March 2014 Grocery Challenge - Page 32

New Post Advanced Search

March 2014 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 February 2014 at 3:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 93.3K views

Replies

• FrugalsodFrugalsod Forumite
    3K posts
    NSD for me, though thinking about a veg box for Friday.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Make-it-3Make-it-3 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Not a good start to the month, popped out to buy yoghurt and ended up spending £12.52 on other stuff and then forgot completely what I went out for.

Will have to make a return visit tomorrow, LO is a yoghurt junkie.

So £167.48/£180 remaining.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • FaeteFaete Forumite
    171 posts
    First shop of the month - I didn't think I needed much but ended up spending £22.68 in Aldi and £49.56 in Asda. I couldn't resist stocking up on things on offer - e.g. Jordan's Organic Oats at £1 a box and Heinz Reduced Salt & Sugar Baked Beans two four packs for £3. I've now run out of storage space in the kitchen. :rotfl:

Fae xx
    “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde :p
    January Grocery Challenge - £189.44/£300.00 :D
    Save
    Save
  • p-pincherp-pincher Forumite
    727 posts
    Hi everyone

A few spends this weekend
    B and M £8.00
    £ Shop 9.00
    Iceland £8.50
    Aldi £60.00 after the £5.00 voucher was deducted.

Plenty in the fridge/freezer/cupboards. Just spent the afternoon making some spag bol and chilli con carne portions for the freezer. Also managed to squeeze the base for a cottage pie as well. £85.50 spent so far out of my budget of £250. Have been having massive spends since christmas due to illness and hospitals but hopefully i'll rein in back in.

Its been a long time since I went to Aldi. Im sure the last time I went was when I did the Christmas big shop but to to various circumstances I've not been able to get there so yesterday I was amazed all over again at all the price differences. My shop came to £60 but I ran it through the tesco website and picked the things I would have picked as if I had have gone there (so it includes offers and value products) and it worked at approx £92.00!!!!
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • deejaypdeejayp Forumite
    20 posts
    Hi All,

A few more spends today.
    Went to Home Bargains for some toiletries and cleaning products - spent £9.20 then to the farm shop for some fruit & veg and spent £11.83

Hoping this is me done for a while.

Happy Sunday afternoon everyone xx
    March Grocery Challenge - £73.57 / £250.00
  • CrowdpleaserCrowdpleaser Forumite
    1.3K posts
    FRIZZLE wrote: »
    Hubby took ds1 geocaching yesterday afternoon so while ds2 was having his afternoon nap I decided to crack on in the kitchen! I made three pizza bases (using half a bag of pizza base mix from aldi (so 50p), then when they got back ds1 helped me to top them. Pasta sauce (as I had ran out of passata), ham, peppers, onion, sliced tom (all needed using up!) and cheese. We put two in the freezer for

*waves* hi fellow geocacher!

Nsd here. Freezer a bit empty as food shop is not til 2m. Dd2 at a partt. Might see if troops mind something on toast. ..
  • FrugalsodFrugalsod Forumite
    3K posts
    Decided to put off the veg box for another seven days till the 14th so will use up what ever is in the cupboards till then. I have plenty in stock so will cope.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD today - have any of you ever made Rice Krispie chicken? I made it just now and it was lovely!! You just crush up some Rice Krispies and mix them with salt, pepper and any other seasoning you want - I used celery salt and a little bit of garlic salt. Then you just take chicken fillets and slice them into four lengthways ( or use mini fillets). You spread the chicken with mayonnaise - this is Really important - only use regular mayonnaise - light or extra light will make it soggy. You then press the mayonnaise chicken into the crushed Rice Krispies and bake in oven at 200 for about 20 minutes. It goes really crispy and tastes great!!

I am still tinkering with the meal plan!

Frizzle - how do you make the bagels?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • kayesterkayester Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    haha i did geocashing a few times a few years back!! (sorry off topic) chicken in oven
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • Frizzle_2Frizzle_2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ingredients

7g sachet dried yeast
    4 tbsp sugar
    2 tsp salt
    450g bread flour
    poppy, fennel and/or sesame seeds to sprinkle on top (optional)

Tip yeast and 1 tbsp sugar into a large bowl, pour over 100ml warm water. Leave for 10 mins until mixture becomes frothy.
    Pour 200ml warm water into the bowl, stir in the salt and half the flour. Keep adding remaining flour (you may not have to use it all) and mixing with your hands until you have a soft, but not sticky dough. Then knead for 10 mins until the dough feels smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball and put in a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover loosely with cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1hr.
    Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 10 pieces, each about 85g. Shape each piece into a flattish ball, then take a wooden spoon and use the handle to make a hole in the middle of each ball. Slip the spoon into the hole, then twirl the bagel around the spoon to make a hole about 3cm wide. Cover the bagel loosely with cling film while you shape the remaining dough.
    Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and tip in the remaining sugar. Slip the bagels into the boiling water - no more than four at a time. Cook for 1-2 mins, turning over in the water until the bagels have puffed slightly and a skin has formed. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain away any excess water. Sprinkle over your choice of topping and place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Bake in the oven for 25 mins until browned and crisp - the bases should sound hollow when tapped. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then serve with your favourite filling.
    Sorry a long recipe!
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/£200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- £149.27 N- £210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- £213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-£250, M- £250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!