Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

TicketySplit feedback - official discussion - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

edited 18 December 2013 at 3:38PM in Public Transport & Cycling
262 replies 150.1K views

Replies

• Great tool and easy to use but the prices quoted are not always the best. Haverfordwest to Cardiff quoted as part of the split at £12 but on both websites I checked normal price was £10. On the second half of my journey price quoted was £22, price quoted on websites £34!
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smiley-sue wrote: »
    Great tool and easy to use but the prices quoted are not always the best. Haverfordwest to Cardiff quoted as part of the split at £12 but on both websites I checked normal price was £10. On the second half of my journey price quoted was £22, price quoted on websites £34!

Was that £12 perhaps the minimum fare with a 16-25 railcard?
    From that railcard's T&Cs:
    A £12 minimum fare applies for journeys starting between 4.30am-10am Monday to Friday excluding Advance Fares. This minimum fare does not apply on Public Holidays or throughout July and August.

Unless you can be more open about the origins and destinations and splitting points then that feedback is not as useful as it could be.
  • Mrs_ArcanumMrs_Arcanum Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May not be much but saved £4 on exactly the same journey & changes between Oxford & Nottingham on a Student Railcard.

Will be more when my daughter buys her own tickets.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • edited 5 October 2014 at 6:37AM
    jamesbrownontheroadjamesbrownontheroad Forumite
    601 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 5 October 2014 at 6:37AM
    I tested the new Tickety Split this morning, using some regular routes that I know to split both Advance and Off Peak single fares on.

It still needs some work. It couldn't spot the following example...

03/11/2014: 0651 Norwich - Nottingham 0926. Cheapest fare currently available £26 Advance Single (£25 on website of East Midlands Trains).

0651 Norwich - Peterborough 0822 £12 Advance Single (£11 on EMT website)
    0826 Peterborough - Nottingham 0926 £10 (£9 on EMT website) Advance Single = £22 (£20 on EMT website)

Frankly, it's disappointing that MSE have had to shack up with thetrainline to enable this software. No company has done more to confuse the traveling public about finding cheap train fares than thetrainline, with misleading advertising that implies only they have access to the cheapest train tickets before whacking booking fees on top of every sale.

Sorry to be a bore, but if you're reading this thread, NEVER use thetrainline.com ... always book direct with the train operators to save the booking fee and to take advantage of operators' discounts on their own Advance fares.

The example above is another example of why MSE should compile a crystal clear list of which train operators offer discounts on their own Advance fares. As other forum users have noted, East Coast discount their own Advance tickets by up to 11% and (in my example above) East Midlands Trains discount their own Advance tickets by £1. This makes splitting tickets on a return journey with EMT even better value, as a £2 discount on two Advance single fares becomes a £4 discount on four Advance single fares!
  • Taking Martin's advice I booked a journey from Bristol to Stratford via Birmingham New Street. Total cost (First Class) £124.

Split the journey, Bristol to Birmingham and then Birmingham to Stratford - £37!

The only part of the journey it was possible to go First Class was the first leg, so they wanted to charge me £87 to go First when the train didn't have a First carriage. Cheeky so-in-so's.

Cheers MSE!:j
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 6 October 2014 at 6:05PM
    JenE_2JenE_2 Forumite
    103 posts
    edited 6 October 2014 at 6:05PM
    Just saved £37 getting to Peterborough (from Leeds) on Wednesday - total return cost with East Coast £112, after ticketysplit (split in Doncaster) £75! And going first class on the way there!
    Just shows the madness of the ticketing system - thank you MSE
  • CM2010CM2010 Forumite
    1 posts
    Hi. It is a shame this search doesn't include an advanced search option with via or avoid. I save quite a bit on train tickets from SW to SE by avoiding London. Most train operator websites offer this facility. So agree with other comments - useful to use - but also useful to do own research.
  • Kati_2Kati_2 Forumite
    1 posts
    Original price: £145
    TicketySplit price: £80.50
    My price (exactly the same journey but split at a more obvious station): £42.20

Think I'll just keep spliting manually for now.
  • edited 7 October 2014 at 12:56PM
    wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2014 at 12:56PM
    KATI wrote: »
    Original price: £145
    TicketySplit price: £80.50
    My price (exactly the same journey but split at a more obvious station): £42.20

Think I'll just keep spliting manually for now.
    Once again we have feedback which is no use to anyone.

Why haven't you stated the journey?

Where are the two splitting points you mention?

Why did you not mention the ticket types?

Unfortunately the developer will be unable to investigate your issue and correct the problem without information.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Tickety Split e-mail doesn't overly inspire confidence. The example it gives is

Birmingham to Newquay advance single = £150

Um no - a walk on single is £150 (and 30p but let's not quibble). The split ticketing it gives is perfectly valid but it's still possible that an advance ticket for the complete journey can be cheaper (£43.50 on the random day I checked)