Ankle Injury

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
9 replies 1.5K views
Andy_89Andy_89 Forumite
245 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Hi!

I am not a fitness fanatic but I love to exercise, especially football.

I have a recurring ankle injury, whereby I keep spraining the !!!!!!! I have now taken it to the hospital and I have to go to the physio and for an MRI. I have to stay off it until I have had it checked out properly.

I am after help on how to reduce my diet but still feel satisfied, and how not to become stir crazy with zero excercise.

Andy

Replies

• Can you swim with it? :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Starmer4PM #Bremainer
  • Andy_89Andy_89 Forumite
    245 Posts
    Can you swim with it? :)

HBS x

Lifesaver!

I can flop about in the water.
  • Have a good flail in the water then ;) it's always fun!

Hope it recovers quickly though. Injuries suck :(

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Starmer4PM #Bremainer
    245 Posts
    Have a good flail in the water then ;) it's always fun!

Hope it recovers quickly though. Injuries suck :(

HBS x

It's an sprain that just keeps on occuring, I twist/go over on it far too easily. The last time it happened was the fourth time its has happened now so I needed to get it looked at.

Got an MRI coming up, I am stopping all contact exercise until then.

I love football more than any other exercise so this will be hard.
  • northerntwo1northerntwo1 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Have you an exercise bike? I'm in a cast have been for some time and missed cardio. I bum up and down stairs with my 1 leg increasing speed and use the exercise bike with my pot on a chair also try crutches as they help cardio and can give your ankle a good rest, they say a 1 mile walk on crutches uses as much energy as a 5 mile run.
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy_89 wrote: »
    Hi!

I am not a fitness fanatic but I love to exercise, especially football.

I have a recurring ankle injury, whereby I keep spraining the !!!!!!! I have now taken it to the hospital and I have to go to the physio and for an MRI. I have to stay off it until I have had it checked out properly.

I am after help on how to reduce my diet but still feel satisfied, and how not to become stir crazy with zero excercise.

Andy

Hi Andy

Been there, done that, bought the t shirt.

The only permanent fix happened when my GP sent me for physiotherapy. The physiotherapist diagnosed poor proprioception as the reason for my recurring ankle injuries.

I play sport regularly. Basically, when I jumped up to catch the ball..........the signals weren't reaching my brain correctly to tell me where and at what angle my foot was landing. So I'd tear ligaments and sprain the ankle yet again.

The physiotherapist demonstrated this by asking me to balance on my good foot for 10 seconds, which I did with no problems.

I tried to balance on the affected foot for 10 seconds and wobbled like crazy.

He then made sure that I was next to a wall and he was alongside me. He asked me close my eyes and balance for 10 seconds on my affected. I fell like a sack of spuds. Fortunately I wasn't injured because he was there to support me.

Without my sight to tell my brain, I had no idea where my foot was.:eek:

I'm not suggesting that this is your problem, I'm just illustrating that the only way to get good medical help from a professional............is to see your GP and asked to be referred to a physiotherapist.

Following the regime of treatment and exercises I was given, I am delighted to report that I have never had even a twinge of pain or discomfort in my ankle whilst playing sport and jumping for the ball.

Best of luck.

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    245 Posts
    Nile wrote: »
    Hi Andy

Been there, done that, bought the t shirt.

The only permanent fix happened when my GP sent me for physiotherapy. The physiotherapist diagnosed poor proprioception as the reason for my recurring ankle injuries.

I play sport regularly. Basically, when I jumped up to catch the ball..........the signals weren't reaching my brain correctly to tell me where and at what angle my foot was landing. So I'd tear ligaments and sprain the ankle yet again.

The physiotherapist demonstrated this by asking me to balance on my good foot for 10 seconds, which I did with no problems.

I tried to balance on the affected foot for 10 seconds and wobbled like crazy.

He then made sure that I was next to a wall and he was alongside me. He asked me close my eyes and balance for 10 seconds on my affected. I fell like a sack of spuds. Fortunately I wasn't injured because he was there to support me.

Without my sight to tell my brain, I had no idea where my foot was.:eek:

I'm not suggesting that this is your problem, I'm just illustrating that the only way to get good medical help from a professional............is to see your GP and asked to be referred to a physiotherapist.

Following the regime of treatment and exercises I was given, I am delighted to report that I have never had even a twinge of pain or discomfort in my ankle whilst playing sport and jumping for the ball.

Best of luck.

Nile

I went to the GP and he referred me to the Trauma clinic, I am not awaiting my physio appointments.
  • polgarapolgara Forumite
    498 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have a similar problem and had lots of physiotherapy to repair the damage and work on my proprioception. There are lots of exercises which can help plus I also bought a wobble board which has helped a lot. In addition, I was referred to Podiatry due to extreme overpronation and fitted with insoles. Touch wood but all this seems to have stopped the falling over and the subsequent sprains.
  • YORKSHIRELASSYORKSHIRELASS Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    And whatever you do dont be tempted to just grit your teeth and carry on. I learned this lesson the hard way. If something hurts when you are playing sports it hurts for a reason. Get it properly sorted.

Steps down from her lecturing post ....
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides