boiling hot train

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
26 replies 3.4K views

Replies

• Fen1 wrote: »
    I asked the platform guard if he could inform the driver. I was told 'Can't do nothing about it. The switch is under the carriage'.

So he COULD do SOMETHING about it?

He didn't though, so obviously you didn't matter to him :rotfl:

Anyhoo, depending on the traction type, the aircon may be controlled from the driving cab, independently from each coach, or from controls underneath. (if aircon exists at all)

It is highly unlikely that a unit would be allowed to enter service with the aircon set to "warm" in this weather. Therefore, it was probably faulty. As a previous poster said, would you rather that the train was taken out of service/journey cancelled?

Complain to the train company, they'll fault the unit to their engineering team, and it may get fixed. Remember, fixing aircon is expensive, somewhat prohibitively so. Fingers crossed!
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you try changing to another carriage? It is possible there was a fault but other parts of the train were cooler.
  • Another possibility that someone deliberately set the heating high :D
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    martindow wrote: »
    Did you try changing to another carriage? It is possible there was a fault but other parts of the train were cooler.

Answered in the OP - although the next sentence make it seem like they wouldn't have done so even if the rest of the train had been empty, just to be bl00dy-minded!
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Everyone in the carriage had to sit in horrible heat for the rest of their journeys. No- we could not change carriages as the train was full. And why should we have to change carriages?
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I feel for you, had a similar experience recently.

Got on a very full train, seats only free in one carriage. I soon found out why once the train left the station- the electrics were off in that carriage, so no air con, no lights (plunged into total darkness passing through a long tunnel) and exit doors taped shut.

The type of train where you can only open windows above the exit doors. So not in the carriages.

Was one of the hottest days of the year at the hottest time of the day.

A nightmare and a very long twenty minutes!
  • LexyBoyLexyBoy Forumite
    78 Posts
    sniggings wrote: »
    as I said it's not impossible, the platform guard was hardly saying it's impossible he was saying he couldn't be [email protected]

Or more accurately that he didn't think it worth being hauled before a disciplinary hearing and potentially losing his job for a gross breach of safely procedures.
  • sniggingssniggings Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    LexyBoy wrote: »
    Or more accurately that he didn't think it worth being hauled before a disciplinary hearing and potentially losing his job for a gross breach of safely procedures.

exactly, that or any number of other reasons, none of which make turning the heat down impossible but as i said inconvenient, which was my point.
  • StigyStigy Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Was the heating definitely on, or was it just a full train on a hot day with no Air-Con? I work on un-Air Conditioned trains a lot and even when empty, on a hot day the temperature inside can be around 45c....Or so it seems at least! Add a few hundred passengers to the equation...You get the idea.
  • BollotomBollotom Forumite
    957 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Platform guard not allowed to muck about with train. Driver not allowed to muck about with things on the outside/underneath of the train. As I said tech at station in advance unless a short journey. Also no info if third rail but wouldn't make a difference. Not qualified to do it then disciplinary if you even try. :cool:
  • sniggingssniggings Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Bollotom wrote: »
    Platform guard not allowed to muck about with train. Driver not allowed to muck about with things on the outside/underneath of the train. As I said tech at station in advance unless a short journey. Also no info if third rail but wouldn't make a difference. Not qualified to do it then disciplinary if you even try. :cool:

the customer wanted the heat turned down, I'm sure they wouldn't have cared who did it,the request was a cooler cabin, not for the guard or driver to do it,can't you see that.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals