MSE News: 0800 calls to be free from mobiles, says Ofcom

in Mobiles
16 replies 2.6K views
"0800 numbers will be free to call from mobiles in 2015, while new rules will make the cost of calling businesses clearer..."
Read the full story:

0800 calls to be free from mobiles, says Ofcom

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Remind me about it in June 2015 ...
  • MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no idea why we have to wait until 2015 TBH. WeQ4u app for me every time...
  • sdduksdduk Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We need it now were most people are struggling for money

Gives the network providers plenty of time to find some other way of getting money out of us customers.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • lemontartlemontart Forumite
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious in why it is going to take 18 months to implement given that the phone companies would have known this was coming before todays official announcement.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is smoke and mirrors. The full cost is being shifted from the call maker to the recipient, and as the interconnection rate is high, this means the 0800 renter has to accept these charges being passed to them, or reject.

It isn't generally known, but calls from public payphones cost 0800 call recipients quite a bit more, due to an additional service fee being applied. They could opt out of this, and a Payphone call would fail. It appears this is being opened up, to include mobile calls allowing them to reject paying the higher charge for the call.

If the recipient is happy to pay the mobile termination rate, then the call will complete, but if not you'll get N/u or an announcement advising the call 'cannot be completed'.

The cost burden is being shifted - it's not a big deal, especially if firms decide to restrict their calls from mobiles.
  • cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    0800 (and 0500 and 0808 numbers) are already free from my mobile.

Get yourself giffgaffed people :)
  • Buzby wrote: »
    It is smoke and mirrors. The full cost is being shifted from the call maker to the recipient, and as the interconnection rate is high, this means the 0800 renter has to accept these charges being passed to them, or reject.

It isn't generally known, but calls from public payphones cost 0800 call recipients quite a bit more, due to an additional service fee being applied. They could opt out of this, and a Payphone call would fail. It appears this is being opened up, to include mobile calls allowing them to reject paying the higher charge for the call.

If the recipient is happy to pay the mobile termination rate, then the call will complete, but if not you'll get N/u or an announcement advising the call 'cannot be completed'.

The cost burden is being shifted - it's not a big deal, especially if firms decide to restrict their calls from mobiles.

Maybe (I wont hold my breath) companies will go back to having a standard 01,02 or 03 number to call.
  • I imagine Ofcom have set this as networks price their plans for the future based on their revenue generated from both the line rental and the cost of out of allowance charges. Setting it so far in advances gives networks plenty of time to work out how to recoup the loss elsewhere.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Consumers Rights Directive goes on statute books today. Operational from June 2014.

"If something goes wrong with a cooker, or commuters want a refund on their season ticket, they will now pay the same to phone a helpline as they do to call friends or family”
    Jo Swinson Consumer Minister."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25355758
  • Ypaymore wrote: »
    Consumers Rights Directive goes on statute books today. Operational from June 2014.

Thank you to the EU for the latest Consumers Rights Directive which has now been enacted by the UK government.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News