edited 14 June 2010 at 3:32PM in Phones & TV
1.1K replies 372.6K views

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    webnise wrote: »
    It is confusing !

It is written on the website:

*Inclusive 01, 02,03, 0845 and 0870 and Phone Co-op mobile calls on the Evening and Weekend and Anytime tariffs are free for the first 60 minutes.

Tariff list also shows ZERO : http://www.thephone.coop/media/17242/residential_rates.pdf

Or Am I looking at wrong thing then?

You must be!

You are referring to the "zero" cost of calls on the Evening/Weekend and Anytime tariffs (which you have to pay a monthly charge for)
  • Domain.RiderDomain.Rider Forumite
    94 Posts
    Forumite
    I just switched my home phone from BT to Post Office Home Phone, and so far it's been fine - customer service have been responsive, friendly, and helpful.

Even BT's 'Retentions' team are rubbish. I wasn't planning to switch, but my last BT bill was unexpectedly higher than usual; my tiny discount had gone and I was being charged for 'Privacy at Home - Caller Id'. I knew caller id was now being charged, so rang to ask what 'Privacy at Home' was - turns out it's the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), which is free - and I'm already registered anyway. They couldn't explain why it was part of a charged bill item. I also asked why they hadn't notified me that my discount was ending, and they just said the contract had ended. I suggested that if the contract had ended, I'd go elsewhere, given there were cheaper deals elsewhere. They said I could renew the discount and they'd find a competitive deal. They would ring back with the offer the next day.

Of course, there was no call next day, so I signed up with Post Office, which was much cheaper. I then got a message from BT to ring them, so I did. A woman wanted to know why I was leaving - I told her, and said they hadn't called me as promised, with their offer. She played the 'a loyal customer deserves..' card and said she could give me the best deal, quoting a figure only marginally above Post Office's. I told her a loyal customer deserves the best deal without having to threaten to leave. I asked her to email me the offer details so I could compare offers and think them over. She promised to do so (twice).

Of course, there was no email from BT. Shortly before Post Office took over the line, I got another message to call BT. I called out of curiosity, and another woman wanted to know why I was leaving - she seemed to know nothing of my previous contacts with them. I explained again, and she made the cheap offer again. I told her that if they'd just given me that offer in the first place, or when I first queried my bill, I'd have stayed with them, but now it was too late - their abuse of 'customer loyalty' and broken promises had determined me to leave - for a cheaper deal. She apologised and said she'd pass on my comments, but I can't see them reaching anyone in authority or having any effect if they do.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I just switched my home phone from BT to Post Office Home Phone, and so far it's been fine - customer service have been responsive, friendly, and helpful.
    Surprising, isn't it, how many people stick with BT thinking it's going to give them decent customer service when they need it?

In reality, BT's customer service is about as bad as it gets, and even the much maligned TalkTalk got a better rating in MSE's recent poll!

"BT was rated 49% 'good' on home phones, 44% 'good' on broadband.
    TalkTalk was 57% 'good' on home phones, 45% 'good' on broadband."
  • Our contract with BT is currently £15.99 line rental, £18.00 phone calls and broadband and £7 add on anytime calls (all per month)
    can I get it cheaper (particularly the phone calls) from anyone else? We're retired so the ability to phone in the day is essential. Present contract expires 15 July.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Our contract with BT is currently £15.99 line rental, £18.00 phone calls and broadband and £7 add on anytime calls (all per month)
    can I get it cheaper (particularly the phone calls) from anyone else? We're retired so the ability to phone in the day is essential. Present contract expires 15 July.

I'd seriously consider TalkTalk if I were you. Go through Quidco or Topcashback to pick up quite a decent cashback payment, too.

Don't believe all the negative stuff you might read about them - from personal experience they're hugely better to deal with now than BT have ever been. They've had problems in the past, but the situation now is far, far better and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Check out their website for the best deal to suit your particular circumstances, and if you can't find what you want talk to them. they're usually more than happy to cut a deal.
  • webnisewebnise Forumite
    76 Posts
    What is included in that £18.00 phone calls that you are currently paying with BT?

I am using a provider that gives anytime calls for £4.50 a month (when used with DD otherwise £1.85 additional) to fixed lines and cheaper calls to mobiles than BT.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    £7/month for anytime calls might be over the top too. If you make less than 140 calls per month, using 18185 (5p/call, regardless of time of day or duration and still possible on a BT line), would save money.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • thelofttheloft Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Our contract with BT is currently £15.99 line rental, £18.00 phone calls and broadband and £7 add on anytime calls (all per month)
    If you have SKY Tv you can get a good deal from them if you haggle. If not, remember that line rental is always cheaper if you pay a year up front. I would try Plus Net, they get good reviews.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • jiras410jiras410 Forumite
    50 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I live in a 3 bed houseshare and have the landline (bt around £21 pm) and broadband (sky changed over from o2 around £9 pm) bills in my name and was just looking at better deals. The ee deal with the amazon voucher is tempting, whats ee like for customer service and setting it all up. Also, how much hassle is it changing from 2 providers to one? Does the ee deal also go through with cashback, has anyone tried that?
    Can anyone recommend other great deals for phone/broadband combined? I'll keep browsing deals but the ee one sounds good, maybe too good?
    Thanks!
  • steve_2012steve_2012 Forumite
    182 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    my dad (80) needs to change from talktalk as his tariff is ending so they say.
    currently he pays £7.20 per month and paid upfront £114 line for last year.
    they now want £8.45pm (inc free broadband, he doesn't use or want broadband) plus £15.95pm or £176 upfront for line rental.
    so his totals are as follows:
    £200.40 last year
    £292.80 or if upfront line rental is paid £277.40 this year coming.
    ive looked at the post office and it would be £120 upfront for line rental and £69.00 for anytime.
    total £189.00.
    bearing mind he is 80 with no computer does this seem a reasonable deal from a reputable company.
    he wont use someone he has never heard of and wont go to bt and use prefix numbers so it seems his best bet for just calls.
    can anyone advise on anything else hassle free for him.
    thanks.