Banishing the black cloud

in Debt Free Diaries
219 replies 14.9K views

Replies

• maggieconmaggiecon Forumite
    408 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    So its been an eventful few days to say the least, just after my last post my SIL rang to tell me she has cervical cancer, its stage one and the doctor has assured her the operation on Tuesday has a 99% chance of removing it. But it has left me totally shell shocked to say the least.

Hubby has given me £240 of his wages this weekend so he kept £120 for himself, although he paid £40 towards his debt, £20 for petrol for the week and also bought himself some tools for work, so cant complain.

I just checked my bank account and I forgot that I had to pay £120 towards my daughters school fees on top of the £100 of my overdraft I only have £145 of my wages left. I also realised that I forgot to add some additional debts to my original list. so new debt list is as follows;

American Express £1,500.00
    HMRC £930.00
    Solicitor (house purchase) £430.00
    Council Tax £1,800.00
    Next £80.00
    Argos £210.00
    Credit Union loan £450.00
    Credit Card husband £100.00
    Excess on insurance claim for oil spill £100
    Loan from BIL for hubbys car £1000
    TOTAL £6,600.00

I could really be doing with the £300 I lent my bro but after his wife's news, now is not the time to be asking for it. I will wait to next weekend until after her operation.

I really need to focus on reducing my grocery bill to save some more money. Meal plan for the week is
    Tomorrow - Bacon and Courgette pasta (all ingredients bought)
    Tuesday and Wednesday -Chilli Con Carne (just need mince, kidney beans, rice, onion and a red pepper)
    Thursday and Friday - Chicken Curry ( Chicken breasts, curry paste, onion)

408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Still a bit annoyed at the fact I forgot about £1100 of extra debt that I had, but on a more positive note my daughter arrived home yesterday with a cheque from her dad for £200 towards her new school uniform.

I am shocked to say the least as he has never paid any child support and daughter is now 14, I know there will be a motive behind it but I will still keep it. Daughters school blazer is £75 alone, it normally costs me about £500 to kit the two kids out for school.

So I now have my £145 in the bank plus the £200 to put towards debt this week, and I will set aside the money hubby give me to pay for groceries. Unfortunately my sisters 30th is this weekend and off course she wants everyone to go to an expensive restaurant and she will also require an expensive present.

I also got an email from Lloyds to say that I was approved for a cc with 0% balance transfer for 18 months and 0.7% transfer fee. I will pay off Next and Argos using my AMEX and then transfer the total to new cc thus reducing the amount of companies I owe money to.

Its amazing how this diary is helping me to focus on reducing my debt. I wished I had started sooner.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    I booked today off to babysit my niece whilst her mum has an op. Glad I did as I am a feeling a bit sick today. I need to do some work from home but then I will take her down the town and buy her some wellie boots for her birthday.

Dreading my sisters 30th this weekend, I was just pricing the restaurant she wants to go to for her party, the cheapest starter is £7, I asked her to change it but she is refusing. I will be lucky to get away with spending £100 on her birthday this weekend by the time I get her a present. :(
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sitting typing this whilst looking out at the rain and lightning, it hasnt stopped since 6pm!

Not a very MSE day today, got niece her nice new Wellies, £7 and my daughter her new shoes for back to school, £40. They are Clarks and I don't mind paying for them as she got the same shoes last year and they did her the full year, whereas the year before I think I ended up buying about 3 pairs of cheap shoes.

Made my Chilli Con Carne that I had meal planned, it was terrible, why is it every time I cook mince it goes all watery and tasteless I don't know what I am doing wrong. To make matters worse I doubled up the recipe to use the leftovers for Enchilada fillings tomorrow. Will maybe leave it overnight and see if thickens up.

Silver Lining for today:- SiL operation was a success and I spent a great day with my niece.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Didn't get to update diary yesterday as my son took a bad asthma attack last night so ended up at A&E. Quick burst of the nebuliser and some steroids and we were home an hour later, I just hate seeing him like that.

Its payday again today thankfully. Hubby gets paid tomorrow. I am going to offer him £50 tonight to cover his petrol etc next week and ask him to give me his cheque before he cashes. Once he has the cash in his hand that's when he gets carried away.

I will set aside the rest of my wages to live on this week and cover the cost of my sisters birthday party and use his wages towards debt repayment or at least put it into another account to set aside as I have a few bills coming my way this month: two school uniforms and DD's 14th birthday.

Silver lining for today: Its payday and son is feeling a lot better. Oh and the weather is lovely.
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Hi Maggiecon - you're not wittering on to yourself, I'm reading it!
    I know what you mean about writing it all down focussing you and it actually also makes me feel better in a strange way - more in control I suppose.
    Good luck with your diary - I've subscribed (I am a nosey old b*gger though!)
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Maggiecon - you're not wittering on to yourself, I'm reading it!
    I know what you mean about writing it all down focussing you and it actually also makes me feel better in a strange way - more in control I suppose.
    Good luck with your diary - I've subscribed (I am a nosey old b*gger though!)

Thanks for reading, I might just subscribe to your diary too (I'm also a nosey b*gger LOL)
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am having a really cr*p time at the minute so I thought if I update my diary it might help me get some !!!! of my chest so to speak.

I didn't eat well yesterday, it started off with having no breakfast because I slept in and then had a crunchie at 11 o'clock tea which didn't help my mood. I know this is my own fault. Didn't speak to Hubby yesterday evening as was still really annoyed at him from the night before, he lay on the sofa watching TV in the living room while I was trying to sort son out who was taking a bad asthma attack!!

I then offered hubby £50 for this week and he said no chance he needs more money than this to live on for a week! OMG I would love someone to hand me £50 to live on. I completely lost it through the money down and told him to sort out our £6.5k of debt. At which point he said how they hell do we have that amount of debt!!! GRRRR I think I have only shown him the spread sheet of our expenditure and debts about a million times.

Went to bed in a real bad temper and couldn't sleep for ages, woke this morning still felling pretty much the same. I noticed hubby took a tenner from the £50 I left out for him yesterday. He is so bad with money this week alone he took £120 out of his wages before he gave it to me, then I notice £10 missing from the bank card, then he needed another £20 for petrol on Tuesday, needed another £15 for petrol on Thursday and that's another £10 today so in the space of a week he has £175.

...After typing that last paragraph hubby has just rang to apologise for being a t1t. Perfect timing. Now I feel a bit guilty. He got rained off at work today ( he was roofing) so only £260 of wages home with him. At least he spent the £10 he took this morning on groceries and is making me some lunch.

Silver lining for today - Its Friday, and I am getting lunch made for me.

This diary really does help calm me down.
  • A rant and a vent does you the world of good - carry on!
    Hope your lunch is good - you deserve it!
  • edited 10 August 2014 at 2:54PM
    maggieconmaggiecon Forumite
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 10 August 2014 at 2:54PM
    I have been MIA for 48 hours, too embarrassed to come on here to say how bad the money situation has been this weekend.

In preparation for sisters 30th yesterday, I went to River Island on Friday evening and bought myself a new dress for £30, hubby a new shirt for £20 and sisters birthday present (new handbag and purse £30). I came home feeling great as my DD convinced me the dress was gorgeous on she said I deserve it as I never buy myself clothes. Any how went to get my nice black shoes out and discovered they were destroyed with mildew and had to go in the bin. And I decided I wasn't for spending more money on shoes to complete the outfit, so decided to wear some of my old clothes out instead. :mad:

On top of that I had to buy a new ironing board, £30 in home bargains, but its a really good one, £30 for electric, £30 for petrol for my car. I also paid of one of my debts, the £100 excess for the oil spill at our house to the insurance company so that was a good spend.

Then everything went pear shaped last night, we went to the fancy restaurant and I had a burger and shared a dessert with hubby, no starters bill came out £233 for 7 people, then SIL decided sister shouldn't pay either!! I had four £20's in my hand trying to pay in my share plus contribution towards tip and she just took the £80 out of my hand and put it towards the bill!! Then we came home and sister insisted we go for a couple of drinks so hubby being the most generous person I know bought three rounds for another £40, I only had one drink as I had training this morning. So all in all I had a burger half a desert, one glass of wine and a West Coast Cooler and it cost me £120:eek::eek::eek:

I have £35 left in my bank account and £20 in my purse to do me to payday on Thursday, hubby only gave me £170 of his wages, I don't even know what he did with the rest, and he needs to take two days of this week to study for exams so that's only £180 this week of wages for him.

Kids and hubby have just produced a shopping list the length of your arm too for me to take to Asda, I will probably have to go into the overdraft this week now to cover it.

I have just checked the calendar I have three pay checks until the mortgage comes out on the 1st, Mortgage total is £630 for our house and £520 for our rental, We get £400 for rent so we still have to put £750 towards it. divided across 3 pay checks that's £250 per week to put away. That leaves us £190 per week to live on, not counting hubbys wages. I have two kids to get school uniforms for, and daughter's 14th birthday at the end of the money. I don't think there will be any more debt busting this month. Will make minimum payment on cc, £40 and weekly £10 to CU loan and see whats left at the end of the month.

I cant buy sons school uniform until he gets his GCSE results as he might not get back into the grammar if his grades aren't good enough. DD said her dad has offered to pay for her school uniform only problem is she is a size 8-10 and he insists on buying her size 16 clothes as he says she shouldn't wear Skimpy clothes:mad::mad:.

After her begging me not to let him buy her the uniform we have devised a cunning plan, she is going to go to the uniform shop with him and let him buy the uniform and then I will take her back to the shop and and exchange it for clothes that actually fit :rotfl:

Silver linings for today: planning a nice sit down meal with the kids tonight which we don't do often enough. I have all the ironing finished, and my friends parents just gave me the carpet out of their spare bedroom, which is like new, to put in my bedroom.

black-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion