Nijmegan Marches

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
2 replies 825 views
mountainofdebtmountainofdebt Forumite
7.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Am really interested in doing this next year.

what are the chances of being able to register as it seems its weighted in favour of those who've completed it before
2014 Target;
To overpay CC by £1,000.
Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
£15.88 saved to date

Replies

• edited 27 June 2014 at 10:46PM
    RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2014 at 10:46PM
    It's a long time since I did it, wearing a red beret, in the 70's.

I don't know how you can register as a civilian, in fact I didn't know that was possible; obviously things have moved on. I don't mean to object to civilians doing it, in fact I welcome that, the courage those men displayed in that battle should be celebrated by more people, that's why we did it.

If you can make it, you will find that the Dutch people are very warm and hospitable, they have never forgotten what the British and American Airborne forces tried to do, and what sacrifices were made. My mates and I had a great time every time we did it. Just make sure that your body and your footwear are up to it, if you do the whole march. Try to speak to an old soldier if you can about marches. My own tip is to wear 2 pairs of socks: the inner pair to be thin, outer pair thicker. Good foot powder (Talc is OK) on your feet and on the inner pair, this helps to avoid blisters. Don't wear new boots that are not fully broken-in and whatever you do, don't wear trainers! Take a couple of changes of socks, try to keep your feet dry. These are all lessons learned in 12 years of HMF, I still have perfect arches to my feet, which are still in good nick! (Wish the rest was!)

Good luck and I admire your wish to take part, hope you don't regret it!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • mountainofdebtmountainofdebt Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info

I've heard that the four days are a lovely atmosphere, almost party like (if you can have a party walking all that distance every day for 4 days!) and I really want to do it.....hubby's up for it as well so you never know!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...