wOw factor??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
5 replies 1.1K views
paddyrgpaddyrg Forumite
13.5K Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
In the UK Holidays forum, there are exactly 4 threads with a wow factor )none particularly wow TBH) including one created in the past 24h with a mundane topic and a factor of 83.

Do they serve any purpose and are they just easy to cheat? I saw one recently that had been created within 24h selling something and a wOw of 999 before I reported it. Clearly gamed, should we just bin it?

Replies

• Good question! I'm a relatively new MSEr and have been wondering how come some of the 'Grab It Quick' posts have more WOWS than viewers?
  • Former_MSE_JoeFormer_MSE_Joe Former MSE
    177 Posts
    100 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! I won, I won, I won!
    Good morning,

The value of the wOw is calculated using an algorithm which is made up of a combination of calculated values over a time period. If you watch throughout the day, the value of wOw for those threads will decrease. As more people wOw thank the thread, the more the value will be boosted and the process starts again.

:)

Joe
    Have any problems or issues with the Forum? Contact us at [email protected]
    MoneySavingExpert - Web Developer
  • ^ ^ ^
    Thanks for the explanation but I don't think this approach is a good one, as I think the WoWs for that particular post only should be shown (to see a Grabbit Now post with loads of WoWs suggests it is a good deal when in fact it may not be)

Not trying to be difficult (although some people say I manage to do it without even trying:rotfl:) but just think the current way of doing it is a bit misleading. :)
  • paddyrgpaddyrg Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Joe, can't say it makes a heap of sense to me as a board user. The thread in UK holidays was a question, numbers jump around in the 80's such a meaningless number it may as well be cumulative shoesizes for readers!
  • poochpooch Forumite
    828 Posts
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Hi Joe, can't say it makes a heap of sense to me as a board user. The thread in UK holidays was a question, numbers jump around in the 80's such a meaningless number it may as well be cumulative shoesizes for readers!

It's got a wow factor because other users (perhaps AE/clone account users, or otherwise friends of the OP) elected to give it a wow factor.

About as useful as thanks really - great for winding others up! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals