PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that referencing house prices may be sometimes be pertinent to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please refrain from going off-topic into broad, general debates about the housing market, the economy and politics. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

No exchange and no communication :(

So my partner and I were readyto exchange yesterday, deposit all sent to solicitor then no news. Finally get a call at 10.30 this morning saying the vendors dont want to exchange until 2nd Jan now and also change completion date from 6th to 10th Jan. Isaid fine to changing completion date but we want to exchange today. Solicitor was going back to vendor/solicitor and call me back... she never did return the call and now theyre closed until next year.

Feel the vendor has really messed us around, all the delays have come from their end. Their reason for changing completion date was because removals companies are cheaper but how can they be booking removals if we haven't even exchanged yet?

Im so stressed... I wanted to exchange today so we could give notice on our rental but now I cant do that, we have no idea when (and even IF, to an extent) we will be moving. I knoe there is NOTHING I can do about it, just really wanted to be sorted before xmas. :(

Replies

  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    A bit chicken and egg.

    You can't exchange without a completion date and you can't book removals at all without a completion date. You can provisionally book removals without exchanging contracts though, as long as you have a draft completion date...

    Presumably, it wasn't possible to exchange as the other party wanted to change the completion date and you had to agree to that first.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Yeah, I guess... I did agree to it right away, I guess they should have mentioned it a bit sooner. As it was, we only had about 3 hours to get everything done.

    Suppose the fact that theyre booking removals is a good sign, on thw bright side...
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not much you can do. Either grit your teeth, suck it up, and wait for next year or

    walk off in a huff and start house-hunting again.....
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Chances are, of a pair of solicitors, at least one stopped working last Friday, so even if the other was working today, there was no "tango" possible.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Lauren555 wrote: »
    Im so stressed... I wanted to exchange today so we could give notice on our rental but now I cant do that, we have no idea when (and even IF, to an extent) we will be moving. I knoe there is NOTHING I can do about it, just really wanted to be sorted before xmas. :(
    When is the deadline for giving notice? If the delay puts you another month into your rental, then drop a note in to your solicitor with an instruction that the completion date must be delayed until 6th Feb.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How many more people are in the chain?
  • ethankethank Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It took us 4 days to actually exchange - and there was only my sale and purchase - our system of exchanging contracts is antiquated to say the least.
  • Our vendors are bying a probate place so theyre all ready to go and as we are FTBers our chain is mercifully short.

    I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with giving notice on our rental... I think they will e able to re-rent it really quickly so we may be released early but we'll have to see. Its more of an annoying thing than anything really. Hey ho, only one more week to go.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lauren555 wrote: »
    ...

    I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with giving notice on our rental...
    Ending/Renewing an AST (what happens when the Fixed Term ends?)(What is a Periodic Tenancy?)(How can a LL remove a tenant?)(How can a tenant end a tenancy?)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Help for Welsh households on benefits

£200 to help with energy bills

MSE News

Income tax calculator

Updated with November NI changes

MSE Tool