Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

September 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 60

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 July 2013 at 2:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 72.3K views

Replies

• Not been on here for a couple of days. Spent £11 ish at farmfoods yesterday (another one where DH forgets the receipt!) today I spent £1.50 at corner shop on milk. It looks like I will have to go out again this evening as we have run out of cat food and also fruit for lunch boxes. Off to write a list. Signature has been updated.
    Rach Pach
    Living the dream, one moment at a time. It's not always easy but there are sparkles of joy around every corner. :heart::heart::j
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feeling rather pleased with myself. Just put a beef stew in slow cooker will freeze leftovers for tea one night next week. I saved all the ends of the vegetables to use to make chicken stock from tomorrows chicken, never made a stock before strangely I am quite looking forward to it :D

Just a quick question, what does everyone use to store leftovers in the freezer? I don't have alot of tubs, now I am wishing I had saved chinese take away containers. Struggling to think what I can put the leftover stew into, it will probably have to be a ceramic dish and cover with foil, which isn't very space saving.

My weeks meal plan

M- slow cooker beef stew HM bread - coke float
    T- Chicken in slow cooker, potatoes, frozen veg, yorkshire - poached pear, ice cream
    W- chicken (from tuesday) curry with jar sauce - rubbard crumble
    T- sausage muffins (like M's breakfast ds loves these) potato wedges, frozen veg -self saucing choc pud
    F- Frozen fish, chips, peas, value curry sauce - pud from thurs
    S- not sure something I can find in cupboard/freezer
    S- HM pizza, wedges, beans - lemon sponge might try AGCJ as suggested above (thanks)

Could you please share your recipe for self saucing choc puds? My DDs would love these.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350 Jun £90.79/350
    Forever learning the art of frugality
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My !!!!! cat has had a poorly tum last week and after trying chicken recommended by the vet, as well as tuna, the only thing that tempted him was Sheba. We ran out yesterday so I gave him his usual Aldi cat food and you could almost hear his disgust lol when I gave it him. He's on hunger strike so I popped to Aldi to take the two boxes we had back for a refund and picked up a few bits for the rest of month meal plans. £4.78 refund and £14.91 spent so net effect £10.13 total. I then had to pop to Sainsburys for some Sheba and a couple of other things and a further £9.08 spent there. Thankfully !!!!! is no longer on hunger strike! Off to update signature now :) x

One of my cats will only eat Sheba also. Fusspots aren't they!?
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350 Jun £90.79/350
  • edited 10 September 2013 at 5:47PM
    iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 September 2013 at 5:47PM
    Could you please share your recipe for self saucing choc puds? My DDs would love these.

Off course, its super easy got the recipe out of a student cookbook.

Sauce
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    50g brown sugar (I use white)
    250ml boiling water

Pudding
    75g marg or butter, softened
    75g brown sugar (again I just use white)
    65g self raising flour
    3 tablespoons cocoa powder
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I use a bit extra)

-Heat oven gas 4 / 180c
    -To make sauce, put cocoa and sugar into bowl and mix in boiling water until smooth
    -To make pudding, put all ingredients into a bowl and beat together until smooth
    - Spoon pudding mix into a greased dish, then pour sauce over top.
    -The original recipe says to bake for 15 mins but it always takes longer in my oven. Test after 15mins and if not done, bake a bit more until ready :) The sauce will sink to the bottom and the pudding should rise.

Enjoy, Its lovely served with ice cream.
  • £26.11 spent in s*insburys today, just cover fresh stuff for the week.
    Had a stroke of luck at the till as the customer before had left a '£3 off £20 spend' voucher behind. So I claimed it and successfully reduced the cost of my shopping! Result! Also had a double nectar points voucher and will get £1.55 off my next shop thru the comparison thing. Great stuff :-)
    GC Sept '13: £249.05/£250, NSDs: 9/7!! :j
    GC Oct '13 £236.00/ £250, NSDs: 13/9!
    GC Nov '13 £5.72/ £250, NSDs: /10
  • Well with yesterdays takeaway (£20) and todays shopping coming in at £69.54 I am feeling very doubtful about making my target. Still finding it very worthwhile to do the challenge, and thinking about making some changes to the way I shop, such as going when there are reductions as never much YS stuff when I go.

Slow cooker out of hiding today, fancied beef stew and dumplings as felt a bit nippy last night and this morning, and was surprised at all the comments on facebook from people who'd put heating on :eek: (we're sticking with extra layers until at least October!)
  • NSD today, will be going to ald* tomorrow morning so just looking for some inspiration for my shopping list!
    January Grocery challenge - £165.31/£350
  • Evening all!
    Great recipes and ideas on here. Today was a NSD for me. Half tempted into the shops but the rain put me off!
    I've spent today making large batches of gluten free cookies and made a big lasagne with Q*orn mince, red lentils and oats to bulk it out. Means there is a weeks worth of 'ready meals' in the freezer for OH, will try and make something else so he's got some variety!!
    Loving this forum for ideas and support. It's made me stick to meal planning and use up what's here instead of buying for the sake of it.
    :)
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017
    :):):)
    Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    ;)
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Off course, its super easy got the recipe out of a student cookbook.

Sauce
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    50g brown sugar (I use white)
    250ml boiling water

Pudding
    75g marg or butter, softened
    75g brown sugar (again I just use white)
    65g self raising flour
    3 tablespoons cocoa powder
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I use a bit extra)

-Heat oven gas 4 / 180c
    -To make sauce, put cocoa and sugar into bowl and mix in boiling water until smooth
    -To make pudding, put all ingredients into a bowl and beat together until smooth
    - Spoon pudding mix into a greased dish, then pour sauce over top. Bake in oven for 15 mins until sauce has sunk to the bottom and pudding has risen.

Enjoy, Its lovely served with ice cream.

Much appreciated. Do you think this would work in the slow cooker? I normally make little puds in there in old containers from previous puds.
  • iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Much appreciated. Do you think this would work in the slow cooker? I normally make little puds in there in old containers from previous puds.

Sorry I'm not sure I've never done a dessert in mine.