very good experience with Ecotricity

edited 31 October 2013 at 4:50PM in Energy
13 replies 1.2K views
benefitquery_2benefitquery_2 Forumite
21 Posts
edited 31 October 2013 at 4:50PM in Energy
:jI don't know if M.S.Expert allow users to compliment a company or not ?(if not, please delete this.)

But for all those interested in finding a good electricity company with good customer services etc.. Here's me experience.

Well, my electricity has been with Ecotricity (they also do gas too-but I don't use any gas) some time now and I have never experienced any problems with them.

The bill is ALWAYS (yes, always) clear and I'm only paying £100/yr total for my electricity.

I just fill-in their online meter reading form with a meter reading every so often and they have never messed me around.

They don't try to make things complicated or unclear.

Also, the added bonus is it's renewable energy.

Replies

• Zero kWhs per year of gas. And only £100 of electricity per year. ???
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭

The bill is ALWAYS (yes, always) clear and I'm only paying £100/yr total for my electricity.

Out of interest, what is their kWh price?

I am somewhat surprised at a bill of £100 a YEAR! That's what many all electric properties would expect to pay in a month...
  • Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is their kWh price?

I am somewhat surprised at a bill of £100 a YEAR! That's what many all electric properties would expect to pay in a month...
    I've no idea how the OP gets that figure - Ecotricity's standing charge is higher than that in most regions.
  • Okay, their standing charges for electricity vary from £36 to £120 per year. (pdfs from this page) Talk about postcode lotteries.

Even so 400 kWh per year for an electricity only household is strange.
  • edited 1 November 2013 at 3:42PM
    21 Posts
    edited 1 November 2013 at 3:42PM
    Hi folks and thanks for the comments.

I don't have Ecotricity (who I 'm with for electricity) electricity prices at hand so I've entered my postcode on their website to see the prices they charge me (in my area):

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-your-home/check-our-prices

Here's what I pay:

Standing charge
    £68.99 per year

Unit rate: 14.29p

Yes, the consumption is very low compared to the average family. IN fact, the vast majority of the bill usually comprises of the standing charge!

I am happy with Ecotricty not only for their prices, but also for their good customer services and clear bills.

I'll probably end up switching my gas to Ecotricity soon (no standing charge I've discovered -at least no standing charge in my area) or just get the meter removed (I don't use gas).

British Gas-whom I am currently with for Gas- want to soon start billing me around £91 a year standing charge when my meter is cut off!

I suppose the "Big 6" are probably worried more and more people are deciding to:
    -cut down their consumption
    -turn off either the gas or electricity so there is only once standing charge (instead of 2) and it's easier to keep track of.
  • Thank you, Benefitquery. But you still haven't answered the fundamental puzzle - even if your heating and water is wood or oil or coal how can your total other usage be only 217 kWh per year or 4 kWh per week? That doesn't even cover a fridge.
  • edited 1 November 2013 at 4:26PM
    21 Posts
    edited 1 November 2013 at 4:26PM
    Thanks, Nada666.

I have not quite reached the level of complete utility-deprivation commonly associated with, let's say, perhaps the Amish community :-)

However, there is no fridge, no freezer, no heating put on (even if I wanted heating, there is an air vent in my flat!) and no washing machine or drying machine.

It can be done!

(But I must admit I am not looking forward to any Siberian-style winter weather)

My main usage is probably the hot plate, kettle, lights and watching DVDs
    (I do eat out a lot so there's not much home-cooking).

It will be jumpers, hats, socks, 2 trousers and lots and lots of covers if the weather gets cold.
  • Eating out instead of paying £1 per week to run a fridge freezer - not exactly a net advantage at the end of the week. ;)
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not my idea of living either.
  • I think Good Energy provide a better service anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides