No more Yellow Pages/Phone Books please! Blog discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
36 replies 8.6K views

Replies

• To those who want to stop these directories altogether....

This is a means of income for thousands of people. To the distribution companies, and all of the permanent and temporary staff they use, this is their income. The companies who advertise in these books have an advertising budget which would be used elsewhere anyway if these books didnt exist.
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • I have recently received a new Yellow pages and like other I never open it and never use it, also in Glasgow it cannot be put in the recycle bins as the ink they use is too dark (so they claim) so cant be recycled. Not only that I also recieve, Thomson Local, Phone Directory, Local Newspapers, Catalogues from many companies I NEVER order from and flyers from supermarkets that I dont visit, all of which I put in the recycle bin without ever opening. We would go a long way towards recycling if the bin wasnt full of items that were unwanted. I do all my shopping online and any searching online too and I would be 100% happy to never receive any catalogues or use an option to opt into or out of receiving them.
    Officially a self proclaimed GEEK
  • Take your yellow pages to your local school who will get cash in return for it and it will also be recycled. Have never used Thomas local and so that along with the phone book both go into the recycling. Surely with limited advertising in the phone book this could be something we could opt out of.

I recently had this dicussion with friends and none of us use it preferring to use the internet instead.
  • i know it's not as urgent as dodgy financial dealing, but please, please, please lovely MSE people, do a campaign regarding opt in/opt out.

they're such a waste of paper, energy, chemical by-products, petrol, time, etc for those of use who don't use them.
    Boyfriend & I have saved £12K in two years, thanks to careful budgeting and keeping a record of what we spend. I've never paid myself this amount of money before - it feels great!
  • You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call
    0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.
  • That's an invalid number. Anyone know of a valid one to cancel the Yellow Pages and/or Phone Book? Thanks.
  • kingkano wrote: »
    I have to agree with 'lardaholics anonymous'. yell.com is very very poor. It seems as if business' have to pay extra to appear there (on top of their paper based ad). Which means when I was recently searching for fireplace installers in my area on yell I got 2 results, in the yellow pages there was roughly half a dozen pages of ads. How can I justify turfing the book in that case??

Obviously other online searches can help but sometimes nothing beats looking in the book.

Looks like you can advertise on Yell.co.uk for free, http://www.yelldirect.com/freelisting/. Of course its not a big flashy ad, and probably placed below the paid for ads. Not sure how well advertised this is, or whether businesses just don't find it useful, but there you go.

Perhaps MoneySavingExpert should advertise under the loans section and debt sections. :)
  • I have delivered these books for over 10 years now, and if one person opted out in a street I doubt it would be acted on. With a strict deadlline on delivery (usually 6 days ) and maybe 2500 books to move, I just do the streets assigned and get on with it. If someone refuses a book or the house is empty etc I dont deliver, I still get paid(per book) and just return unused books to the depot at the end of the week. This year was the first time someone has refused a book, it was the yellow pages (he was a man in mid 20`s ) but over the years I have been asked for extra copies on a number of occasions.
  • zfrlzfrl Forumite
    641 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    ladycatnap wrote: »
    You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call
    0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.

Just phoned & cancelled (the number is valid), then passed it round the office - everyone else has now cancelled too!
    :cool:
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

• they're such a waste of paper, energy, chemical by-products, petrol, time, etc for those of use who don't use them.
    As are all the leaflets we get thru the door and in the local free paper...as is the free paper itself - for those who dont use them.

At least with the directories, all that advertising is together in one book, with one delivery, one lot of transport costs etc. With leaflets, each company has their own produced, manufactured, shipped and then delivered, which uses a disproportionate amount of energy etc when compared to lumping all those ads together in one book. If your concerns truly are environmental ones, then please start your crusade to ban those first! :) Many of the leaflets I get are on shiny high colour paper too.

Oh, and the paper....is made from forests specifically planted for the purpose. If the demand wasnt there, the trees wouldnt be planted. No-one is felling the 100 yr old oak in the village to make this sort of paper! :)
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals