MSE News: Contactless payments coming to London's Tube in September

"You'll be able to travel around London Underground using contactless payment cards from September, Transport for London has announced today...."
Read the full story:

Contactless payments coming to London's Tube in September

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where can I buy a wallet with a built-in Faraday cage (wire mesh)?

I demand the credit card providers offer a DISABLE option on the Contactless function.
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    EE customers with certain Android devices will also be able to pay with their phones using its Cash On Tap app.
    They'll have to be careful when [STRIKE]whacking[/STRIKE] gently placing these expensive devices against the yellow pad.

On another note, what happens if contactless doesn't work? I had a Cap One contactless credit card rejected on a bus last week, so had to get a taxi. Will contactless cards work as fluidly as oyster?
  • BollotomBollotom Forumite
    957 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    When the system goes tits up and accepts neither contactless nor Oyster and the self serve ticket machines fail, we can always go to the ticket office..oh, hang on :cool:
  • bestymanbestyman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »

I demand the credit card providers offer a DISABLE option on the Contactless function.

My contactless card wouldn't work the first time until I had chosen to make a contactless payment and had to enter my PIN, after this the card was set up.

So in effect, the card does come without the contactless facility until you choose to enable it.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • t0rt0iset0rt0ise Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »

Amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rfid
  • anotheruseranotheruser Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bollotom wrote: »
    When the system goes tits up and accepts neither contactless nor Oyster and the self serve ticket machines fail, we can always go to the ticket office..oh, hang on :cool:
    Oh, like it has already?
    Accept the future rather than fighting a dying cause...

HOWEVER:

Does this mean Oyster cards will become defunct?
    If I don't provide specifics to a question, don't ask for them in your answer.
    When I want specific answers, I'll provide the information.
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean Oyster cards will become defunct?

Not immediately, but probably within a few years.

The great advantage of oyster is that it's only rejected when you've run out of money. The disadvantage of contactless is that your bank can stop it, like what happened to me a few weeks ago. I have no idea why: I had plenty of limit left.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When the system goes tits up and accepts neither contactless nor Oyster and the self serve ticket machines fail, we can always go to the ticket office..oh, hang on

I've seen a non functioning Oyster barrier but never a meltdown which meant you couldn't use them at all. It seems a miniscule risk and although there are plenty who don't have contactless cards etc at present the number will grow quickly and in a couple of years almost everyone will wonder what the fuss was about except for the man who rejects all technology and there will be a few of those
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS