Quick questions on Consumer Rights

edited 20 April 2011 at 9:49AM in Consumer Rights
1.3K replies 171.4K views

Replies

• ValliValli Forumite
    22.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were you I would be requesting my deposit back sharpish.
    I would probably be asking for interest, too, actually.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Hi, bought bracelet online from jewellry store which was in the sale. Took bracelet back to store for refund as don't like/not as expected. The store said you don't get refunds on sale items. I thought under the Distant Selling Regulations you could plus I returned it within 7 working days of receiving item.

Is anyone able to confirm whether this is true. The clause on their website states "We are sorry but we cannot offer exchanges or refunds if your item has sold whilst on sale "
    thanks
  • ValliValli Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cherrydiva wrote: »
    Hi, bought bracelet online from jewellry store which was in the sale. Took bracelet back to store for refund as don't like/not as expected. The store said you don't get refunds on sale items. I thought under the Distant Selling Regulations you could plus I returned it within 7 working days of receiving item.

Is anyone able to confirm whether this is true. The clause on their website states "We are sorry but we cannot offer exchanges or refunds if your item has sold whilst on sale "
    thanks

Did you actually reject it under the criteria specified by the DSR which should have been advised to you by the retailer?
    I believe you actually have to state that you are rejecting the item under the DSR by notifying them of your intention to reject within 7 days.

This is not *quite* the same as turning up at the store for a refund.

LINK
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli wrote: »
    Did you actually reject it under the criteria specified by the DSR which should have been advised to you by the retailer?
    I believe you actually have to state that you are rejecting the item under the DSR by notifying them of your intention to reject within 7 days.

This is not *quite* the same as turning up at the store for a refund.

LINK

Thanks for the reply, read the link; so I have to email them stating I wish to confirm my cancellation under the Distant Selling Regulations and could ask in the email about returning item to the shop?
  • ValliValli Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely inform them you wish to cancel ASAP.

You should have been advised by what method you must return any items. (This would be on the invoice they sent, perhaps?)

They *may* insist you return by post but worth asking.

Just for clarity the regulations are Distance Selling Regulations.

Thank you Honey Bear
  • GrimbalGrimbal Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I've purchased a couple of items online that have arrived damaged. I would like to return them for a replacement - who is obliged to pay for return postage please ?
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • edited 23 February 2014 at 7:59PM
    tomwakefieldtomwakefield Forumite
    8K posts
    edited 23 February 2014 at 7:59PM
    Grimbal wrote: »
    Hi, I've purchased a couple of items online that have arrived damaged. I would like to return them for a replacement - who is obliged to pay for return postage please ?

If you've bought something on line and it arrives faulty, it is the stores responsibility to correct that by ensuring it's replaced without you incurring any further costs.

So they can't charge you to recover the faulty/damaged item, and they can't charge another lot of postage to send the replacement out.

Source: Sales of Goods Act
    If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
    (a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
    (b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
    Competition wins: Where's Wally Goody Bag, Club badge branded football, Nivea for Men Goody Bag
  • Rexxy33Rexxy33 Forumite
    1 posts
    Posting here for a friend. He bought a TV after doing a lot of researching into which kind of TV he wanted. He put a lot of time into this. Now, after only about 16 months, the TV has malfunctioned. Obviously the 12 months warranty has expired and the retailer don't want to know. (They quoted the 12 month warranty speech). He was made redundant over a year ago and really doesn't have the cash to have it replaced or repaired. He lives alone and only has the TV for entertainment. Does he have any comeback at all? Surely modern TV's are expected to have a lifespan of just over a year. Thanks in advance.
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rexxy33 wrote: »
    Posting here for a friend. He bought a TV after doing a lot of researching into which kind of TV he wanted. He put a lot of time into this. Now, after only about 16 months, the TV has malfunctioned. Obviously the 12 months warranty has expired and the retailer don't want to know. (They quoted the 12 month warranty speech). He was made redundant over a year ago and really doesn't have the cash to have it replaced or repaired. He lives alone and only has the TV for entertainment. Does he have any comeback at all? Surely modern TV's are expected to have a lifespan of just over a year. Thanks in advance.

Have a read of MSE's Consumer Rights guide.

In there you will find that it is possible to seek a remedy for up to six years after the sale.
  • Hello

In June 2013 I bought a bathroom sink (vanity unit), this was delivered in July. In February we noticed a crack in the sink and contacted the retailer who then sent the details back to the manufacturer.

We have received a reply saying that, as the manufacturer cannot confirm whether the sink was damaged by us (which it wasn't) or was a manufacturing problem, then they will replace the sink unit. However we will have to pay for the old sink to be removed and a new one put back in. As this is a vanity unit this is a bigger job.

Am I in my rights to demand they pay for someone to fit the replacement sink?

Regards