Forum Home» Phones & TV

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
67 replies 11.5K views

Replies

• Do they have to notify about the price increases?as ive not had any notification at all
  • NittyGrittyNittyGritty Forumite
    910 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    not had mine yet either, but I was on to live chat on Friday and they said they should be sent out sometime this week, so I would imagine they should start dropping on floors by end of the week
  • I have an Old AOL account and have been told the £5 rise for Unlimited Broadband and Anytime calls will rise to £12.20 a month. My Line rental is still with BT.

As I have been on such a good deal before I have not looked elsewhere but at £12.20 it still seems value despite the £5 rise.

IS IT A GOOD PRICE ?

I would appreciate any comments - Thanks
  • anactuaryanactuary Forumite
    700 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have an Old AOL account and have been told the £5 rise for Unlimited Broadband and Anytime calls will rise to £12.20 a month. My Line rental is still with BT.

As I have been on such a good deal before I have not looked elsewhere but at £12.20 it still seems value despite the £5 rise.

IS IT A GOOD PRICE ?

I would appreciate any comments - Thanks
    The Plusnet deal on the MSE site is less than £10 a month for line rental & broadband and it's an extra £5 for anytime calls (total under £15) whereas you're paying over £25 inc BT line rental.

You could also ask TT what deal they'd offer if you moved your line rental to them. The best deals are for line rental and broadband together.
  • edited 5 November 2014 at 11:57AM
    isayoldchapisayoldchap Forumite
    1.3K posts
    edited 5 November 2014 at 11:57AM
    Just looked at the deal with the Post Office for just the phone service
    Also when I phoned was advised an offer...the first three months is free line rental and international calls at weekends are included in some saver plans
    £120 only for yearly line rental saver

£5.75 anytime UK calls including some free calling features

Also see they only charge 5p per minute anytime for Italy calls so no need for International Call saver charge(around 26p with Talk Talk)

Unsure if override system will work on their system

Unsure if it's £31.50 with Topcashback

Oh and Talk Talk want £172.20 before 30/11 then it will go to £186.36 for the value line rental

Yes you can haggle but why bother when prices are much cheaper elsewhere and there could be a Topcashback bonus with it towards your saving
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side anytime calls, increasing to from £5 to £7.50, will include unlimited calls to mobiles so could save some people some money.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just looked at the deal with the Post Office for just the phone service
    Also when I phoned was advised an offer...the first three months is free line rental and international calls at weekends are included in some saver plans
    £120 only for yearly line rental saver

£5.75 anytime UK calls including some free calling features

Also see they only charge 5p per minute anytime for Italy calls so no need for International Call saver charge(around 26p with Talk Talk)

Unsure if override system will work on their system

Unsure if it's £31.50 with Topcashback

Oh and Talk Talk want £172.20 before 30/11 then it will go to £186.36 for the value line rental

Yes you can haggle but why bother when prices are much cheaper elsewhere and there could be a Topcashback bonus with it towards your saving

I'm trying to get a clear answer from them on the override point - it's pretty important.

Topcashback £31.50 seems to apply only to car insurance, unfortunately.

The three months free is a good offer - not available online, it seems.

As you say, not a bad deal, overall - subject to the overrider point.
  • I was leaving Talk TALK for Plusnet and had started the process.

TT rang me and offered £13 per month for unlimited bb, anytime calls and free line rental for the years contract. I took it.

Did the same with the car insurance. Miraculously £50 got knocked off the renewal. Tells its own story.
  • edited 5 November 2014 at 7:24PM
    isayoldchapisayoldchap Forumite
    1.3K posts
    edited 5 November 2014 at 7:24PM
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a clear answer from them on the override point - it's pretty important.

Topcashback £31.50 seems to apply only to car insurance, unfortunately.

The three months free is a good offer - not available online, it seems.

As you say, not a bad deal, overall - subject to the overrider point.

I had a look on Martin's post about the Post office phone deal and he says you can, also I phoned them now and they confirmed you can
    However the 5.75 anytime per month is a cracking deal including UK mobiles and some international calls all for the same bundle
    Have a look at the pricing area for more information

Also regarding the Post Office Cashback.......'phone packages bit'
    Send mail and more with the Post Office. Buy car and other insurance, as well as broadband, currency and phone packages, and earn cashback rewards.arding the cashback here is what it says on Topcashback

However if you phone them you can get three months free for changing on the phone.I will see on Saturday if they accept the value line rental at 120.00 and give Mum 15 months or have to join that close to the end of the three free months(Hopefully they don't jump up the price by then)
  • 20102010 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous, isn't it? There's a roundabout of increases going on here, with TalkTalk, BT, Sky and all the others announcing increases every few weeks. One does it, then the rest follow, and then it starts all over again.

My guess is that there's an informal (and illegal) cartel giving rise to all these increases, with the result that there's no real competition any more. Ofcom won't find any evidence of a cartel (because Ofcom is ineffective and useless) but it's looking very much like there is one.

I completely agree and the exact same thing could be said about the energy suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support