Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 936.9K views

Replies

• Hopelessly_HopefulHopelessly_Hopeful Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you always have to use liquid in a slow cooker? and how much to add do you fill it with liquid to the top?

In the 80s I thought slow cookers were just for caseroles. Now I cook joints dry quite often (no water added, most meat has some moisture or fat in). The results are still succulent and moist.

Hope that helps

HHx
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the 80s I thought slow cookers were just for caseroles. Now I cook joints dry quite often (no water added, most meat has some moisture or fat in). The results are still succulent and moist.

Hope that helps

HHx

I have never tried this, despite using a slow cooker for the last twenty years. Does the meat have any colour to it, because I know that lamb shanks end up with a bit of caramelising on them?
  • andygb wrote: »
    I have never tried this, despite using a slow cooker for the last twenty years. Does the meat have any colour to it, because I know that lamb shanks end up with a bit of caramelising on them?

no I always brown off in an oven after if I want colour.
  • Do you always have to use liquid in a slow cooker? and how much to add do you fill it with liquid to the top?

No but be aware some tefal models have a detector of some sort and the slow cooker will switch onto keep warm automatically if it detects no liquid left in the bowl. My old one was like this xx
  • Thank you :-)

I'm guessing you would do it on low not high?

I'm going to do a trial run!
  • To get colour on your meat, you can always put on a high heat in a frying pan & brown all round before you put it in the slow cooker - browning/caramalization gives it a better flavour.

A lot of meat - especially the cheaper stuff - has a lot of water pumped into it to make it more succulent - well that is what the excuse is - after all water is much cheaper than meat - the reason why chicken breasts look shiny!! & you get a sort of white froth when you cook some bacon.
  • vulturevulture Forumite
    310 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    rach wrote: »
    one of my faves:

look in bottom of fridge & locate all random bits of veg...if not enough try the freezer.

wash, chop and throw into slow cooker

add some tinned toms / passata

add an organic stock cube / lea & perrins / some kind of seasoning

(sometimes i add quorn chunks or similar.)

as ausielle says - mainly trial and error - i use it loads, especially in the winter.

lentils and beans also cook really well in here and soak up the flavour nicely.

Lea and Perrins is not vegetarian

Ingredients: Distilled White Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Sugar, Onions, Anchovies, Salt, Garlic, Cloves, Tamarind Extract? plant or veg tamarind, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract.
    Allergens: Anchovies.
    Water is a basic necessity - not for profit
  • Hello, ive searched and cannot find a thread about slow cooker cooking.
    Im the first to admit im not a very good cook and as I live on my own my friends suggested I buy a slow cooker for the winter.
    I thought the leaflet that came with it would give me handy hints and tips and easy recipies, but it doesn't.
    Its a 3litre size if that is of any use.
    Im looking for meat recipes or for soups, stews and casseroles. MSE of course.
    Thankyou. :)
  • edited 2 October 2013 at 8:37AM
    sleepymanssleepymans Forumite
    860 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2013 at 8:37AM
    I love my slow cooker and wouldn't be without it in the winter especially,

Last night I browned some chicken thighs (big pack on offer in Tresco) in a pan with the spices from an Aldis curry mix, once browned popped them in the slow cooker pot with a pack of fresh veg soup mix (£1 also from Tresco) which is nice because its already prepped and seasoned, I had some left over leek trimmings (Leeks seem to be soooo expensive these days that I hate to waste the green ends!)so chopped them up and popped them in, then put the curry sauce on top with half a tin of"basic" chopped tomatoes.

I set it to Medium heat about 8pm and have just left it cooking overnight. OH turned it off at the mains at 6am before leaving for work.

There is enough for 6 decent portions which when cooled will last a couple of days in the fridge OR if can be frozen for reheating another time.....and it is DELICIOUS!

I also use it for veg stew, soup, hotpot, rice pudding, sausage casserole, etc etc.

TIP
    I don't use packet (powder format) mixes as they can be difficult to get the liquid ratio right. Sometimes the sauce is too thin and sometimes the result remains "powdery" iykwim but other than that any recipe that you would either casserole in the oven or simmer in a pan should be fine.
    TIP
    You cant really go wrong and as for timing, after a couple of hours you can lift the lid and test the food but I only ever had one meal dry out too much and that was because I hadn't "seated" the lid on and so the liquid evaporated.
    TIP
    The aroma when you come home from work, or get up in the morning will make you very very hungry!
    TIP
    Use decent ingredients and experiment DONT put it away at the back of the cupboard and forget to try using it!

ENJOY
    :A Goddess :A