in Credit Cards
32 replies 4.9K views

Replies

• bengal-stripebengal-stripe Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    EdwardS033 wrote: »
    Anyone who reads the financial press......

from five years ago....
    .......can tell you that Santander is consistently voted the worst bank for customer service.........
  • Love my 123 current account and credit card combo. Can't knock their service at all...
    Personal ISA Contributions Challenge - current £0 (as at 1 April 2014) / target £15,000 (deadline 31 Mar 2015)
  • The_BossThe_Boss Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    modusman...AVOID!!
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cardew wrote: »
    It would appear to be the OP's error.

However, what I fail to understand is why, on the strength of their one failed transaction, the OP takes the trouble to join MSE and offer advice that we all should avoid using the best value credit card available.

An inability to let go of a perceived 'slight' against them.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Archi_BaldArchi_Bald Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love my 123 credit card which I had for close to 2 years now with no problem ever. As I am a Santander Select customer, I also get 0% charges for foreign purchases which is handy as I travel a lot.
  • chrisg67chrisg67 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Whilst I agree that the OP ignored calls from their bank. They were told that the instruction had been set up when they applied for the card in bank (I was also told this).

Santander cannot expect people to drop everything and speak to them on the phone because they have called you. There are plenty of other ways of contacting customers nowadays (email, secure messaging on their IB service, SMS etc...).

I made a complaint and they kept ringing me - my phone does not ring for withheld numbers so they left a message (no details as to the subject - it's about your complaint, or it's about a problem with your account you about to incur charges, just a number to ring back on).

Basically I didn't care about the complaint - and I had to ring them back go through a queue press lots of digits on my phone keypad listen to lengthy menus only to be asked for the same information I'd just typed in by the operative.

I am now closing my 123 credit card and my 123 current account as they are terrible at customer service
  • planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who reads the financial press can tell you that Santander is consistently voted the worst bank for customer service and this is a typical example

i agree, and i have found them to be inept over the years, including more recently than 5 years ago. but i'm still confused about how this is an example of this.
  • planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisg67 wrote: »
    I am now closing my 123 credit card and my 123 current account as they are terrible at customer service

i have 1 S123CA nowadays, which i just use as a Savings Account. i wouldn't consider Santander as a 'full bank account' based upon previous experience.

i have no choice but 'work with' them as a company i work with uses an account with them. but whereas everything goes as planned with Barclays, Halifax and HSBC, Santander cause problems fairly consistently. they have lost 2 cheques so far this year, for example.

but: being able to save up to £20k at 3% on instant access is a good account to have access to in the current market.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    planteria wrote: »
    ................ whereas everything goes as planned with Barclays, Halifax and HSBC, ............
    My experiences with Halifax are that they are a total shambles and fail to carry out the most straight forward of instructions so they are at the bottom of my "opening an account with" list whereas Santander have not given me any problems over the many years I have been with them.
  • al25al25 Forumite
    175 Posts
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Love my 123 credit card which I had for close to 2 years now with no problem ever. As I am a Santander Select customer, I also get 0% charges for foreign purchases which is handy as I travel a lot.

Is the foreign purchase charge permanent or is this an offer valid until the end of summer? Cos I have the same combo and it states the 0% is valid until the end of summer.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES