Forum Home» Motoring

stop/start - Page 55

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

stop/start

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Motoring
558 replies 24.4K views
15051525355

Replies

  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topdaddy wrote: »
    Theyre not. A X5 AND a X6 are similar prices and are comparable. Agreed?

    Your stance of "you cant compare cars that arent the same price" seems to go against what you said earlier today?
    Topdaddy wrote: »
    a base model isnt as good as the top of the range model regardless of marques or model.

    By deciding if one is "better" than the other, then you're comparing them - yet you just said you cant compare cars of different prices?

    So on one hand you said the ST was better than a 1.6TDI Zetec, but then subsequently you said you couldnt compare the two because they werent the same price?

    Which is it?
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
  • motorguy wrote: »
    Your stance of "you cant compare cars that arent the same price" seems to go against what you said earlier today?



    By deciding if one is "better" than the other, then you're comparing them - yet you just said you cant compare cars of different prices?

    So on one hand you said the ST was better than a 1.6TDI Zetec, but then subsequently you said you couldnt compare the two because they werent the same price?

    Which is it?

    *sighs*
    A little bit if everyones lif is gone that'll never come back whilst im explain this bone stuff.
    Here goes. The st is better than the studio as it is the range topper and has specification that is exclusive to it. Ford sort of promote this as the "top of the range" but if not the st, which is performance based, the the titainium will be as it has the gadgets, and so also could be considered a range topper too. Bith these spefs are held in higher regard than the zetec spec. Ie they are better and priced accordingly. Now the base model (or the zetec as per your post) is considerably cheaper(base starting from 13995, st starting from 22295-a difference in price of approx 59%) and so for this difference you would expect a better car right? So you cannot compare the vehicles as they stand based on price but one would expect the dearer one to be better? Or not whatever, nothing would surpise me on this forum. So this leads us on to the similarly priced x's from bmw. Now they can be of the (virtually) same spec which would mean the spec wouldnt be the difference between the two cars(how could it be?) But the underlying car its self is the varible.
    This then in turn leads us on to your very earlier example of a 911. Its price (73 odd K) compared to 62 ish for the x6(according to parkers, the bimmer website is shocking, much worse than that what you would expect from typically germanic, well, germans) anyhoo, one would expect the x6 not to as good as a 911 but a comparison would be a little moot as they are completely different car types. As a generalisation, I would hazard a guess the 911 is percieved to be better but again, who knows how that will go on here.
    Finally, taking all that into account we have the comparison of the 1.4 mundane focus and the engineering benchmark that is the veyron. Again not directly comparable due to vehicle type cost etc. "This 1.4 focus is the best thing on four wheels and its much better than that veyron over there which I have also driven" said no one, ever.


    The veyron is betterif no one guessed, but disagree all you want with that.



    Got it?
  • edited 26 July 2014 at 8:23PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July 2014 at 8:23PM
    Topdaddy wrote: »

    so for this difference you would expect a better car right? So you cannot compare the vehicles as they stand based on price but one would expect the dearer one to be better?

    Again you missed mine and everyone elses point who contributeds point - more expensive doesnt necessarily mean "better", but you seem to think it does. If your requirements are not to have a performance engine and bucket seats, but are to have an economical car that is comfy for all the family then an ST isnt "better"

    Because "better" is subjective - its about your own needs, not someone elses.

    If that still doesnt make sense, ask a grown up.
    Topdaddy wrote: »

    This then in turn leads us on to your very earlier example of a 911. Its price (73 odd K) compared to 62 ish for the x6(according to parkers, the bimmer website is shocking, much worse than that what you would expect from typically germanic, well, germans) anyhoo, one would expect the x6 not to as good as a 911 but a comparison would be a little moot as they are completely different car types. As a generalisation, I would hazard a guess the 911 is percieved to be better but again, who knows how that will go on here.

    Again, than penny didnt drop there either did it?

    I wasnt comparing a 911 to an X6, i was saying - had you read it - that your objection to the X6 was based on practicality - its not practical, therefore its not a good car. I asked was a 911 not a good car because according to your "rule of thumb" its not practical, therefore must be a bad car? Should people not buy a 911 but buy a Panamera instead for example, because it can seat more people?

    So according to your logic the Panamera is the "better" car than a 911 because its more practical?

    Now, if that penny has finally dropped maybe you can see why dissing an X6 for not being practical is not really a good argument - people dont buy an X6 because its practical. They buy it because they like it and it does what they want of it.
    Topdaddy wrote: »

    Finally, taking all that into account we have the comparison of the 1.4 mundane focus and the engineering benchmark that is the veyron. Again not directly comparable due to vehicle type cost etc. "This 1.4 focus is the best thing on four wheels and its much better than that veyron over there which I have also driven" said no one, ever.


    The veyron is betterif no one guessed, but disagree all you want with that.



    Got it?

    Again, you havent grasped the subjectiveness of "better". If you wanted to carry 4 people which would be better a Veyron or a 1.4 litre Focus?
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
  • motorguy wrote: »
    Again you missed mine and everyone elses point who contributeds point - more expensive doesnt necessarily mean "better", but you seem to think it does. If your requirements are not to have a performance engine and bucket seats, but are to have an economical car that is comfy for all the family then an ST isnt "better"it is. The familu fit in it but you comprimise on economy

    Because "better" is subjective - its about your own needs, not someone elses.
    if you say so, reveiwers must then, by that reasoning, reveiw cars on an individuals needs and assess them as such
    If that still doesnt make sense, ask a grown up.
    I will when I find one
    Again, than penny didnt drop there either did it?

    I wasnt comparing a 911 to an X6I was, i was saying - had you read it - that your objection to the X6 was based on practicality - its not practical, therefore its not a good car. I asked was a 911 not a good car because according to your "rule of thumb" its not practical, thats not a rule, is it?therefore must be a bad carwho said that?? Should people not buy a 911 but buy a Panamera instead for example, because it can seat more people?no, id suggest the aston
    So according to your logic the Panamera is the "better" car than a 911 because its more practical?
    a panamera is more practical. Not sure why that would be better, comparing apples with pears
    Now, if that penny has finally dropped maybe you can see why dissing an X6 for not being practical is not really a good argument - people dont buy an X6 because its practical. why would they buy one? I cant think of a good reasonThey buy it because they like it and it does what they want of it.
    Again, you havent grasped the subjectiveness of "better". If you wanted to carry 4 people which would be better a Veyron or a 1.4 litre Focus?
    The veyron cos it you couod afford one then you would pay for a s class to transport the additional two people or even better than that you would transport each passeneger and make three trips. Then everyone gets to experience the engineering excellance that is VAGs masterpiece.
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    TD, your still spouting rubbish, well done. Can I order one of those Veyron betterif that you speak of?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • colino wrote: »
    TD, your still spouting rubbish, well done. Can I order one of those Veyron betterif that you speak of?

    Thats the best you could come up with? Hangyourheadinshame.
    Im not angry, just dissapointed.
  • DUTRDUTR Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topdaddy wrote: »
    The veyron cos it you couod afford one then you would pay for a s class to transport the additional two people or even better than that you would transport each passeneger and make three trips. Then everyone gets to experience the engineering excellance that is VAGs masterpiece.

    The Veyron is a nice car, but more so a feat of engineering for many reasons (you can read up on that elsewhere).
    Some cars are not avoided just because of cost.
    EG closer to home (for me) I ordered a MK7 with lots of options that takes it into R territory, the R would have been little more than a base model, it wasn't purchased on finance and an AMG A45 was possible too.
    To summarise, the car was purchased to satisfy what I wanted , not to please any observer, in fact the car it replaced was still mighty fine.
  • F1F93F1F93 Forumite
    366 posts
    Topdaddy wrote: »
    I understand that people diasagree. And it has been answered.

    Really? I don't see an end to the argument. Have you just decided that it's been answered?
    Topdaddy wrote: »
    "This 1.4 focus is the best thing on four wheels and its much better than that veyron over there which I have also driven" said no one, ever.

    Actually, said the organisers of European Car of the Year, which the Focus has won once and got two extra third places, and which the Veyron has won... oh yeah. Never.
  • F1F93F1F93 Forumite
    366 posts
    "it is. The familu fit in it but you comprimise on economy"

    So you have to compromise on something. How then is it better? That is illogical.
  • F1F93 wrote: »
    Really? I don't see an end to the argument. Have you just decided that it's been answered?


    do you want to discuss it? Sounds like you do.
    Actually, said the organisers of European Car of the Year, which the Focus has won once and got two extra third places, and which the Veyron has won... oh yeah. Never.

    They didnt say that and also the veron won car of the year and the decade from top gear. But i dont listen to awards because the 308 is this years winner meqning anyone with a focus should consider getting a pug.
    But good luck conivncing anyone of that.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support