edited 30 September 2014 at 4:45PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
16 replies 5.6K views
bugbyte_2bugbyte_2 Forumite
397 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 30 September 2014 at 4:45PM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Hey forumites.
We’d love to know if you have any feedback on the National Citizen Service. Like…

• Has your child been?
• Did they enjoy it?
• What did they learn?

You can register your child for the upcoming Oct half-term programme (as long as they've not been before). Full info: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/national-citizen-service

Thanks for your help!

MSE Anna

The NCS is a gov. initiative open to 15 - 17 yr olds to get involved in their community. Participants go on a residential, then plan and carry out a service project. The cost is heavily subsidised (£35 - £50) and those that complete the service get a letter from Cameron and UCAS recognition.

All in all, a very worthwhile initiative that develops youngsters social and problem solving skills.

My DS1 is currently on his residential somewhere in Staffordshire and spent yesterday caving and night orienteering. His service project may end up helping clearing up after the floods.

Well done those that run this scheme, its a really good initiative!

Clicky
Edible geranium

Replies

• Is this scheme not available to kids in wales? I've entered our postcode on the registration page, but it says no postcodes match??? And I thought we were part of a "United Kingdom" .....? ?
  • wiogswiogs Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Netty1212 wrote: »
    Is this scheme not available to kids in wales? I've entered our postcode on the registration page, but it says no postcodes match??? And I thought we were part of a "United Kingdom" .....? ?

"You need to live in England or Northern Ireland" - so not UK wide or indeed "national"
  • adouglasmhoradouglasmhor Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Photogenic
    Netty1212 wrote: »
    Is this scheme not available to kids in wales? I've entered our postcode on the registration page, but it says no postcodes match??? And I thought we were part of a "United Kingdom" .....? ?

It does say ENGLAND and NI, maybe it's a devolved thing and Wales and Scotland have used the funding eslewhere?
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • edited 2 October 2014 at 4:29PM
    kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    edited 2 October 2014 at 4:29PM
    My niece did this at the beginning of the summer holidays. She really enjoyed herself. I'm waiting for my son to turn 16, so that he can participate, as he wants to sign up.
  • My son did the 3 week version of this during the last summer holidays. I will not say that he enjoyed every minute of it, but he did enjoy the vast majority. He returned much more mature than when he went away.

He got to keep the sleeping bag, mattress, 2 t-shirts and a hoodie; and they even gave half of the fee back at the graduation ceremony.

I was a bit suspicious when I first heard of the scheme - it seemed too good to be true. But with the benefit of hindsight, I heartily recommend it.
    [size=-2] If this post was unhelpful, please tell me.
    If it was helpful, please tell everyone - Press the [highlight]Thanks[/highlight] button!
    [/size]
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The Easter one looks great but my lad should/will be revising for GCSEs.
    A summer one will be more interesting...
  • my child was thrilled with letter from Cameron he got

he later sold it on ebay .

he bought 2 x mars bars with the money
  • why is it not in Wales !!
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Daughter did it last year and had a great time, although the Graduation was postponed and we couldn't make the re-scheduled one :(.

Thinking about it we haven't had the certificates etc which were meant to be posted out to those who couldn't attend.

Will have to chase it up. :beer:
  • adouglasmhoradouglasmhor Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Photogenic
    why is it not in Wales !!

See my theory above.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides