Virgin Cancelation Dilema

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 450 views
mark_stepsmark_steps Forumite
858 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Gave my notice last month in early advance, so my cut off date is 11 November 2013. Got a call from them 2 weeks ago offering 60 meg only at £22.50. Declined the offer.
They rang again on Thursday and offered the same deal. Again i declined. The rep told me this was the best offer i would get and as i use the internet alot, would be stuck if i went elsewhere..

Heres where i now worry. Im on holiday the week before i get cut off. Back on the Sunday morning(10 Nov).

Should i call on the sunday to get a deal and just accept what i get, will the retentions team even be open?

Also if i let them D/C me, will they call back like sky do to get you to return and are they likely to charge for this?

Replies

• edited 28 October 2013 at 8:24PM
    in_my_bumble_opinionin_my_bumble_opinion Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 October 2013 at 8:24PM
    In my opinion 60 mg for £22.50 (assuming it's a 12 month contract, not 18) is a good deal. They are VERY tight for broadband only users and you almost never get offered something good. If you disconnected then waited a month you wouldn't get as good a deal.....you would only get 3 months at £22.50 then the remaining 9 at £27.50 and they may even try to charge you for reconnection and/or courier fee to get your hub sent back out to you.
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I accepted £22.50 for 60Mbps.

Somebody said that they held out for a Superhub 2 as well and got that. I have seen claims of even cheaper for 100/120Mbps on TBB but the poster is a known BS artist.

Considering you'd need to pay line rental on any xDSL deal and take fibre to match the speed I don't think that price can be beaten. If you actually need a home phone (as I do) then Vonage for 2000 minutes which is virtually unlimited UK geographic numbers costs £5.99.
  • edited 29 October 2013 at 8:01PM
    Kev27Kev27 Forumite
    389 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 29 October 2013 at 8:01PM
    I got 60meg BB only for £22.50 with superhub in Feb on a 12month contract (after a lot of bartering.) I rang up a few weeks back to challenge the VM increase as mine was going up to £25.00 a month. Long story short ive been kept on £22.50 a month contract and when my contract is up next Feb, i will still only have to pay £22.50 on a none contract basis for next 5years. However i will be giving them another call in Feb to try and get it down to £20 a month on a 12 month contract but if not then i will carry on with the £22.50 on a none contract basis with them as they really are the best.

But atm £22.50 really is the minimum they will go to for 60Meg so ya might aswell accept it. They should throw a superhub in if you haven't already had one off them. Maybe try and get the 60meg on a none contract basis too.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides