Car not driving straight

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
39 replies 3.2K views
sh0597sh0597 Forumite
578 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I find my car, when I take my hands off the wheel, wants to turn to the left.

The steering wheel fairly quickly turns left and the car steers to the left, therefore as I drive normally I'm having to apply force to counter the wheel trying to turn left.

What would be causing this?

Replies

• RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tracking sounds out.

Take it to a garage and ask them to check the tracking. Most tyre garages can do this and it's not expensive.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • What car is it?

Mine uses electric power steering and has a similar fault due to the sensor wearing out over time (a known fault). I just live with it! But it does depend how hard it is pulling - if mine got much worse I would see if it could be fixed.
  • OnanTheBarbarianOnanTheBarbarian Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Could be tracking, could be worn bushes, balljoints or track control arms.

Get it looked at though as it ruins the driving experience as well as probably wearing your tyres out prematurely.
  • edited 30 November 2014 at 7:11PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 30 November 2014 at 7:11PM
    Could also be a binding brake.

Nearside front is a prime candidate.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I was driving down the M6 when my car started pulling to one side. I stopped at services and called the breakdown services. They came and drove round the car park and said it was fine. I refused to drive it and we were getting to a bit of a stalemate. He then said he'd take it to his garage. He put a jack under the engine and raised the engine until suddenly the bonnet popped up. He came back and told me the engine mountings had gone and he could take me home. It turned out to be a failed CV joint. I assume he wrecked my engine mountings on purpose but was never quite sure!
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unequal tyre pressures, worn ball joints/bushes, mismatched front tyres, collapsed spring, worn out shocker? A two minute check at your friendly, local, recommended independent garage.
  • adoado Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I see a lot of older mini/super mini sized cars on the road which look lopsided. I presume that they've been in a heavy front end shunt which has twisted the chassis meaning that the front and rear wheels are misaligned and would create the effect the OP talked about. Most owners or drivers seem to drive around obliviously though.
  • arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred246 wrote: »
    Years ago I was driving down the M6 when my car started pulling to one side. I stopped at services and called the breakdown services. They came and drove round the car park and said it was fine. I refused to drive it and we were getting to a bit of a stalemate. He then said he'd take it to his garage. He put a jack under the engine and raised the engine until suddenly the bonnet popped up. He came back and told me the engine mountings had gone and he could take me home. It turned out to be a failed CV joint. I assume he wrecked my engine mountings on purpose but was never quite sure!

If not on purpose then he's just an idiot. Not sure why he'd jack the car up using the engine! And I don't see why he'd need to even raise the engine to inspect the CV joints.
  • ado wrote: »
    I see a lot of older mini/super mini sized cars on the road which look lopsided. I presume that they've been in a heavy front end shunt which has twisted the chassis meaning that the front and rear wheels are misaligned and would create the effect the OP talked about. Most owners or drivers seem to drive around obliviously though.

See a lot of old mini's like that, just not lined up straight.
    Often see the driver through the side window when following!

OP - sounds more than just camber of the road, anything changed recently?
    Pressures and brakes are first and easiest to check, as already suggested :)
  • lulu_92lulu_92 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    This happened to OH 3 weeks after he bought his Toyota Auris. Tracking was off by 6 degrees and they charged him £50 for it because they said he must have driven over a pothole. OH refuted this and got his money back.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up