Going to a barber's for a hair cut

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
7 replies 1.5K views
EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
9.2K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I got bored with my hair and cut loads off and then kinda whooshed it up into something resembling Robert Pattinson's bedhair look for Twilight.. and OH actually liked it. :eek:

It was pretty low maintenance but the tangles were a PITA. I got a Tangle Teaze from Selfridges (ace) and rediscovered my natural side parting.

At the moment then it's either up or flat but having grown some, when flat one side is starting to look a bit long and bedrgaggled. Much as I'd love to do a Tommy Joe Ratliff albeit black, it's not long enough.

So I'm thinking of going to a barber's and getting a bloke haircut but old school. Not layered all over girly Emma Watson. More like katherine Hepburn in that movie when she plays a bloke. :rotfl:

Do I take pics ? Is the barber gonna faint ? Are there websites I can look at ?

OH just laughed and told me not to go to his barber.

Replies

• fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the only problem with that plan is finding a really good barber...my OH has been to pretty much all of the barbers in our town and all they can do is a short back and sides, old school man hair doesn't seem to be done very much these days.
    You might be better finding a unisex hairdressers who are used to doing a greater range of styles. Lots of hairdressers put pictures of their work on facebook these days so might be worth having a browse and seeing if you can see any that have done similar cuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I always take pics to the hairdressers if I am having a restyle.

In fact I am having my shoulder length hair cut tomorrow into a short, punky style bob. I have some pics saved on my ipad which I will take with me (printer not working otherwise I would print pics). Also, my hairdresser will get some style books out too for us to look through.

There are some great websites with lots of styles. I searched for bob hairstyles for fine hair. So maybe you could search for short hairstyles for thick / curly / straight hair (depending on your hair type).

As someone with poker straight hair I am envious that you can style your hair upwards. I always wanted hair like David Bowie in the film Labyrinth with long bits sticking out everywhere, or Marilyn Monroe waves. My hairdressers just laughs at me when I ask for this. :)
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My barber told me he does get women coming in for boyish style haircuts so yes it does happen..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped going to the barber when I was told - "you will get half price from now-on and you never need to worry about an appointment!" :eek: :D
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use this as a good reason to go out of town? Plenty of alternative hairdressers are out there. Bit of shopping, meet up with mates, that kind of thing?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Edwardia wrote: »
    I got bored with my hair and cut loads off and then kinda whooshed it up into something resembling Robert Pattinson's bedhair look for Twilight.. and OH actually liked it. :eek:

It was pretty low maintenance but the tangles were a PITA. I got a Tangle Teaze from Selfridges (ace) and rediscovered my natural side parting.

At the moment then it's either up or flat but having grown some, when flat one side is starting to look a bit long and bedrgaggled. Much as I'd love to do a Tommy Joe Ratliff albeit black, it's not long enough.

So I'm thinking of going to a barber's and getting a bloke haircut but old school. Not layered all over girly Emma Watson. More like katherine Hepburn in that movie when she plays a bloke. :rotfl:

Do I take pics ? Is the barber gonna faint ? Are there websites I can look at ?

OH just laughed and told me not to go to his barber.
    I feel your dilemma. I am going for a boyish cut today and it was hell finding a unisex salon where the stylist would agree to give me a buzz cut. I went to a salon but walked out with a long pixie because the lady could not bring herself to cut it all off :p

So now I have to go to a second salon to get it even shorter.

My advice is whatever you decide stick to your guns and get the haircut you want the first time around.
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't done the deed. I'm looking for photos at the moment so that I can take them wherever.

I've had my hair really short before and it's been dyed twice (red professionally came out really orange eww) and black (did myself). When I had black hair lots of ppl thought that was my natural colour (it's actually very dark brown).

I'm toying with idea of some some organic semi-permanent black dye first to see if I like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals