Forum Home» Techie Stuff

How often do you back up? - Page 69

New Post Advanced Search

How often do you back up?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
690 replies 119.1K views
1636465666769»

Replies

• I use Google Drive, crashplan, and a NAS. However I don't think crash plan is working properly. It is far too easy to be lazy with backups and regret it later.
    Best fix it now really!
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I back up more often than once in a Preston Guild, but it's a bit random. A few months ago I thought I'd become more methodical and bought an external hard drive onto which I could do automatic back-up, copy a disk image or whatever.

After two computer crashes of my 4.5 year old laptop, lrngthy restores in safe mode and reverting to previous back-ups, I've given up that idea and reverted to my random back-ups onto a pen drive. I've got no mission critical software or data so for me this is adequate. I'll probably get a new PC/laptop this year on the precautionary principle (and then deep-clean the old one), but at the moment all seems well..

I'll definitely start off with the new one with auto, external back-ups. I promise... honest..
  • At work I back up fairly often, couple of times a week, at home not that often.
  • Just spoke to my brother, whose hard disk failed as he was writing an email - the screen just went blank with no notice. A techy friend ran the manufacturer test suite and the verdict was that the heads wouldn't record any more - luckily he was able to retrieve most of the important stuff off my brother's disk, but he did lose a few things.

I'm now trying to persuade him to invest in a cloud backup service...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • Just started to, frightening prospect of losing so many family photos
  • womble12345womble12345 Forumite
    490 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I use dropbox with the free storage, I also use crashplan to backup my PC and laptop to my NAS but this backup is on-site. I need more backup storage space offsite but dont fancy signing up to a monthly contract for $10 a month for 100GB with Dropbox.

What I would like to do is run my own cheap cloud storage, is it possible I can buy a NAS and plug it into the router at a friends house and then use that NAS as my own private dropbox somehow? This would be cheap as it would just cost me a one-off fee of whatever the NAS cost. In exchange I would allow my friend to store a NAS of theirs at my house.

Is this possible?
  • I use dropbox with the free storage, I also use crashplan to backup my PC and laptop to my NAS but this backup is on-site. I need more backup storage space offsite but dont fancy signing up to a monthly contract for $10 a month for 100GB with Dropbox.

What I would like to do is run my own cheap cloud storage, is it possible I can buy a NAS and plug it into the router at a friends house and then use that NAS as my own private dropbox somehow? This would be cheap as it would just cost me a one-off fee of whatever the NAS cost. In exchange I would allow my friend to store a NAS of theirs at my house.

Is this possible?
    Remote backup using Crashplan
    Remote backup using Cucku

Isn't Google wonderful?
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • womble12345womble12345 Forumite
    490 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭

Google is wonderful but both those solutions are installed on friends PCs and require my friend to have their PC on at the same time as mine. My mate works nights so his PC is off when mine is on. I want something I can buy and plug into his router. I looked into The WD mycloud which looks to do what I need....
  • Not that often but I use Dropbox for a lot of stuff which keeps my files pretty secure
  • The last time I've backed up my files I can not even remember... it's sad in some way
    Work hard, play hard.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support