Best home cardio equipment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
12 replies 1.7K views
ali-tali-t Forumite
3.8K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Hi, my partners rowing machine has given up the ghost so I am looking at replacing it with something I would use (I never got the hang of his rowing machine as there was something up with the foot straps and my feet kept falling out).

I am inherently lazy and want minimum effort with maximum results so am looking for suggestions. Space isn't an issue but I definitely don't want a treadmill. Is there much difference between the outcomes from using a rowing machine, or exercise bike or eliptical trainer? I has a look in the Argos catalogue as a starter and they have dual machines for cross trainers and exercise bikes - are they any good or just a gimmick?

I have a power plate for toning and xbox kinect for dance games for a bit of cardio but like I said I'm lazy so would like to do something sitting down :o. Any suggestions?
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!

Replies

• ~Chameleon~~Chameleon~ Forumite
    12K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is it you're trying to achieve? This will greatly influence the type of equipment you need. Btw, the rowing machine is the best overall cardio machine you could use as it gives a full body workout.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I suggested burpees yesterday.
    my post is gone,
    Seems MSE doesnt like burpees
  • ~Chameleon~~Chameleon~ Forumite
    12K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    Interesting. I suggested burpees yesterday.
    my post is gone,
    Seems MSE doesnt like burpees

NOBODY likes burpees :p
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
    38.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly ;)
  • paulineb_2paulineb_2
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I like them more than I did a year ago

I also like making my participants do them.
  • Just_a_Girl_2Just_a_Girl_2 Forumite
    281 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I think the best thing for you is a change in attitude. You admit you are lazy and want maximum results with minimum effort and to be honest, you're setting yourself up for failure straight away.

I've never been a fan of cardio equipment for the home as there are just too many distractions stopping you from actually using it. "I'll do if after this tv show" or "once I've eaten dinner" - there will always be something to do instead.

I find outdoor cardio far more enjoyable - cycling, walking, rollerblading, etc. If you must do something at home then I definitely second the recommendation of burpees - what an awesome exercise :D
  • paulineb_2paulineb_2
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A spin bike might be an idea. Id be very surprised if a power plate did much toning of anything very much.
  • ali-tali-t Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Burpees are a no go as I have no motivation to do them but a bike or rowing machine would be doable as I could use the machine in front of the tv. Ideally I want to lose weight rather than toning up a particular area.

Outdoors stuff is only really an option at the weekend as I live in a rural area with no streetlights so don't venture outside in the dark. There are no pavements so it's too dangerous to even walk the dogs at night.

Pauline, you would be surprised at the toning from a power plate. They are amazing - I have buns of steel hidden under a layer of fat lol.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edited 9 February 2014 at 10:16AM
    ~Chameleon~~Chameleon~ Forumite
    12K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 February 2014 at 10:16AM
    ali-t wrote: »
    Burpees are a no go as I have no motivation to do them but a bike or rowing machine would be doable as I could use the machine in front of the tv. Ideally I want to lose weight rather than toning up a particular area.

But if you increase your muscle mass (i.e. start using weights rather than cardio machines) then you will boost your metabolism and burn off the fat even quicker :D

There really is no lazy way to lose [STRIKE]weight[/STRIKE] fat. It's all about effort and determination and being prepared to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Diets don't work. Period.

ETA: Oh, and no amount of exercise will ever compensate for a crap diet. Being healthy is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
    38.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ali-t wrote: »

Outdoors stuff is only really an option at the weekend as I live in a rural area with no streetlights so don't venture outside in the dark. There are no pavements so it's too dangerous to even walk the dogs at night.

Pauline, you would be surprised at the toning from a power plate. They are amazing - I have buns of steel hidden under a layer of fat lol.

No motivation? If you want to lose weight then most of that is down to the kitchen.
    I saw someone at the gym today. Young fat lad sitting turning his legs on a bike machine. sitting on his phone. I'm sure he believed he was putting in a 'session'
    You want to burn calories. I would rather do a 10 minute session of high intensity beasting than trundle on a machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Autumn Budget 2021:

Cuts to alcohol & air passenger duties

MSE News

Free Wills Month

For those aged 55+

MSE Guides