ReaperReaper Forumite
7.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
Long hoped for and now finally confirmed:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25491629

but not until April 2015

Replies

• "Child Trust Funds can be transferred into junior Isas from April 2015, the Government has announced..."
    Read the full story:

Child Trust Funds can be moved into junior Isas from 2015

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • westy22westy22 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the undue haste in which the Government imposes many of the unwelcome changes I wonder why it will take a further 15 months to implement this welcome change?
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because they dont care about it - presumably its not seen as a vote winner?

Very welcome as far as I'm concerned though
  • edited 23 December 2013 at 2:18PM
    puk999puk999 Forumite
    552 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 23 December 2013 at 2:18PM
    I'm glad they decided to do this. I stopped investing in CTFs for my children as I was unhappy about the funds having to be removed from investment at 18, and the idea that CTF providers didn't have to remain competitive because new accounts could not be opened.

Very annoying it's going to take so long to implement.
  • lanstromlanstrom Forumite
    204 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    In 2005 I invested £1,818 (including Gov voucher).

Total value as of todays date = £1778.52

So after 8.5 years its made a loss of £39.48 :(

So much for investing in your childs future !
  • ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lanstrom wrote: »
    In 2005 I invested £1,818So after 8.5 years its made a loss of £39.48 :(

So much for investing in your childs future !
    You must have been a bit unlucky with your investment choice and timing. Ours is up 35% in the 3 years it has been going and the growth figure would be much higher if it were not for us keeping on adding new money to it.
  • gadgetmindgadgetmind Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    westy22 wrote: »
    Considering the undue haste in which the Government imposes many of the unwelcome changes I wonder why it will take a further 15 months to implement this welcome change?

Yes, spot on. Attacks on personal pensions seem to be implemented almost straight away while straightforward stuff like this festers for years.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • This Government has failed to act sufficiently quickly in changing the CTF rules. I participated in the Consultation, which itself was a farce! Quite simply, the rules could have been changed almost instantly by declaring that investments in Junior ISA's and transfers out of CTF's could be made freely - we adults were allowed to move from TESSA'S to ISA's. My Grand-daughter will be 11 before this new legislation is established - 11 years of appalling returns. DOES SHE HAVE A CASE FOR COMPENSATION THROUGH THIS GOVERNMENT'S SLUGGISH BEHAVIOUR?
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you also shout a lot during the consultation?
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Denthemen wrote: »
    This Government has failed to act sufficiently quickly in changing the CTF rules. I participated in the Consultation, which itself was a farce! Quite simply, the rules could have been changed almost instantly by declaring that investments in Junior ISA's and transfers out of CTF's could be made freely - we adults were allowed to move from TESSA'S to ISA's. My Grand-daughter will be 11 before this new legislation is established - 11 years of appalling returns. DOES SHE HAVE A CASE FOR COMPENSATION THROUGH THIS GOVERNMENT'S SLUGGISH BEHAVIOUR?

11 years of appalling returns compared to what? Junior ISAs didn't exist when your granddaughter was born. Presumably the CTF was quite competitive when it was first opened?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals