Redundancy-with conditions

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
9 replies 2.6K views
thriftychickthriftychick Forumite
198 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
I have been offered redundancy from my job however, they have said that if I get a job offer within 4 weeks, I won't be entitled to any redundancy pay. Does anyone know if this is legal?
Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends.:cool:

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are paying you more than statutory redundancy then they can impose any conditions they wish on the extra (assuming your contact is silent on the matter)

Quite whow they'd know & then enforce it I don't know
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask them what legislation gives them the right to claim back statutory redundancy.

This is a clear warning to tell no one about your job hunting.

What are the terms, any enhanced payments, pilon or garden leave.
  • thriftychickthriftychick Forumite
    198 Posts
    I'm getting 10 weeks pay for 4 years work provided I don't get a job offer within four weeks. Nothing in writing just second hand word of mouth from HR to my line Manager.

Thanks for replying.
    44.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting 10 weeks pay for 4 years work provided I don't get a job offer within four weeks. Nothing in writing just second hand word of mouth from HR to my line Manager.

Thanks for replying.

Are they paying PILON wanting you to work or go on garden leave.

this is important as is your weekly wage as redundancy can be capped.

With PILON and redundancy you would be due 8 weeks pay anyway, if close to an anniversary could be 9 weeks.

There could be a communication issue here.
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you work for a local authority? There is a rule which applies to Local Authorities and other statutory bodies which provides that if you are offered and accept a new job within the group (i.e. another organisation within the local authority) then you may have to repay your redundancy money, but the other side of the coin is that you are counted as having been continuously employed, so you would also retain all of your employment protection etc. The relavent law is a Statutory Instrument - The Redundancy Payments Modification Order.

I think that it only applies if you start the new job within 4 weeks. If there is a longer gap, you get to keep the redundancy payment but also start from scratch as a new employee so would not be protected by having been employed for over 2 years.

if you don't work for an organisation to which the Order applies then it would be down to the terms of your contract and to the terms of any compromise agreement you reach. If they want to add it in, then check that it refers to starting work (not accepting an offer) and then tell any new employer that you can start from [4 weeks and 1 day from your leaving date]. Or alternatively decline to agree and take the risk that your employer will then only pay your statutory 8 weeks instead of the full 10. Obviously your decision will depend a little on how quickly you expect to find work, and whether you think any new employer will agree to a slightly deferred start date.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • thriftychickthriftychick Forumite
    198 Posts
    I do work for a local authority (school). I have been given written notification of redundancy today and I leave tomorrow! Officially I leave on the 31 August.

The notice states that "if you are offered alternative employment by a similar organisation, before your notice period ends, and you start that employment within four weeks from the date of your termination of employment, you will not be entitled to a redundancy payment."

It sounds like won't get anything if I work before 29 September.
    44.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do work for a local authority (school). I have been given written notification of redundancy today and I leave tomorrow! Officially I leave on the 31 August.

The notice states that "if you are offered alternative employment by a similar organisation, before your notice period ends, and you start that employment within four weeks from the date of your termination of employment, you will not be entitled to a redundancy payment."

It sounds like won't get anything if I work before 29 September.

But you start with the continuity of service(if it is a qualifying post) thus keeping any service related benifit and future redundancy payments based on that service.

Something to consider is that some places may not be keen on inheriting that liability.

other jobs that don't qualify you still get the redundancy
  • Mersey_2Mersey_2 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Do you work for a local authority? There is a rule which applies to Local Authorities and other statutory bodies which provides that if you are offered and accept a new job within the group (i.e. another organisation within the local authority) then you may have to repay your redundancy money, but the other side of the coin is that you are counted as having been continuously employed, so you would also retain all of your employment protection etc. The relavent law is a Statutory Instrument - The Redundancy Payments Modification Order.

I think that it only applies if you start the new job within 4 weeks. If there is a longer gap, you get to keep the redundancy payment but also start from scratch as a new employee so would not be protected by having been employed for over 2 years.

That's very interesting TBagpuss, thanks!

I assume it doesn't apply to supply teachers, as I know a few teachers who retired with pension or took redundancy at 55 in Liverpool and then came back on supply a year later in the same school.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read the full Order - but I think if the gap between taking redundancy and returning to work is longer than 4 weeks it doesn't apply, so if there was a gap of a year it wouldn't be relevant.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals