March 2014 Grocery Challenge - Page 98

New Post Advanced Search

March 2014 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 February 2014 at 3:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 93.4K views

Replies

• bmmabmma Forumite
    607 posts
    nsd today = 12 - online shop delivered,more than half of the items were out of stock-although available when ordered-money owed back in a holding account-should be back in account within 7 days-pity they weren't as quick paying back as they are taking it ! rant over-9 more days to april challenge-may go weekly for april try and get the spending really down
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SazzleDazzle1 - love the name by the way! - I agree with cw18 and would count the spend as a March spend as that is the month you are actually spending in, even though most of the month is actually April when it will be eaten. If your're anything like most people you'll be buying stuff that will last longer than just the week anyway so difficult to see how else to split spends.

Denise
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Welcome Sazzledazzle - hope the GC helps you to spend less.

A!di this morning and spent £25.47 Noticed milk had come down from £1.48 to £1.42 for the 6 pint one.
    I usually but the sausages at 6 for £1.99 but today picked up the butchers choice ones 8 for £1.55 so will see if they ok.
    I brought some lamb mince (2 packs) to make lamb kofta with tonight but have only used one so had to really squash it into the freezer to get it in and the door shut. The other pack has had the spices and onions added to it and is now chilling in the fridge for tonight. Grandson is coming to stay overnight after school. Have some strawberries and a few marshmallows which he will love.

I will need a few things tomorrow but shouldn't be much.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • marrismarris Forumite
    644 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    just sitting at £50,50 so not very bad at all.freezer is going down slightly
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • Frizzle_2Frizzle_2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Hi all,
    I know it is incredibly late to join this month but I have been reading for a while and only just got organised enough to get my logins. I have pre christmas been spending in excess of £650 a month, and throwing away so much food. January I decided to cut back and monoitor what and where I spending and then set a budget of £400 a month to follow from March. There are 4 of us, children 7 and 2. I hope to cut the budget further by following some of the great tips on here but slowly so no one really notices, so far this month I have spent £291 so I am on track.

I am not sure how to manage my budget dates though, we get paid weekly and I shop on the weekend. Should Sat 29th shop be included in March or April? I am hoping it is a small one as I have slowly been building up stock so this week I should get by on a few fresh items but we shall see. I have recently swapped from Wa1trose to A1di and that has cut my spending hugely.

Any tips/advice most gratefully received and I look forward to getting to know everone over the coming months :)

I shop at weekend too and had the same dilemma about the end of the month. My plan was to include it in this month but things are getting tight. So. Have decided if I go over my budget I will take it off next months budget. This way half will probably be in this month and half in April!
    HtH!!
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/£200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- £149.27 N- £210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- £213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-£250, M- £250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!
  • Frizzle_2Frizzle_2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I have 1kg of mince in the sc with three onions, 4 carrots, 2 tins of toms, a tin f value baked beans, some frozen peas, a handful of red lentils and a handful of porridge oats.
    I have lots of potatoes so just peeled loads to make a shep pie topping! Had all the food in.
    The original recipe (500g mince) was to serve 4. We are two adults and two wee ones. So I am hoping with the padding put this will make three meals! The mince was 3.25 so nt a bad price for three meals!

Have also just made a batch of biscuits! The recipe made about 50 so I am going to freeze a handful so I will know for next time. We have all just had 1 or 2 each. Except for hubby who has had 5!, now I just need to hide them! When I told him off, I said 'I've spent ages on those... Don't eat them!' His reply ' why did you make them if we aren't allowed to eat them!' MEN!
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/£200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- £149.27 N- £210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- £213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-£250, M- £250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    FRIZZLE wrote: »
    I have 1kg of mince in the sc with three onions, 4 carrots, 2 tins of toms, a tin f value baked beans, some frozen peas, a handful of red lentils and a handful of porridge oats.
    My last mince meal consisted of
    500g (very) lean mince
    2 medium onions
    freshly ground black pepper
    heaped teaspoon Ox0 granules
    40g porridge oats
    50g red lentils
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    2 tins baked beans
    I also had to add some water early on to stop the mix sticking to the base of the pan due to the oats and lentils sucking up what was available. (the baked beans don't get added until close to the end, but by then it was getting close to needing more liquid anyway!)

The resultant pan of 'mince' was then split into 5 good sized adult potions (2 used that evening and 3 in the freezer for later), and each one gets served with 80-100g dried pasta.

When my OH uses mince he cooks 500g at a time which gives him 2 servings. When he's here he gets a mix like the above which appears to be plenty for him, but whilst he's aware I make the mince go a lot further by padding it out (and is also aware he's to say nothing around my son who loves his red meat and "doesn't know if he likes lentils") he doesn't seem to be prepared to 'mess around' padding out at home!! I keep trying to convince him it's a lot better for him padded out (we both have high cholesterol, so the less meat and the more protein from other sources the better), but I may as well hold my breath :(
    Cheryl
  • 1.70 added for a tub of anchor butter as my contribution to toasties made at work. I use spread at home but girl at work cant have spread so thst was ok. Anyway budget creeping up. Hoping to get by on bananas and milk buys next week. Hope so. X
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Small spend in Asda on 8 pints milk, malt wheats, jordans bars for DD and ys stuff pork joint. Total of £8.68.

Just writing out a list for the weekend. Ideally would like to get all food for the week (which includes DHs birthday tea!). I have a £4 odd price match coupon plus £36.83 left in the budget. Will need to be very savvy when I go tomorrow ;)

Meal plan for next week:
    Saturday - chicken fajitas (need peppers and cheese)
    Sunday - roast pork, Yorkshires, roasties and veg (need veg)
    Monday - bacon and cheese puffs, veg (need veg)
    Tuesday - pasta bake
    Wednesday - chicken curry, rice and naan
    Thursday - DH birthday - his signature pasta dish (need veg, crème fraiche and parma ham)
    Friday - lo gammon, cauli cheese, veg (need cauli/veg)

Also need packed lunch bits, fruit and orange juice.

Have a good evening all
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NSD.
    For dinner we had HM Fish Pie + cauliflower/carrots.

[IMG][/img]Fridaysdinner_zps84ea1dde.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15