Green Deal Home Improvement Fund - door slammed shut 24 July no further applications

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
59 replies 7.9K views

Replies

• Smiley_DanSmiley_Dan Forumite
    948 Posts
    You still need approved companies to do the work, to ensure the work is done correctly and you need to ensure the work is actually being done.
    I'm not sure if that's required. We already vet builders ourselves using references etc with other building work. Guarantees for CWI etc already exist.
    With subsidized materials, people could buy them not actually use them then the whole thing has been a waste of money.
    Who would waste their money doing that?

There will always be waste no matter which way you do it, but for some reason the public sector always prefers complex byzantine 'schemes'.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with what has happened with this the rules were clear, it was fairly simple (get a gdar/epc, implement certain recommendations get the cashback).
    As I said elsewhere, it was not simple, it was a jungle of criteria and rules. This is what I mean by a 'scheme'.
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    You still need approved companies to do the work, to ensure the work is done correctly and you need to ensure the work is actually being done.

With subsidized materials, people could buy them not actually use them then the whole thing has been a waste of money.

Where with this, we know the work is actually been done and to a high standard by trained tradesmen not just some dodgy diy jobs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what has happened with this the rules were clear, it was fairly simple (get a gdar/epc, implement certain recommendations get the cashback).

People who have mist out have been over thinking it and getting confused, and not having a sense of urgency about applying for the voucher.

Sorry but the idea that commercial contractors guarantees worthwhile and high standard work being done is laughable. A fair amount of the loft insulation work that was done by the same contractors but under different schemes was at best shoddy, we had energy co's fulfilling their obligations by giving out energy saving bulbs that never got used.

I agree that just subsidising materials wouldn't have worked but the contracts are only interested in their commercial aims (quite rightly) and aren't some kind of safeguard system.

What should have happened is that applications for vouchers should have been required to be backed by a written quote for the work and include the applicants NI number to ensure it was actually initiated by the householder not bulk applied for speculatively where there is no current intention to do work and where the householder has no idea that a voucher has even been applied for.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • captainhindsight_2captainhindsight_2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    highguyuk wrote: »
    I fully disagree.

I've already posted several times regarding this as you will have seen and responded to. I work a full 40 hour week, so have researched what I wanted, got quotes in, agreed a price and organised for the GDAR in a 6 week period - only to be told that £120m (!) has been spent in only 6 weeks! Madness!

Not only that, circa £70m has been spent in 2 days!!!

It's fair enough that the money has gone much quicker than expected.

I am very p***ed off about this, as I have lost out almost £1m of turnover.

We had about 150 gdar (thats £15,000 it cost me) which we did for free (on the requirement that we do the install and they apply for the voucher within 48 hours) to the customer, send them the GDAR and then THEY didnt apply for the vouchers and are now ringing up complaining about it when they had over a week to do so.

There are some additional ones that didnt have 48 hours so thats fair enough.

But the ones who have had almost a week to fill out a 5 minute application form its there own fault and its cost me £15,000 and I will be sending them letters next week for not keeping to the agreed t&cs and expecting them to pay for the GDAR as was in the T&Cs.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley_Dan wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's required. We already vet builders ourselves using references etc with other building work. Guarantees for CWI etc already exist.

Who would waste their money doing that?

There will always be waste no matter which way you do it, but for some reason the public sector always prefers complex byzantine 'schemes'.

As I said elsewhere, it was not simple, it was a jungle of criteria and rules. This is what I mean by a 'scheme'.

I am sorry, but you need authorized companies to do the work, the general public do not know what quality of work is required and are very often misinformed.

A company selling subsidesed materials, could sell it to a 'sister' company then throw it away and they've made a shed load of money.

I am sorry but it was not complicated at all, it is just people over think it and get confused.
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Sorry but the idea that commercial contractors guarantees worthwhile and high standard work being done is laughable. A fair amount of the loft insulation work that was done by the same contractors but under different schemes was at best shoddy, we had energy co's fulfilling their obligations by giving out energy saving bulbs that never got used.

I agree that just subsidising materials wouldn't have worked but the contracts are only interested in their commercial aims (quite rightly) and aren't some kind of safeguard system.

What should have happened is that applications for vouchers should have been required to be backed by a written quote for the work and include the applicants NI number to ensure it was actually initiated by the householder not bulk applied for speculatively where there is no current intention to do work and where the householder has no idea that a voucher has even been applied for.

All this work has indipendent gurantees and insurances that cover the quality of the work even if the company that installed it goes bust.

A lot of the vouchers that have applied for will not get issued or not lead to an install. In this case, this money goes back into the pot and applications will open again.
  • highguyukhighguyuk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the vouchers that have applied for will not get issued or not lead to an install. In this case, this money goes back into the pot and applications will open again.

Possibly.

But we already had notification that the Gas Flue Heat Recovery was to be removed. What other alterations we will have before the schemes perhaps comes back online?
  • Smiley_DanSmiley_Dan Forumite
    948 Posts
    I am sorry, but you need authorized companies to do the work, the general public do not know what quality of work is required and are very often misinformed.
    But you can say that about any work. The trouble there is the building trade which is poor compared to Germany, Scandinavia.
    I am sorry but it was not complicated at all, it is just people over think it and get confused.

Well it was complicated enough to mean I couldn't use it despite needing measures done.
  • I 1ST applied for this 6 months ago and was told that they were awaiting funding.
    First batch of external Insulation-£50M @ £6,000... 2nd Batch £150M WITH GRANT REDUCED TO £4,000!.
    Application started earlier this week but then told that IN NATIONAL PARKS ETC PLANNING PERMISSION is required, which takes up to 8 weeks! Not only that but the authority, Brecon Beacons National Park, have jumped on the bandwagon and is charging £160 for the pleasure of reducing your fuel needs, IF GRANTED!?
    Result: NO CHANCE OF CLAIMING IN TIME! To make this fair, the scheme needs to run at least a year to enable those, like myself, who are being ripped off by our authority, an opportunity of a reasonable chance of a grant, like EVERYONE ELSE in the country
    To pensioners like me this has in my case, and probably others, meant that we will not be able to afford the extra £2,000!!
    Whilst all groups should be entitled surely Pensioners should have had some priority? All in all what a !!!! up and a classic case of unscrupulous people claiming multiple applications, many of which may never be used!
    ANOTHER ILL THOUGHT OUT GOVERNMENT MOVE, BROUGHT IN WITHOUT THINKING IT THROUGH! Diabolical.
  • edited 25 July 2014 at 10:26PM
    pathsofdarknesspathsofdarkness Forumite
    39 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 25 July 2014 at 10:26PM
    They've issued this about the GDHIF closure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/337133/GDHIF_consumer_information_for_website_FINAL.pdf

Doesn't look like they're offering refunds to those who got the assessment but weren't in time for the vouchers :(

Originally tried to get the assessment done through British Gas but when I rang up they told me that I should get someone else as I was interested in solid wall insulation and they wouldn't be able to provide that (I did say I just wanted the assessment from them as they were relatively cheap but was still told no). Eventually got one from someone else.

We were lucky and got our form submitted at 5pm yesterday! We're getting external solid wall insulation and got a bunch of quotes ranging from £9.5k to £17k (I emailed 27 companies, only eight actually came out for quotes, and one wanted payment up front). We've about 135 m2 walls on our semi.

What makes it difficult to compare is they don't all use the same insulation method and as a layperson I honestly didn't know which was best. Didn't go for the finance option because 7% is way too high.

I did find the system complicated and was only able to get my head around it by reading the guide on the main MSE site.
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

A company selling subsidesed materials, could sell it to a 'sister' company then throw it away and they've made a shed load of money.

- so that means that if you / I are GDHIF registered, and ;
    - you / I have a GD provider reference, all we need to do is
    - go to the landmark register, pick either a GDP or GDI
    - then we can claim speculative voucher to sell on

How many phantom [not committed to going ahead] vouchers were / are washing around the system for the minimum £1k let alone the higher value claim. Add to that the 'pumped up' 75% of the SWI of £6k and something is afoot, of course we won't know and neither will GOV till Easter nest year what the redemption figures actually are.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals