Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion

147 replies 57.1K views

Replies

• zebedyzebedy Forumite
    425 posts
    I'm now having major problems with the iphone tool. I live in Marlow Buckinghamshire and have the tool set for 'within 5 miles' but have bought something located in Swansea!!!! The sellers user name had the word 'marlow' so maybe this is why the item showed up.
    I'm now in discussion with the seller
    This needs to be looked into
    Also the app keeps crashing
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zebedy wrote: »
    I'm now having major problems with the iphone tool. I live in Marlow Buckinghamshire and have the tool set for 'within 5 miles' but have bought something located in Swansea!!!! The sellers user name had the word 'marlow' so maybe this is why the item showed up.
    I'm now in discussion with the seller
    This needs to be looked into
    Also the app keeps crashing

why use it?
    you can set up the search parameters in ebay
    then they are always available in your 'my ebay'
  • ConnieConnie Forumite
    70 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Neither the MSE local eBay deals tool, nor localbargainfinder.com is foolproof.
    I'm not impressed with either of them.

I have a piano listed for sale at the moment on eBay. Just out of curiosity I searched for any items in any category within 25 miles of my postcode. Each search only produces 2 items, neither of which is my piano.

On eBay itself, searching for "piano" only, there are 30 items within 25 miles of my postcode.
  • I currently have about 10 items on e-bay. going to finish in 2-3 days time but none of them appear on the local Deals listings.
    Any ice why this might be? I have checked that all the post codes registered to my e-bay account are correct.
    Cheers
  • StaffsSWStaffsSW Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    robinh wrote: »
    I currently have about 10 items on e-bay. going to finish in 2-3 days time but none of them appear on the local Deals listings.
    Any ice why this might be? I have checked that all the post codes registered to my e-bay account are correct.
    Cheers

When using https://www.localbargainfinder.com or any of the other clone tools, you need to ensure you have some of the keyword triggers somewhere in your listing description, such as "cash on collection", “buyer to collect”, "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post", “buyer collects”, "must be collected", etc.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that the tool has stopped storing your postcode when you put the tick in.

I have Cookies enabled etc. and I have looked at the cookie that is stored on my computer and it does contain my postcode.

However, on exiting my browsers (I've tested on both Internet Explorer and Chrome) and then going back to the tool it doesn't remember the postcode.
  • mjcannarmjcannar Forumite
    7 posts
    Search keeps failing especially getting to next pages. says it's found nothing when going to 2nd page after originally show 4 pages found! Didn't use to happen until just recently.

• within 60 miles , no maximum, across all items there was nothing

searching on ebay i found some items within 2 miles , used that spec and still nothing

i would say that tool is crap
  • StaffsSWStaffsSW Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the ebay category codes have changed recently, not all of the local bargain finder tools have been updated yet though.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tool seems broken. If I widen my search to 15 miles - that would include the whole of London, I still get no items.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.