Great ‘What to Buy at Costco & Makro’ Hunt

edited 28 April 2009 at 6:54PM in Shop but don't drop
1.9K replies 769.5K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never compared solutions as mine are daily disposables - partly because I don't wear every day, but mainly because I wear them for swimming (otherwise I struggle to see one end of the pool to the other :D). I've been advised I should dispose of them as soon as I get out of the water, but as I wear good goggles have been told I'm safe enough wearing them for the 3 mile walk home - and I can't afford to throw away weekly/monthly lenses every time I fancy a dip, nor do I want to restrict myself to 1 swim a week/month as they're due changing. Boots optician did price up the weekly ones for me, and there wasn't much (if any) difference in price compared to the daily ones.

Don't know about free vouchers for Boots sight tests. I get them free because I'm on their contact lens scheme.
    Cheryl
  • David_AstonDavid_Aston Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cw18
    Perhaps consider prescription goggles for swimming? They are approximate, but good enough to enable a very shortsighted person, like me for instance, to easily see the length of the pool.
    I paid 25 pounds for mine locally.
  • I went there ( Costco) last week and bought some peacan nuts. Around £10 for 900gr whivh is cheap compearing to anywhere else.
  • pjajpjaj Forumite
    113 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    quoia wrote: »
    Almost EVERYTHING is guaranteed to be MORE EXPENSIVE than what is on offer at supermarkets
    Sorry, I cannot agree with this. We have spent about £600 at Costco this year so far, and saved in the region of £220 compared to equivalent items from Amazon plus the cheapest from other major supermarkets as listed on MySupermarket. However you must do your homework, some items (mostly fruit & vegetables) are little or no saving or more expensive.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • vikki_louisevikki_louise Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much the tower of treats are this year? My mum said they looked lovely but couldn't remember how much they were.

She brought a lovely gift set for a birthday next year (the date goes to next summer) it's presented like a handbag but has chocolates and a bottle porchetta.

They also have back in stock really lovely blankets, they are fleecy one side and more sheepskin like on the other. I've used mine non stop for the past year and it looks as good as new. Seems much more expensive than it actually is and makes a good Christmas present
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • Does anyone know how much the tower of treats are this year? My mum said they looked lovely but couldn't remember how much they were.

She brought a lovely gift set for a birthday next year (the date goes to next summer) it's presented like a handbag but has chocolates and a bottle porchetta.

They also have back in stock really lovely blankets, they are fleecy one side and more sheepskin like on the other. I've used mine non stop for the past year and it looks as good as new. Seems much more expensive than it actually is and makes a good Christmas present

I think they were in the mail out with a small reduction this kind of time last year. I always stroke them whenever I pass-they feel lovely! I wonder if I could buy it as a present 'for the cat'...;)

Has anyone bought the Ricardo suitcases? They had a small 4 wheel one for just under £40 and although I'd rather not spend that much on a case, all the cheaper ones I've had just don't last that long. Are they worth the money?
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • knack92knack92 Forumite
    456 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the regular price for a tub of haribo? I think the tubs are 2kg. Thanks
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think the tower of treats is around £16.

and Haribo is around £5 if i remember right. Swizels Matlow sweets are on offer at the moment in Costco though.
  • pjajpjaj Forumite
    113 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    xyz123 wrote: »
    any idea if the costco michelin tyres deals are any good? cant seem to find any prices online.
    I'm looking for a set of good 205 50 R17 93W tyres for my Ford Focus. After reading reviews I chose Michelin Primacy 3, a "premium" brand. None of my local tyre suppliers had them in stock, but all quoted about £142 each, Costco quoted me £123.28 so I ordered a set today. They phoned me back to say Michelin are out of stock and won't be having another production run of this size till mid-December, so I went for my second choice, the Sport 3 at £119.98 each. They seem to be about £135 from local dealers.
    Note, the price you see on line can be misleading, the Primacy 3 is shown at £120 on some sites (Merit Tyres for example) but when you phone them up the real price is £20 more. My advice is to shop around and always check the current price.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • Went to have a look at the schwinn hybrid bike that costco have £25 off at the moment.£167.98
    Did a review of the bike when i gog home and toys are us are selling it for £99.
    So shop around its not always cheapest