Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 39

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 21 October 2013 at 7:22PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1K replies 63.2K views

Replies

• downshifteddownshifted Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    New spends of £17.15 in Aldi (mainly veg, cheese and those lovely sausages on offer) and £26 at the butchers (2 kilos of chicken breast and 2 kilos of barnsley lamb chops) make the current total £110.39. Next spend planned for the 10th when it is a trip to Lidl for some Xmas things, using the leaflet voucher for £5 off £35
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • cocolocococoloco Forumite
    588 posts
    cocoloco wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY! :mad: I refuse to pay more than 50-60p per kilo for potatoes and often find it that small local shops/ garages have better deals on potatoes than the big supermarkets?!?

:think:.

Just back from the garage/shop (SPAR) from accross my work- I got 2kg of Morris Piper (nice!) potatoes on offer for £1!!! Well happy! May go back at the weekend and get 2-3 more bags in.:p
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • I thought I would share a famous family recipe to say thank you for the advice and recipes I have received.
    My Grandad's Cheese and Potato Pie.
    It's not really a pie but it is cheap and most importantly satisfying. A definite winter warmer.
    I have listed the base ingredients, no measurements, as in my family recipes just get ingredients thrown at them till they taste right.

Mashed potato
    Tinned toms
    Bacon - can also you leftover gammon or boiled bacon
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Strong Cheddar Cheese
    Stilton Cheese
    Mustard powder (generally around 1/4tsp - 1tsp)

Fry the bacon, mushrooms & onions in a little oil and butter
    Then mix into mash with cheese and mustard powder. When fully mixed put in the oven (medium to hot) until brown on top.

Lovely! Also good using the leftover pie as a toast topper!
    That voice in your head that says you can’t do this is a LIAR!

Debt Free - January 2021 :D
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY! :mad: I refuse to pay more than 50-60p per kilo for potatoes and often find it that small local shops/ garages have better deals on potatoes than the big supermarkets?!?

I sometimes manage to get YS potatoes (not that often) and if I'm in luck I just stock up on it because it keeps well for weeks in a cold place. I'm just about to finish up the last lot of YS potatoes and already searching for cheap ones:think:.

I haven`t bought potatoes in the sm for weeks now, bought quite a few 2.1/5 bags for 50p, they are still good as I keep all my fruit and veg in an outside meter cupboard, cool and dark. Also stocked up on 11p tins sometime ago.

I don't think there is any excuse this year for the high supermarket price, my local market has 5lb for 1.00 and if they can do it why not the supermarkets
    Slimming World at target
  • Soworried wrote: »
    They will be on the Lidl weekend specials next weekend if you can last until then? It is 2.5kg for £1.09 I think it is. I'll be getting 5kg :D

Thanks for that. Bough some today from I*eland but will buy more at the weekend when that offer comes up! Is that Saturday coming or Saturday after??
    Just back from the garage/shop (SPAR) from accross my work- I got 2kg of Morris Piper (nice!) potatoes on offer for £1!!! Well happy! May go back at the weekend and get 2-3 more bags in.:p

We have a spar about a mile away, but don't sell potatoes :(
    meg72 wrote: »
    I haven`t bought potatoes in the sm for weeks now, bought quite a few 2.1/5 bags for 50p, they are still good as I keep all my fruit and veg in an outside meter cupboard, cool and dark. Also stocked up on 11p tins sometime ago.

I don't think there is any excuse this year for the high supermarket price, my local market has 5lb for 1.00 and if they can do it why not the supermarkets

Pleased i'm not alone on this potato complaint :rotfl:

Meg our market charges a FORTUNE!

Anyway, been BACK to the shops! Had to go buy a baby gift (different budget) but popped into Mr I*eland and spent anther £5 :o But got milk, pop and 4kg potatoes which i needed. Just means tomorrow will maybe mean a NSD, fingers crossed.

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • cocoloco wrote: »

I sometimes manage to get YS potatoes (not that often) and if I'm in luck I just stock up on it because it keeps well for weeks in a cold place. I'm just about to finish up the last lot of YS potatoes and already searching for cheap ones:think:.

I don't understand how they can sell Tesco value chips 1.5kg for 82p but raw potatoes are more expensive in comparision. £2.25 for 2.5kg

• cocolocococoloco Forumite
    588 posts
    I don't understand how they can sell Tesco value chips 1.5kg for 82p but raw potatoes are more expensive in comparision. £2.25 for 2.5kg

Because thet are gready b******s! :(
    The supermarkets probably only paying pennies to the suppliers...
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • Didn't buy any groceries today but did put £5 in the British Legion bucket for my poppy pin does this still count as an NSD?

Lunch today - HM Leek and potato soup with HM bread
    Found a single salmon fillet lurking in the freezer (hubby is working tonight so just me to worry about).
    Dinner - Salmon with Charlotte potatoes and cabbage
    May even cut the fillet in half so can stretch it out for lunch tomorrow

• Been quite bad with the spends this week, hoping to pull it back next week...

Did a little shop in the local T express on Sunday to get lunch bits, DH ended up getting a couple of pre-packaged sandwiches because he couldn't be bothered to make anything. I went so Sainsbobs on Tuesday evening, mostly because I was bored! Stocked up on tins that were on an offer ending that night. Then went to Li*l today and bought fresh veg and a couple of other bits.

Total spends this week of £65.54, but will be making soup with that at the weekend for lunches next week, so hopefully won't spend as much next week! Will update sig now.
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500:j:j
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Bough some today from I*eland but will buy more at the weekend when that offer comes up! Is that Saturday coming or Saturday after??

We have a spar about a mile away, but don't sell potatoes :(

Pleased i'm not alone on this potato complaint :rotfl:

Meg our market charges a FORTUNE!

Anyway, been BACK to the shops! Had to go buy a baby gift (different budget) but popped into Mr I*eland and spent anther £5 :o But got milk, pop and 4kg potatoes which i needed. Just means tomorrow will maybe mean a NSD, fingers crossed.

CP xx

I do think its a matter of luck with markets, ours is just the local run of the mill, if its a farmers market prices always seem sky high and I don't shop there.

How about we all refuse to pay the high price and start our own hunt the spud at reasonable price.
    Slimming World at target