Forum Home» Mortgages & Endowments

fixed mortgages should banks gain from their sub-prime fiasco - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search

fixed mortgages should banks gain from their sub-prime fiasco

edited 27 March 2014 at 12:01PM in Mortgages & Endowments
153 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• GMS wrote: »
    If you have had a complaint upheld on the basis of getting what you asked for but not being offered a crystal ball by the lender then there will be no mortgages offered in future.

Lenders could not risk the claims when the borrower changes their minds and is backed by the adjudicator.

Been through this before and yet, it appears I am correct.
  • Let_Us_See wrote: »
    I have nothing against banks getting their comeuppance, but this seems too good to be true in outcome and time frame. I imagine this would be a groundbreaking decision for many banks and yet so little publicity?

Time frame 16 weeks???
    Early days as far as 'publicity' goes.
  • kingstreet wrote: »
    I'm astounded.

On what grounds was your complaint upheld?

Read the posts, (sorry my posts).
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    73K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There's no clarity in your recent posts as to what has been found in your favour. One suspects that's because you failed on some of your assertions.
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered if you could summarise the report of the FoS so we could try to understand the reasoning behind the decision. We'd then have better knowledge to inform those who come after you.

Were there any specific things which happened in your case which caused the uphold which may, or may not, apply to others?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Let_Us_SeeLet_Us_See Forumite
    1.3K posts
    What I am complaining about is I have estimated that we have paid between £4000 and £4500 more than what we would have paid had we not taken the 10 year fix before we were made aware of the disastrous policies the banks were involved in.

In other words the FoS have provided compensation for something you didn't do? I think it would be beneficial to many if you could copy and paste the relevant sections of the FoS findings.
  • A very brief summary of letter received 13th May by post.

Having carefully considered all the information that Woolwich and I provided they have broken the complaint down into two categories........

Firstly.
    'There was nothing to make me think the bank could predict the the potential impact on interest rates created by the imminent banking crisis.'

However.
    'Whilst interest rates are unpredictable and any global event might potentially have an effect, the effect on interest rates came about as a result of the banking sector.'

Therefore.
    'I conclude you would have been able to achieve a better rate of interest had you not taken out the fixed rate term before the crisis occurred.'

Finally.
    'I have instructed the Woolwich B.S to compose a compensatory package for losses arisen.'
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    There's no clarity in your recent posts as to what has been found in your favour. One suspects that's because you failed on some of your assertions.

Get this dude, what does he mean failed in some of your assertions. You won the complaint and therefore your OP was correctamondo.

Even though you have been proven correct they still argue against you.

'Your the one who knocks'
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very brief summary of letter received 13th May by post.

Having carefully considered all the information that Woolwich and I provided they have broken the complaint down into two categories........

Firstly.
    'There was nothing to make me think the bank could predict the the potential impact on interest rates created by the imminent banking crisis.'

However.
    'Whilst interest rates are unpredictable and any global event might potentially have an effect, the effect on interest rates came about as a result of the banking sector.'

Therefore.
    'I conclude you would have been able to achieve a better rate of interest had you not taken out the fixed rate term before the crisis occurred.'

Finally.
    'I have instructed the Woolwich B.S to compose a compensatory package for losses arisen.'
    Interesting. Please let us know the lender's response.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally.
    What losses do they think have arisen?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support