Green Deal Home Improvement Fund - door slammed shut 24 July no further applications

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
59 replies 7.9K views

Replies

• aggypanthusaggypanthus Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    I got a letter today from BG offering free insulation, it that offer now closed?
  • highguyukhighguyuk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's unbelieveable how so much money went in so little time. I also can't believe the amount of people allegedly claiming for Solid Wall works!

Personally, I'm gutted. Had engineers to quote, quote accepted and EPC/GDAR arranged for Monday morning (arranged prior to the announcement this week). I'm aware that even if the scheme was to come back online again, it won't be a generous as it is so this is now missed opportunity.
  • JohnandabbyJohnandabby Forumite
    510 Posts
    Whatever the intentions, the Govt seems to do exactly what is required to p*%& off both consumers and professionals. There should be a well-thought through scheme in place, with clear educational messages - not a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...

Absolute joke...
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...
    Sounds like an apt description for government in general. :rotfl: :T
  • Smiley_DanSmiley_Dan Forumite
    948 Posts
    There should be a well-thought through scheme in place, with clear educational messages - not a massive scrum for a fixed pot of money which ends up being grabbed by those rich/connected enough to get in line first...
    There shouldn't be a 'scheme' at all. Governments are rubbish at them. They should just subsidise the cost of materials. No rules, administration or bureaucracy.
  • edited 25 July 2014 at 5:04PM
    BraesideBraeside Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 25 July 2014 at 5:04PM
    An option would still be Green Deal. Although it is not as attractive as it was 24 hours ago, I would suggest a Green Deal survey, see what can be paid for, the Home Improvement Fund was not your only option. Your thoughts?
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its basically a repeat of the Solar PV FiT fiasco - scheme announced, no safeguards against the bulk installers mopping up capacity, budget hit very suddenly, with the whole thing being clamped down leaving those who've paid for surveys etc but who won't now get a grant out of pocket. By the Sunday papers we'll be awash with photos of sad looking people feeling ripped off, and so getting any future scheme off the ground will then be harder as people won't want to be caught the same way.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • captainhindsight_2captainhindsight_2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley_Dan wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a 'scheme' at all. Governments are rubbish at them. They should just subsidise the cost of materials. No rules, administration or bureaucracy.

You still need approved companies to do the work, to ensure the work is done correctly and you need to ensure the work is actually being done.

With subsidized materials, people could buy them not actually use them then the whole thing has been a waste of money.

Where with this, we know the work is actually been done and to a high standard by trained tradesmen not just some dodgy diy jobs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what has happened with this the rules were clear, it was fairly simple (get a gdar/epc, implement certain recommendations get the cashback).

People who have mist out have been over thinking it and getting confused, and not having a sense of urgency about applying for the voucher.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rang the Energy Saving Trust to voice my frustrations, and was advised to make a formal complaint on record which I did. The call operator suggested this, and even suggested if the volume of complaints was sufficient something may happen.

I'm not sure I believe that, but I'd encourage anyone who is affected by this or right royally peeved as I am, to ring and formally complain.
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who have mist out have been over thinking it and getting confused, and not having a sense of urgency about applying for the voucher.

I fully disagree.

I've already posted several times regarding this as you will have seen and responded to. I work a full 40 hour week, so have researched what I wanted, got quotes in, agreed a price and organised for the GDAR in a 6 week period - only to be told that £120m (!) has been spent in only 6 weeks! Madness!

Not only that, circa £70m has been spent in 2 days!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals