Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

What did you find out about Morrisons after using your £5 vouchers? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

What did you find out about Morrisons after using your £5 vouchers?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
45 replies 7.4K views

Replies

• thedogsmumthedogsmum Forumite
    362 posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    It didn't cost them anything, their customers paid for it.

They are both business that make money selling things to customers. One way or another those customers pay for everything.

If the sun footed the bill then the cost of it would be factored into the price increase for it's advertisers. As a legitimate expense they incurred when increasing the sale of the paper.

If Morrisons footed the bill then the cost would be factored in when setting the price of goods.

So either way the customers end up paying for it.

Same with shopllifting - the store doesn't lose out, the customers just pay more....
  • ska_loverska_lover Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shopped at Morrisons every week until about 3 months ago - Fruit and Veg are normally as good as you would get elsewhere - but it was the meat that put me off eventually

Chicken injected with water and the 3 for a tenner meat deal is not a patch on Asdas, quality - wise.

Another thing that winds me up about Morrisons is when they have a good deal on something, most of the time there is none on the shelves. They advertise a BOGOF but don't refill the shelves of it
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • PennyForThem_2PennyForThem_2 Forumite
    673 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Lol

I live in a city so I can pick supermarkets as I please. I find Morrisons is good for meat and fish and definitely herbs as the newer, or refurbished, Morrisons have water spraying over herbs and some veg which keeps them fresher and herbs are stems in water.

Morrisons has a big advantage - it bones meat and probably will do whatever you ask with fish too. That is like a high street butcher. So I wanted leg of lamb (shank) boned - I picked up from supermarket shelf in its platic film wrapper with price and everything stuck on it and took to butcher counter and asked for de-boning. No probs. Boned and asked if wanted bone or not.

Extra service - can you see Mr T doing that?

Wines are good ( sorry but a 2.99 wine = like a 25p on the wine alone - rest is taxes and manufacture and packaging - yuk)

Having said that Aldi wines are well rated but not at that price.
  • SmidsterSmidster Forumite
    517 posts
    I often visit Morisons to check for Reductions and if they have good offers but did get a couple of vouchers from the promotion.

My main take aways were:

1) Maybe it was just when I was there but the selection was very limited with very little in the way of loose produce. Admittedly it was the worse I have ever seen it but not a good impression if people were visiting for he first time. What there was was also of very debatable quality.

2) How little fruit / veg you get for £5 in a supermarket - I am very lucky to be able to visit a good market and compared to what I get for £5 there the supermarket equivalent was poor. If I am honest I would rather pay a market trader £1.50 for 2 good punnets of strawberries as opposed to 2 punnets of poor quality ones in a supermarket for £3 (even if it is "free")

As now I will continue to use them as a last resort but the market is currently king.
  • DPJamesDPJames Forumite
    999 posts
    So on the whole then, a lot of people came to the same conclusion as myself. The fruit and veg was of very, very poor quality, and we won't be back anytime soon.
    A failed marketing excersice for Mr. M. Then, and another opportunity missed.

Morrisons position in the supermarket ratings looking even more vulnerable now then. But who knows, now that they've ditched the £1 locks on all their trolleys, the people will come flooding back! (Morons.)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Well I didn't learn anything from having the voucher, but I did learn something from this thread, and other thread.

NEVER EVER SHOP IN ALDI OR LIDL

Because once you do the fruit and veg in every other supermarket seems to go bad as soon as you enter the store.

Every body who gets bad fruit and veg at any supermarket always shops at aldi or lidl.

I think everybody likes to think they shop in the best supermarket, no matter what it is. But it seems that the only way some aldi and lidl shoppers can claim they are the best is by dragging down the other supermarkets.

They used to claim aldi was 30% cheaper, then they just claimed it was cheaper. Now they are saying it is the same price as Morrisons, well for apples at least, but Morrisons apples are full of grubs.

It's funny because I've had the exact opposite happen to me in that when I have bought fruit and veg from aldi it has gone bad a lot quicker than the items I buy from morrisons.
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything I have left - Pineapple, Kiwi, Carrot, Mushroom, Tomato, Spring Onion, lettuce, cucumber, Peppers, Parsnips, Squash, Sweet Potato - still going strong , and looks good for at least a few more days.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny because I've had the exact opposite happen to me in that when I have bought fruit and veg from aldi it has gone bad a lot quicker than the items I buy from morrisons.

That's the shopper law, when you buy fruit and veg from a supermarket that it not your normal one it is very poor quality and goes bad before you get it home.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So on the whole then, a lot of people came to the same conclusion as myself.

I've just been through the thread, and based on F&V alone I make it 12 in favour and 10 against. But 4 of the against said some good some bad or sometimes good sometimes bad, so I reckon they are half and half so should only be counted as half for each side.

So really the scores should be 14 to 8 in favour of Morrisons F&V
    The fruit and veg was of very, very poor quality, and we won't be back anytime soon.

I don't remember seeing anyone describing it as "very very poor", would you point out the post that did?
    A failed marketing excersice for Mr. M. Then, and another opportunity missed.

How do you know it failed, based on 22 opinions of which half were aldi lovers who would say the same about any other supermarket whether it was true or not.
    Morrisons position in the supermarket ratings looking even more vulnerable now then.

Oh yes, Mthe Morrisons board must be shaking in their shoes after reading this thread.
    But who knows, now that they've ditched the £1 locks on all their trolleys, the people will come flooding back! (Morons.)

You really cannot understand what you read, can you?

Show me where it says they have ditched the locks on all their trolleys.
    (Morons.)

You really have to ask yourself who is the Moron here, the people who are running a large business, getting paid large sums of money for doing it, and no doubt, getting a large bonus when they leave, whether they do a good job or not. Or some saddo who has no friends and has to scrabble around aldi to save a few pennies.
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • DPJamesDPJames Forumite
    999 posts
    I've just been through the thread, and based on F&V alone I make it 12 in fav..........

And thats where I stopped reading.

Your comments bore me. I have yet to see you agree with anything anyone says. You are never wrong about anything. You quote people too much. And I'm pretty sure you're only here to wind people up because there are no horses to punch in your neighbourhood.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support