Credit Card Cash Advance Interest

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
2 replies 419 views
johnsmithyjohnsmithy Forumite
104 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi,

If you make a cash advance on your credit card, how much interest would you accrue monthly?

I understand when you make a cash advance, interest is added from the day you make the advance up until the day of your statement and increases over time until it is paid off.

What is the formula to work out the interest on a cash advance? I need an example so I can use it to base it on my own credit card details to work out the daily interest. From what I understand, a potential formula is:

Amount on Card x APR/365 - Is this correct to work out your daily interest?

Currently, I pay off my full debt at the end of each month and have never missed a payment, so I've never had late payment etc. Also, currently I have no outstanding debt as my overdraft has been paid off, though this shouldn't affect any of your credit card transactions.

I just wanted to get a reflection of what I could be expecting to pay in terms of interest at the end of the month as I am currently on half pay due to illness but I have some back-up in case the charges are more than I anticipated.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Robin

Replies

• edited 31 October 2014 at 5:31PM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2014 at 5:31PM
    robinmckay wrote: »
    Amount on Card x APR/365 - Is this correct to work out your daily interest?
    It's a good approximation, especially if APR isn't very high.

It's better to divide your monthly rate by 30.
    It can be found in your statements.

The exact formula for the daily rate is (say, for 35% APR):
    (1+0.35)^(1/365)-1
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robinmckay wrote: »
    I understand when you make a cash advance, interest is added from the day you make the advance up until the day of your statement and increases over time until it is paid off.
    It typically goes on beyond repayment, in that on your first statement after the cash withdrawal it'll include an interest element, but only up to the statement date, so unless you pay it that day there will be another interest charge the following month to cover the time from first statement to repayment.

Probably stating the obvious but worth paying everything you possibly can on your card rather than converting to cash first....
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals