Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

October 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 53

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

October 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 24 September 2013 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
947 replies 51.6K views

Replies

• WantToBeSE wrote: »
    updating signature to add another £50 exactly :)

i am noticing a real difference now that i am shopping at Aldi.

The aldi that i go to is just down the road from a morrisons. So i go to aldi and get the majority of stuff, then pop into morrisons to get the 3 for £10 meats.

I am a real tea fiend and my fave is Twinings Everyday. This is something i have never gone down a brand on. I have tried lots of different cheaper tea brands but just nothing compares to twinings.

Can anyone recommend one? I have an Aldi, morrisons, and Tesco close to me.

My OH always insisted on Twinnings, but I started getting A£DI's version and putting it in the pot, he sort of did notice at first, seemed to put up with it...........recently I said did he want me to go back to Twinnings and his reply was that you can't really taste any difference!!! I did ask why he had been putting on a face about it and he said just to wind me up!!! Lol...go for A£DI's HTH SG
  • A£LI spend today £16.93, Allinson Strong White Bread Flour 1.5kg on offer 75p

Chilli tonight, made yesterday so just the rice to do, easy Friday night!

Will be making carrot and coriander soup and herby cheesey bread for lunch tomorrow.

Got a whole salmon YS from Mr S a few weeks ago and made up 9 packs of 2 person fillets for the freezer, so it's salmon with jackets and HM coleslaw for Saturday night dinner.

Going to try making brioche buns for Sunday breakfast from a recipe in a c0-0p magazine, appears you make the dough up and leave it overnight, then shape, glaze and bake in the morning, hope it is as easy as it sounds and they come out as nice as the picture!

Then YS venison for Sunday lunch with roasties and yorkshires leftover from last week out of the freezer.

Looking at the weather outside and the forecast for the weekend it's hearty meals for us to keep the heating bills down, have a good weekend y'all.
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ooohh brioche pls tell me the recipe
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • got given a bag of free cooking apples yesterday so apple pie and apple crumble a few times next week i think
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am for the first time in I can't remember when NOT doing a weekly shop today :D:j I don't need anything except some apples and bananas which I will get Sunday or Monday. DH may want beer and crisps but I will try and keep him reigned in as much as possible as I have £8.70 left. We will go over as we have 11 days left, including today but I do want to minimise the damage as much as possible.

I would have been able to claim my 3rd NSD in a row but needed ibuprofen after having a crown fitted this morning, 25p spent in Mr S. The dentist did give me a mini branded toothpaste though;)

I was very busy in the kitchen last night after the mince I had taken out of the freezer and left in the fridge all day was still 3/4 frozen when I got in. I am still a bit iffy about mince so didnt want to risk nuking it so cobbled something together with sausages for us both. I then made a loaf in the breadmaker and a batch of flapjack.

My first attempt with the D0ve GF flour and the breadmaker was not a great success, a bit eggy and very dense like rye bread. I can see a lot of toast on the menu this weekend:rotfl: I need to improve my results if we are both going to eat GF bread next week:eek: The pizza base I made wasn't great either so I need to try some different recipes.

Will make cottage pie tonight with frozen veg and gravy and may rustle up either a berry splodge or a chocolate orange puddle pudding to have with custard for me and the last bit of ice cream for DH.
    PAYDBX 2020 £3578.25/£10,000 35.8% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 45%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 156 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • WantToBeSEWantToBeSE Forumite
    7.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tea advice. I have picked up some aldi gold tea bags. Much cheaper than twinings..we'll see how it tastes :)
  • iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks for the tea advice. I have picked up some aldi gold tea bags. Much cheaper than twinings..we'll see how it tastes :)

Let us know your findings, I don't drink twinings but do stick to branded tea bags, I could do with finding a decent supermarket one.
  • I'm back.

Last week was a success, after realizing last month that we spend about 3/4 of our budget at the start of the month, I wanted to try to level it out more, so last week we spent only £5.00 in T£sc0 on milk and veg.

Today we needed a bit more of a stock up from Ald1 - total was £59.99 but included a couple of Christmas bits and some cleaning stuff.

Also needed to dive into Tesc0 for toothpaste and their version of Crav*ndale, came out £35 lighter, but the toothpaste was on bogof so we are stocked up well into the new year.

Total spend so far 99.99/100

And the good news, 1/3 of the way through the month and we are 1/3 of the way through the budget.
    December 2014 GC 71.59/300
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

Spent £53.33 at Mr Ald today, this did include 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of coconut rum:eek: bad girl....:beer:

Its the first Ald in our area and I must say I am very impressed with what I,ve had so far, their OB crisps taste just like the W brand and even my pampered puddy tats enjoyed their basic cat food, and they are very fussy.

I did spend another £9.99 on a frozen turkey crown, but thats for Xmas and came out of my sistercas fund.

Have a fab weekend all :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • craigywv wrote: »
    ooohh brioche pls tell me the recipe

Overnight Brioche Buns

150g unsalted butter, softened
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    4 medium eggs
    500g strong white bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp fast action yeast
    200mls semi skimmed milk
    12 tsp granulated sugar (optional)
    To serve, jam (optional)

1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until combined. Then beat in 3 of the eggs, one at a time. Add 1 tbsp of the flour and beat until smooth.

2. Add the rest of the flour, salt, yeast and milk to the bowl and mix together. Cover with clingfilm and leave at room temperature for at least 7 hours, or preferable overnight.

3. In th morning, preheat the oven to 190 /fan 170 /gas 5 and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.

4. Four a work surface and your hands and turn the dough out onto the surface. Pull off lumps of dough about the size of a satsuma and roll into balls with your hands. Place in tin.

5. Beat the remaining egg and brush over the tops of the brioche to glaze. If you like, you can sprinkle 1 tsp of caster sugar over the top of each bun to make them sweeter. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Serve as soon as they've cooled slightly, either on their own or spread with your favourite jam.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have not tried this recipe yet, but plan to make them on Saturday for Sunday breakfast. Would be interested in hearing how you get on with the recipe. :)