edited 2 September 2014 at 4:16PM in Old Style MoneySaving
406 replies 107.5K views

Replies

• Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sloe gin/vodka recipe
    Into a large glass jar with tight fitting lid or demi john pour 1 bottle of vodka or gin, add 1&half lbs sloes, three quarters lb of sugar. Seal top & leave for 6 weeks shaking occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain through muslin & bottle.

I also have a recipe for Irish Cream if anyone wants it.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Sloe gin/vodka recipe
    Into a large glass jar with tight fitting lid or demi john pour 1 bottle of vodka or gin, add 1&half lbs sloes, three quarters lb of sugar. Seal top & leave for 6 weeks shaking occasionally to dissolve sugar. Strain through muslin & bottle.

I also have a recipe for Irish Cream if anyone wants it.
    Hester

Thanks! Also, I'd love the Irish cream recipe. My mum had an old recipe but seems to have lost it :(
  • nursemaggienursemaggie Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just spent the afternoon downloading kitting patterns from this site.

http://bernat/yarnspirations

click on patterns and then free patterns and you will get 202 pages of 12 patterns for knitting or crocheting. Lots of gifts for everyone. Just what we are all looking for. They are downloadable and printable.
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irish Cream recipe

1 large egg
    1 large tin evaporated milk
    2 tbs Camp coffee

Mix together & leave to stand for 5 minutes

Add
    1 tin of condensed milk
    2 drops of vanilla essence
    1 tsp glycerin, mix well together & leave for 5 minutes.
    Fill the empty condensed tin full of whisky & add to the mixture.
    Mix well, leave for 15 minutes, then bottle.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Pooky wrote: »
    I've made 36 jars of apple chilli jelly which is a great way of using up the seasons glut.
    Around 2kg of apples cut into chunks - don't bother peeling or coring - just chuck everything in a large pot with enough water to cover - bring to the boil and simmer for around 30 mins until it's all really broken down.
    Once it's cooled slightly you need to strain the juice off using a jelly bag (a muslin square or tea towel in a colander will do) - don't squeeze or you'll get cloudy juice. Leave to drain until it stops dripping (a couple of hours).
    Measure the juice and for ever 500ml of juice add 450gm of jam/preserving sugar. mix well and bring to the boil - skim off the scum and turn to a simmer - at this point add some finely chopped fresh chillies and some roasted chilli flakes ( for 2kg of apple I normally add 3 fresh chillis and 2 tea spoons of chilli flakes which gives it a subtle kick). All to simmer until it reaches setting point - around half an hour should do it and then pour into warmed sterilized jars.
    As it cools the chilli bits float to the top so keep turning and shaking the jars for the next couple of hours to evenly distribute the bits.
    Great with cheese and hot and cold meats, stirred through mash or just spread on a chunk of french stick.

This sounds amazing!
    I'm going to make some but trying to work out whether to scale up or scale down.
    With 2kg of apples how many jars does this make ?(and what size jars please ?)
    thanks ever so much
    Comp Wins 2014 - £200 Thats Life Mag Win
  • edited 26 September 2014 at 9:10PM
    natlienatlie Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 September 2014 at 9:10PM
    Hi All,
    Finally mincemeat recipe (worth noting this is almost delia's recipe with a few changes - like not cooking it for 3 hours)

1lb (450g) grated bramley (or other cheap) apples
    8oz (225g) Vegetable suet (you can use meat suet)
    12oz (350g) raisins
    8oz (225g) Sultanas
    8oz (225g) currants
    8oz (225g) dried cranberries (if your quick Aldi are doing lovely orange flavoured ones this week) you could also use dried cherries
    12oz (350g) soft dark brown sugar
    zest and juice of 2 oranges and 2 lemons
    2oz slivered almonds
    4 level tsp mixed spice
    half level tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg

Booze I use Disarronno (or aldi alternative) but you could also use: rum, brandy, whisky, cherry brandy or flavoured vodka

method: stir it all together in a huge bowl cover with a teacloth leave for at least a day to soak then jar
    DMP: £30,668 30,003
    EF: £2054.61/£5000
    Debt Free: May 2024
    Income from decluttering: June £147.20 July £44
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    natlie, hope you don't mind but I've posted a link to your mincmeat recipe on the October Grocery Challenge and added it to the recipe index there. :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • edited 25 September 2014 at 1:18PM
    kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2014 at 1:18PM
    A forumite asked for my instructions on how to make a quilt so here's my pictorial guide (I apologise to actual quilters as it's probably not the correct way but it's how I made :)
    imagejpg1_zps68efccfc.jpg
    :

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg1_zps159d368d.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg2_zpsc95acb75.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg3_zps8f5f4e55.jpg

I use a template cut out from an old cardboard box to make my squares and buy second hand sheets, pillowcases, curtains etc. from charity shops to make my squares.

I cut shapes out of felt squares (hobbycraft do them individually or in packs as do cheap book shops like The Works) and hand stitch them on in contrasting coloured thread.

For the backing fabric I use cheap ikea fleeces and you can pick up the wadding quite cheaply from places like Dunelm mill.

For specific patterned fabrics (like the dark blue animal one here) I buy fat quarters from ebay for around £3. One fat quarter should make around 4 15cmx15cm squares.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds amazing!
    I'm going to make some but trying to work out whether to scale up or scale down.
    With 2kg of apples how many jars does this make ?(and what size jars please ?)
    thanks ever so much

The jars I used were around around 180mls and it made 11 full ones and a half jar we had to eat that night (to save it going off :D)

I've made 3 batches this year, everyone that visits seems to ask to take one or two home when they go.......they're only visiting for my jelly!!!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    A forumite asked for my instructions on how to make a quilt so here's my pictorial guide (I apologise to actual quilters as it's probably not the correct way but it's how I made :)
    imagejpg1_zps68efccfc.jpg
    :

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg1_zps159d368d.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg2_zpsc95acb75.jpg
    http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/AmberLM1988/Crafty%20things/imagejpg3_zps8f5f4e55.jpg

I use a template cut out from an old cardboard box to make my squares and buy second hand sheets, pillowcases, curtains etc. from charity shops to make my squares.

I cut shapes out of felt squares (hobbycraft do them individually or in packs as do cheap book shops like The Works) and hand stitch them on in contrasting coloured thread.

For the backing fabric I use cheap ikea fleeces and you can pick up the wadding quite cheaply from places like Dunelm mill.

For specific patterned fabrics (like the dark blue animal one here) I buy fat quarters from ebay for around £3. One fat quarter should make around 4 15cmx15cm squares.

Great quilt!

I use nearly all reclaimed fabric in my quilts, old bedding, curtains, pillowcases, shirts etc (check the £1 rail in your local charity shop if they have one - mens cotton shirts have a lot of fabric in ). It's a lovely way to do a quilt with lots of textures and patterns.

You can use fleece as the wadding too if you don't want it to puffy - easier to run through the machine if you're quilting too.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.