SIPP investment in Property

1246714

Replies

  • lozzy1965 wrote: »
    You are one of the angry men pal.

    Angry is one thing i'm not. Perhaps you can't see the tongue in my cheek throughout my comments. I don't care what you do with your money, so why would I be angry?

    If I take your comments as gospel: You are an experienced, sophisticated investor wishing to diversify further.

    That does not sound like someone who a) needs advice on future investments or b) can't see why it would be a mistake to buy shares in something like this.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lozzy1965 wrote: »
    I don't personally know anyone who has either made, nor lost money in an unregulated offshore investment.
    You don't know me personally but I have made money in an unregulated offshore investment: isePankur. It appears likely to be more profitable than the investment you're considering.
    lozzy1965 wrote: »
    I do only want to put 5% into ventures such as this.
    A 5% cap is sensible. That should limit your risk greatly even if you were to find yourself in a scheme that happens to be completely fraudulent, as customers of Mr. Madoff's investments did.

    Such caps are critical protection for those using higher risk activities and useful even for those in the mainstream, though regulated collective investments can sensibly involve more than that.
  • lozzy1965lozzy1965 Forumite
    522 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    mania112 wrote: »
    Angry is one thing i'm not. Perhaps you can't see the tongue in my cheek throughout my comments. I don't care what you do with your money, so why would I be angry?

    If I take your comments as gospel: You are an experienced, sophisticated investor wishing to diversify further.

    That does not sound like someone who a) needs advice on future investments or b) can't see why it would be a mistake to buy shares in something like this.

    My reference is to the one man standing up against the rest of the jury who can't see his point of view. Not that I am professing to be right in this case, I just get the impression that everyone else is assuming, with no evidence whatsoever, that this is a scam, just because property investment scams do exist. I am NOT saying that this is not a scam, just that I have found no evidence that it is one.

    As to me. I am an experienced, sensible (though people on here don't seem to think that) investor in the UK stock market. I have never seen anything like this before that I haven't found with minimal digging, to be a dodgy investment. I cannot find anything wrong with this so far. I am not saying unregulated investments are a good idea. I am not saying that I will invest in this, nor that anyone else should invest in this. I am saying the scheme looks plausible and was hoping that someone on here might have some direct experience of this company, but everyone seems to have experience of property scams and therefore assumes that there is no such thing as a good property investment.

    It MIGHT not be a mistake to invest in this particular scheme. I CAN see that schemes like this are potentially dodgy!

    Rant over.
  • lozzy1965lozzy1965 Forumite
    522 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    atush wrote: »
    You with ten posts. all on this subjecty/investment are calling a poster with over 1000 posts on Different subject and over 300 thank yous a Troll?

    Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything the above poster has to say, but we all know They aren't the Troll here. Look int he Mirror.

    OK I rose to the childish name calling bait, however, I hope you can see from my posts that I am not Trolling to wind people up for a reaction, I am trying to offer an alternate point of view.

    atush wrote: »
    Go on, prove you're not a Troll and invest in this company anyway. In a few years, when you realize you have been taken to the cleaners and come back here to complain we'll all have your 'hard' evidence. After all, if you were genuine and were determined to invest even after all that has been said, you can be our evidence of bad judgement thru greed.
    Now who's being childish. Read my posts properly, then come back with a grown up response when you realize what I have actually been consistently saying!
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered something a bit similar but on a smaller scale, nearer to home, more personally managed, and with a smaller but less risky return?

    For example, you could purchase your own commercial property, real bricks and mortar that would be owned directly by your SIPP. That might give 8% rental return on capital value.
    Or you could go for a capital gain by yourself buying a run-down property in an up-coming area, or one ripe for subdividing.
    You could manage such schemes yourself - you could employ the contractors, or even on a small scheme do a lot of the actual work yourself.

    12% seems a comparatively very low return for the risk of buying into someone else's unregulated scheme in another country.
  • lozzy1965 wrote: »
    I'm not tempted by this unless it is a safe as buying and selling shares on the London Stock Market.

    Ok, so you're not doing it.

    lozzy1965 wrote: »
    All comments gratefully received by me and others who might have had similar calls!

    Who called you? You accept unsolicited calls?
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lozzy1965 wrote: »
    OK I rose to the childish name calling bait, however, I hope you can see from my posts that I am not Trolling to wind people up for a reaction, I am trying to offer an alternate point of view.



    Now who's being childish. Read my posts properly, then come back with a grown up response when you realize what I have actually been consistently saying!


    I read your posts, where you said you don't want to invest in anything Greater risk than shares int he stock market- this is higher risk as it is unregulated. Will it make money like Jamesd's did? Probably not.

    Why? Because you were cold called. No one I know of has EVER made money off a cold call, but plenty have lost money.

    So, stop the childish name calling, and read the posts to YOU properly. If you want something high risk, go out and seek it. I have no problem with high risk. But dont look at things that cold callers are trying to sell you.
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not looked in to the individual investment, so feel free to ignore the rest of this post.

    I maintain that it *sounds* like UCIS territory - meaning the sort of thing that UCIS invest in. But if it's a corporate bond, then your adviser is right to say it isn't a UCIS.

    My general concern would be why the issuer thinks they need to offer a return of 12% to get investors. Bond issuers prefer to pay as little as possible, because they want their borrowing to be cheap. If they have to offer 12% to get anybody to bite, that's because they think nobody will invest at 11%, 10% etc. If you don't understand why other people aren't interested at 11%, you shouldn't touch it.

    There are cases where investing a bond like this can be a very good idea (but only for a small proportion of your portfolio). If you have enough information to assess the risks properly - particularly if you have information the rest of the market doesn't have - you might think 12% is a good return relative to the risk. Other people might disagree (possibly because they haven't been to Germany /investigated the thing properly / whatever).

    Another concern would be around the guarantees. If the guarantee is provided by TinPotTinyCompany Limited, based in the British Virgin Islands, I'll trust it a lot less than if it's provided by Barclays Bank.
  • Greek government 10-year bonds currently have a yield slightly over 10%.

    These are guaranteed by the Greek government, and are probably a lot more liquid than this bond from Dolphin Capital.

    Would I invest in these? No. Although they're "guaranteed", there's still a relatively high chance of default. But it may be a safer (and more mainstream....) way of achieving the type of return that the bonds discussed on this thread are offering.
  • lozzy1965lozzy1965 Forumite
    522 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Perelandra wrote: »
    Greek government 10-year bonds currently have a yield slightly over 10%.

    These are guaranteed by the Greek government, and are probably a lot more liquid than this bond from Dolphin Capital.

    Would I invest in these? No. Although they're "guaranteed", there's still a relatively high chance of default. But it may be a safer (and more mainstream....) way of achieving the type of return that the bonds discussed on this thread are offering.

    OK I get your point, but a little bit sarcastic! Greece is all over the news. We ALL know what a state the Greek government is in. I cannot find a single bit of bad press on the internet on Dolphin Capital. And NO! I am NOT saying these are a good investment! I am simply asking questions.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals