Broadband slow (TalkTalk)

edited 27 August 2014 at 8:49PM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 781 views
gay_guygay_guy
878 Posts
edited 27 August 2014 at 8:49PM in Broadband & Internet Access
This morning I got superpowered fibre installed because my last router what I had was old and the signal kept dropping.

Now its even worse.

Reason why I wanted superpowered fibre installed so I can get internet pages to load fast, the pages take 5 - 10 mins at the most to load.

I shouldn't have agree to this, my last router wasn't that good as my signal keeps dropping but at least the pages loaded within seconds.

Is this normal when its taking ages to load? its really annoying me :(

Replies

• Sun-Is-FunSun-Is-Fun Forumite
    217 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    No, with fibre broadband your internet should be super quick !

What speed are you connecting at? This should be readable by accessing your router.

Something is amiss somewhere - either with your computer (most likely) or with your phone set up in wiring in your house.
  • mjfp509 wrote: »
    No, with fibre broadband your internet should be super quick !

What speed are you connecting at? This should be readable by accessing your router.

Something is amiss somewhere - either with your computer (most likely) or with your phone set up in wiring in your house.

Its not my PC as its a brand new system which I got from a PC store and still paying fortnightly payments as I only got it a few months back.

Having look on the letter what I received with the router it states on the following letter which I have just noticed now.

1. You will go live anytime up to midnight.

2. For the first 10 days after your line goes live, we will continue to adjust it so you get the best broadband performance. During this time your speed could fluctuate and the connection may be intermittent - this is normal.

I think this is the reason why its going slow (Number 2)
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you testing speed vie ethernet cable connection or wifi ??
  • edited 28 August 2014 at 10:11AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 August 2014 at 10:11AM
    But if yesterday was the install day, you may not have yet been connected to FTTC at the street cab at 8.34pm. That's why it say 'up to midnight'. Has your ISP actually confirmed the switchover yet? It's not unknown for OR to fail an appointment.
    Speed may fluctuate over the first ten days, but with FTTC you should see an immediate speed increase over ADSL.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides