MSE News: Got TalkTalk home phone or broadband? Here's how to get 15% off bills

in Phones & TV
20 replies 5K views
TalkTalk customers can get 15% off their monthly bill as long as they pay it off within 24 hours of receiving it...
Read the full story:

Got TalkTalk home phone or broadband? Here's how to get 15% off monthly bills

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Bizarre!

The theoretical APR they are paying to offer that discount must be in the thousands of percent surely?!?!

My bill is only £3.50 per month, and it goes from a joint account which doesn't have a debit card, so I'm not going to bother, but still, it's bizarre!

Does it apply to line rental as well? And if so, would it be cheaper to pay line rental monthly with this discount than to pay line rental annually up front?
  • beebeerbeebeer Forumite
    3 Posts
    Would I be entitled to the 15% discount if I'm in credit?
  • edited 23 May 2014 at 8:20PM
    Steve059Steve059 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    edited 23 May 2014 at 8:20PM
    There has been much discussion on the TalkTalk Community forums (the victims' support group for TT customers?) about this scheme. It's been operational for quite some time (on checking back, my November 2013 bill e-mail was the first one to mention it), but TT haven't been advertising it until it was mentioned in the price increase warning e-mail a month ago.

The T&C's actually say that the 24 hours starts from when the bill notification e-mail is sent. For it to be from when it's received, they'd need read receipts for every e-mail. They must bill either 1/30 or 1/31 of their customers every day. This is a calculated risk. The overwhelming majority of e-mails are received within 24 hours.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Steve059Steve059 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    VT82 wrote: »
    <snip> Does it apply to line rental as well? And if so, would it be cheaper to pay line rental monthly with this discount than to pay line rental annually up front?

Yes, it's on the total bill. The Value Line Rental saving is 26.33%, so it's cheaper to pay this in advance.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • CharisCharis Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I'm well fed up with TalkTalk. I pay by Direct Debit, yet am expected to jump as soon as the bill arrives. Why can't they just take it themselves? I've been with them for years and only noticed this last month in the small print on a newsletter type email. I'd been distracted by something linked earlier in the email and missed the offer. I emailed to ask why they didn't help themselves to the money a few days earlier as the DD is already set up and was given the brush off in a badly written reply. I think the regulator should investigate why customers paying by DD are treated unfairly. All other companies seem to offer a discount for paying by DD. No loyalty bonus with TalkTalk!!!
  • egrescrimpegrescrimp Forumite
    573 Posts
    Charis wrote: »
    I'm well fed up with TalkTalk. I pay by Direct Debit, yet am expected to jump as soon as the bill arrives. Why can't they just take it themselves? I've been with them for years and only noticed this last month in the small print on a newsletter type email. I'd been distracted by something linked earlier in the email and missed the offer. I emailed to ask why they didn't help themselves to the money a few days earlier as the DD is already set up and was given the brush off in a badly written reply. I think the regulator should investigate why customers paying by DD are treated unfairly. All other companies seem to offer a discount for paying by DD. No loyalty bonus with TalkTalk!!!

How are you being treated unfairly? they don't have to offer you this 15% discount if you pay the bill within 24 hours of receiving the bill via email.

You are contracted to pay a certain amount per month, they don't have to provide you with incentives to get that service cheaper!

I for one use this option every month now, takes less than 2 minutes to complete and I shave off a few pounds on my bill. This month it made all my chargeable calls I'd racked up free! I hate 0844 numbers!
  • edited 21 May 2014 at 9:03AM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 21 May 2014 at 9:03AM
    I pay £18.50 per month to TalkTalk business - for unlimited broadband, a phone line & all UK calls "unlimited" (including mobiles)
    How does that stack up ?
  • egrescrimpegrescrimp Forumite
    573 Posts
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I pay £18.50 per month to TalkTalk business - for unlimited broadband, a phone line & all UK calls "unlimited" (including mobiles)
    How does that stack up ?

You are supposed to get a better level of service and a different support SLA, I assume the support number you call routes you to a UK call centre?
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    How does that stack up ?
    egrescrimp wrote: »
    You are supposed to get a better level of service and a different support SLA, I assume the support number you call routes you to a UK call cen
    tre?

I have never phoned
    Emails get an instant response ......
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Talktalk are getting a bit silly.
    I pay via DD, and I don't see how TT can gain if they offer me 15% off for paying 6 days before they take my DD.

They also recently sent me letters about how my package (£7.50/month for broadband and phone, half price for 9 months) is now going up to £8.50 but includes TV. They didn't mention, of course, that I can pay £3.50/month for just internet, which is all I use...

That type of biased marketing is to be expected, but this 15% malarky is a strange feature.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES