MSE News: Plusnet to hike phone costs – but you can leave penalty-free if you're hit

in Phones & TV
34 replies 6K views
"Many Plusnet customers will be hit with price rises, including line rental increases, from 23 September"...
Read the full story:

Plusnet to hike phone costs – but you can leave penalty-free if you're hit

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• This affects me and actually pleased it's now as was looking to change TV, phone and internet to get better deal.
    Will be interesting to see if they try to give me a 'deal' after putting the price up!
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there some sort of logic behind charging some customers £15.95 a month and some £15.99 a month line rental that I'm missing?
  • but the queue was too big!

It was about 7:15 pm and I got an automated message saying that since the queue was 45 mins long, I was unlikely to be spoken to before the line closed.

I was going to cancel anyway as I'm moving house (and will be moving every 6 months for the next two years due to a new job), but no wonder they have shortened the notice period you have to give them...
  • ViberduoViberduo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I signed up on 31st may and paying the lower line rental, I may end up staying as I get 6 months fibre unlimited for £9.99 a month and cannot find anyone cheaper than that.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know why all the phone companies shave been increasing their prices like mad over the last few years - is it that the previous prices were loss leaders, have BT Openreach line provision charges gone up a lot or are they trying to be cleverer, rather than having low prices they are now playing lure people in with cashback/discounts and then charge them much more once the special has expired?
    I think....
  • VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    Anyone know why all the phone companies shave been increasing their prices like mad over the last few years - is it that the previous prices were loss leaders, have BT Openreach line provision charges gone up a lot or are they trying to be cleverer, rather than having low prices they are now playing lure people in with cashback/discounts and then charge them much more once the special has expired?

The phone line charges generate profit. Its the BB deals that can be loss leaders/break even/perhaps make a small profit. Like this -
    Viberduo wrote: »
    I signed up on 31st may and paying the lower line rental, I may end up staying as I get 6 months fibre unlimited for £9.99 a month and cannot find anyone cheaper than that.
  • waqasahmedwaqasahmed Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I just dont bother with any company that isn't Virgin tbh because youre still effectively forced in to buying a landline...

With Virgin, youre not forced in to buying one.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Richard Branson fan club must be in the millions by now.
    At least they get something for their money.
    Why does anyone listen to Justin Bieber I'll never know.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    I just dont bother with any company that isn't Virgin tbh because youre still effectively forced in to buying a landline...

With Virgin, youre not forced in to buying one.
    Pity that they only cover part of the country. I can't see them digging up the rest of the country to install cable.

We're excluded so Virgin is no-go territory for us.

And I HATE the Virgin Media ads featuring RB in a supposedly humorous capacity even though Liberty bought Virgin Media a few months ago and VM is theoretically a Branson-free area.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I had the Plus e-mail. We've had Plus BB for some years and recently converted to fibre. We pay full price because as existing customers we did not qualify for any discounts.

We don't need a landline. Using MSE links, I'm checking whether Hyperoptic is available in our area, waiting for a call back.

Of the other packages mentioned by MSE, EE fibre looks most interesting to us. But ISTR that EE(/Orange) BB had poor reviews. Has anybody recent experience of EE fibre?

BTW, MSE mentions a £100 Amazon voucher code valid to 31 July using the MSE link. I checked and it's now valid to 31 August.

The cynic in me wonders whether EE have increased/will soon increase their prices; same for other suppliers. Harrumph!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides