Forum Home » Phones & TV

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

MSE News: Talk Talk customers to be hit with price hikes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
67 replies 11.5K views

Replies

• indierocker85indierocker85 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a little tip for anybody who is with TalkTalk, and hasn't managed to pay for the Value Line rental, prior to these increases.

If you pay your line rental monthly, and usually manage your account online and/or pay by direct debit, you can take advantage of the speedy payment discount of 15% (though I am lead to believe it's now just 10%), which also includes the line rental. So, if you pay your bill online, within 24 hours with a card, you can get a discount on all your bill, including the line rental.

It may help some of you!
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • Been with TT since January and this is the second price increase! I'll be cancelling out of spite
  • Talktalk will come up with some great savings if you phone and tell them you are leaving. I have been doing this each year for a good number of years and it never fails. I have just paid line rental up front for a year at the old price of £126 and have my broadband , evening and weekend calls for £2.25 per month. Give it a go, if I can get those kind of deals, anyone can.
  • I think it is about time that MSE campaigned for the abolition of line rentals. Where else are we committed to renting ANYTHING for life ?
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its down to BT, BT are undertaking a massive fibre rollout (in my opinion to counter cable and make us keep the pointless landline) and have increased the line rental to cover this, all the other ISPs lease the line from BT so their costs will have increased too

Looking at the Openreach wholesale prices, the charge for a basic line rental has gone down this year, and the charge for fibre internet hasn't changed at all.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=%2BrBpMW3XM9acnyJyysVXlUueE80IBTlV7sFIBygiOy9UNeIS4WkJBRh6z%2FRUAIt8maxtgrEro1A7w5V8nzAZpQ%3D%3D
    http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0RIviN9gWGKtCdDGaQ8IFObCjmFDJOVDZEidKC%2F1wh1Z6rNZujnCs99NbIKJZPD9hXYmiijxH6wrCQm97GZMyQ%3D%3D
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The winners are the switchers & the hagglers, the losers are the customers who grim and bear it, paying the increased price without moaning about it to the company.

This month Talk Talk, next month will be another company etc
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    The winners are the switchers & the hagglers, the losers are the customers who grim and bear it, paying the increased price without moaning about it to the company.

This month Talk Talk, next month will be another company etc
    There's something in that. The last TalkTalk increase resulted in my paying less after discussing it with them. I'm reasonably confident that it'll be the same this time round. ;)
  • mjfp509mjfp509 Forumite
    188 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Line rental is becoming a joke - they just seem to be increasing it all the time.

Are you better off phoning them to haggle or via online chat?
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    mjfp509 wrote: »
    Line rental is becoming a joke - they just seem to be increasing it all the time.

Are you better off phoning them to haggle or via online chat?

Both work well - though it depends on the company. The big advantage of online chat is that you have a written record of exactly what was agreed. Overpromising and underdelivering is common, and it saves disputes later.
  • edited 3 November 2014 at 1:20PM
    babyj3babyj3 Forumite
    586 posts
    edited 3 November 2014 at 1:20PM
    jambo62 wrote: »
    Talktalk will come up with some great savings if you phone and tell them you are leaving. I have been doing this each year for a good number of years and it never fails. I have just paid line rental up front for a year at the old price of £126 and have my broadband , evening and weekend calls for £2.25 per month. Give it a go, if I can get those kind of deals, anyone can.

I am a very light user i.e. no downloads and no more than five phone calls a week during the day and email/browsing 1/2 hours a week
    I was told that the Plus Tv package was best for me as it included anytime calls - I did not want or get the free tv box so was given a 1/2 price discount . So I pay £5.75 a month having already paid the line rental and get basic broadband as that speed is enough for me

I see that anytime boost have gone up by £2.50 per month so that would take me to £8.25 but I will be paying £9.25 but getting a free sim which I do not want/won't use so I am not very happy especially as my wifi connection closes down if I have not used it within 24 hours. I then have to turn the router off and reconnect every time I want to get online which is very annoying, very bad service I think
    I will look to see if another package is better value for me or try to haggle the price down but if not look elsewhere
    When I paid line rental up front I was told that my package price would not go up during the 12 month contract but that if it did I could get a pro rata refund if I left talk talk within the 30 day window
    I agree that line rental seems to be the round robin rip off that needs to be investigated next as we are sitting ducks for these companies who hike their charges whenever they think they can get away with it
    Also the email sent advising me of the price rise stated that anytime calls boost includes 01/02/03/0845/0870 and Standard Uk mobile numbers only
    I have never been aware of mobile numbers being included in the anytime boost and can find no information on this on the Talk talk site - has anyone else seen this in the small print at the bottom of their email advising the price hike. Thanks
    I am not a beige person:D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support