Switched energy firm in the past six years? You may be owed a share of £200m

in Energy
15 replies 2.2K views
"Ofgem has found the big six suppliers guilty of failing to return money to millions of former customers..."
Read the full story:

Switched energy firm in the past six years? You may be owed a share of £200m

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't any moneysaving expert not have already requested a refund of any credit balance on their closing statement? :huh:
  • BeckyyBeckyy Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought it's common sense for most. Apparently not?

It did take me a long time to get my refund through from BG when I left them, glad I wasn't in credit by too much.
  • t0rt0iset0rt0ise Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strange behaviour.. to change suppliers and not ask for any credit back. I suppose most people don't know how much they are in debt or credit and just leave it up to the company. Daft people.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Whilst I accept that energy bills, particularly the gas one, may be difficult to calculate, and so many people will leave this to the supplier to calculate, the supplier should provide a final statement.

I guess the issue is that some people do not know the difference between a credit and debit balance. They see a balance of say £100 and think they owe the supplier this amount, and rather than contact the supplier and try to pay it, they think if they keep quiet they'll get away with it. However, that £100 balance may be a figure the supplier owes the customer ...
  • edited 2 March 2014 at 9:55AM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 March 2014 at 9:55AM
    When you see how much mess some people can get into with their energy bills by not checking them or sorting them out when they are so obviously wrong it doesn't really surprise me that the suppliers can easily avoid refunding credits or sending final bills.

However, that said, it can be a bit of a struggle to get the supplier to pay up even when you know they owe you money. A lot of people might not bother for a relatively low amount. It took me 10 weeks, 5 snotty e-mails and the threat of the ombudsman to get my £138 back from Scottish Power earlier this year. I had a similar fight with Eon about 18 months ago to get about £60 back.
    I probably wouldn't fight so hard if it was only £10-£20.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Most of the money owed is to people who ve just departed without doing the correct thing, phoning in an end reading and a forwarding address. The total owed to the public is dwarfed by 5 times the amount of money owed to the suppliers by the usual thieves who have done a "runner ". Paid for by us of course in higher bills.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ofgem says it is continuing to look at whether suppliers' current policies and practices comply with its rules, including those which tell firms to treat customers fairly.
    Proof, if any were needed, that Ofgem really does not understand its own regulations. No wonder it refuses to enforce them - it doesn't know how.

Do we really need the expense of a wholly incompetent "regulator"?

Consumers will be little worse off by making the industry representatives, Energy UK, the regulator. At least we will be certain of whose side they will be on.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • FellwalkerFellwalker Forumite
    86 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Aquamania wrote: »
    Why wouldn't any moneysaving expert not have already requested a refund of any credit balance on their closing statement? :huh:
    Indeed, why wouldn't anyone who is bright enough to switch know that they needed to settle one way or another their outstanding balance? :think: My repayments have come through automatically each time I switched, and whilst I have had a diary note in, I have not had to apply for the cash.:T
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fellwalker wrote: »
    My repayments have come through automatically each time I switched, and whilst I have had a diary note in, I have not had to apply for the cash.
    If everybody else had the same experience there wouldn't be £200M remaining unpaid.

I'm currently waiting for a refund following a switch and I have had to apply for it. Why should I have to? The supplier knows it owes me the money so why do I have to beg them to get it back. They wouldn't take so much time to get back any money if I owed some to them.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Dave_saveDave_save Forumite
    360 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It's time we had an OFGEM representative on these boards, so they could be informed how utterly useless and irrelevant their organisation has become.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides