at month overall to make some savings/bulk freeze - I work 3 days a week

Roll on :rotfl:
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • Hello
    Can I join in please for £300? I always 'allocate' £300 but lord knows what I actually spend :o I've just started ynab so that will hopefully make me aware in January of exactly what I do spend. Will also use your advice on keeping receipts.
    Its only me and my 4yr old but this budget covers eating out etc too, so anything food/drink related?
    I do have a freezer full and cupboards are full also so this should be very doale to start with!
    Should say a hello too I guess :T

• Wicked_LadyWicked_Lady Forumite
    259 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi all

Planning on starting this on 1 Jan so please can you put me down for £310?

That will be £10 per day for myself, DH and elderly cat and will be all food and cleaning items - not that I do much cleaning!
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to go down for £1500 in 2015.

That works out as £125 a month, or around £30 a week. Should be more than doable for just me to maintain a good store cupboard and pay for the odd meal out (like christmas).
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • :hello: Hello to all the newbies, good way to see the new year in :D Hello to everyone else too :)

I'm in but I don't know what date from just yet, will update when I know for sure. Just marking my place in case of early recipes ;)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... now you mention it...

Ready for the New Year - Turkey 'One-Pot' Pie

Early Jan is the one time a year I actually use my pie plates - freezes really well once made up and is made from leftovers and store-cupboard staples.

(I am intentionally not including amounts for the filling, as that really depends on the leftovers you have and how much you’d like to make.)

Filling
    Shredded turkey
    Leftover stuffing
    Leftover veg
    Leftover cranberries/sauce
    Gravy
    Breadcrumbs
    Milk
    Butter (an 8inch pie dish uses about a tbsp cut into small pieces for dotting the filling)

Topping
    2 tbsp milk
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp butter, melted
    breadcrumbs (enough to form a paste)

How-to

Butter an oven dish or pie plate, then cover the bottom with breadcrumbs and moisten with a little milk.

Add a layer of turkey and cranberry, a layer of stuffing dotted with butter, and a layer of veg topped with thickish gravy. Repeat until you’ve filled the pan, ending with veg then top with gravy.

For the topping, combine the melted butter, eggs, and milk. Add breadcrumbs and mix until a paste forms. Spread over top of the filling and dot with butter. (Some people add grated cheese, but it doesn't really need it)

Bake for about 45 minutes in a moderate to hot oven (180/200) or until the top has browned.

Eat.

:p
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there
    I'd like to go for £200 for January. £5 Less than for December, £15 less than for November & £60 less than for October. This challenge has helped me so much. Thank you to Zippychick & other volunteers that run this challenge.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20