Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

August 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 47

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 August 2013 at 2:27PM in Old Style MoneySaving
969 replies 82K views

Replies

• FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    A nsd for me today, two days in a row.
    Quite a productive day. We dug up one a half rows of potatoes from our allotment. A big potato sack full. We have several more rows to do. Enough broad beans picked to fill up an empty ice cream container, now in the freezer. Half an ice cream tub filled with raspberries from our allotment,also in the freezer. Hopefully this will help with the budget.
    Can anyone help with this question. I took out of the freezer today a pack of chicken and a pack of beef, which were already cooked a little while ago. I was cooking a curry with both meats. I only used the beef in the end as there was more in there than i thought. Will the chicken be ok for me to use tomorrow for dinner? It has been in the fridge since it came out of the freezer this morning.
    Thank you in advance.
    Sorry for long rambling post.
    FS
    Yes - smell/look at it tomorrow.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NSD today.
    For dinner we had pork steak with roast potatoes + HM Yorkshire Pudding + roasted beetroot/red + white onions/tomatoes + gravy for dinner.
    I made a cake as well.
    [IMG][/img]Wednesdaysdinner_zpsa14ab303.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • My dear frogglers,

Please can you advise me of meals that I can grill or use hob for as oven is broken and can't afford new one at the moment:o.

So far done sweet and sour chicken, pasta, sausage and mash, fish fingers and risotto. Can you help me with any new ideas please?

Thanks a million. Lots of love xxx
    Lovely family with DH and 2 DD, looking to be mortgage free at 50
  • Is it too late to join? I ave already done one shop this month and as this is the start for me having done an inventory of what I have in the freeze and cupboard would lie to think I can make it to the 31st on £150.

Have enjoyed reading back through this thread and am feeling quite excited about the prospect o the challenge of feeding my little family a healthy diet whilst keeping a close eye on what I am spending (my bills have spiralled over the past couple of years)
    Debt as of today (07/08/2013)
    CC1 £3,218.00 0% apr CC2 £538.23 15.9% Bank of Mum & Dad £10,000.00
    Have removed my head from the sand and will be debt free a soon as is realistically possible
    :T:rotfl::rotfl:Not smoked since 3rd June 2013 :rotfl::rotfl::T
    August Grocery Challenge £17.23/£150
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Sweetie83
    Risotto
    Stir fry's
    Curry's
    Fish in milk & butter in frying pan
    Stews
    Sausage & mash
    Bacon tomatoes, mushrooms eggs
    Spaghetti bolognaise
    Omelettes
    Steak
    Soups
    Toasties
    Chops
    Spicy chicken wings/thighs
    Hotdogs
    Kebabs
    Burgers
    Meat balls in tom sauce
    Pasta & veg
    Chilli
    Chicken & veg put into wraps
    Schnitzels
    Corn beef hash
    Carbonara sauce & pasta
    Cooked and sliced potatoes fried off with onions & bacon or chorizo
    Bacon & parsley sauce
    Liver & onions
    Mussels in wine sauce

do you have a slow cooker that you can use? HTH
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • So far this month, I've spent £40 of my £80 budget. It's not bad, but could be a bit better! I'm having to buy a few bits of meat this month, which is pushing my costs up, but I won't need to buy very much next week, and hopefully not the week after either.
  • Oh my so much spending on sat:( pet food...71.72, aldilly 8.70, 3.79 mr morrison, eggs from down the road, 1.80 and an asda delivery 85.24 cripes thats 171.25 to add to my total:O
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #54 - toilet paper tunneller
  • edited 7 August 2013 at 11:14PM
    Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 7 August 2013 at 11:14PM
    For those who requested it (and added to index) -

319B0A85-0654-43D6-9FE6-63599BE55DAE-2832-000001BE9D5FEF51_zpse51c3388.jpg

Sundried tomato & chorizo risotto - Serves two (£1.03 per portion, not including salad)
    • 1/2 pack chorizo, cut into half rounds (around 100g) £1.20
    • 175g risotto rice (2/3 mug is how I measure normally) 34p
    • 1 small onion, chopped (free from friend’s garden, but 3p if from a value pack)*
    • 30g sundried tomatoes halves, soaked and cut into thin strips (this was 6 tomato halves) (free as a gift, but about 30p if the same big bulk tub is bought online)*
    • 25g parmesan or similar, grated 20p
    • Chicken or vegetable stock (I actually used homemade duck stock, free)*

Heat a deep frying pan over a medium heat and add the chorizo (you don’t need oil). Allow to cook for a few minutes, stirring, until warmed through, starting to crisp on the edges and the pan is coated in orange oil.

Remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside. Return the pan, with the oil still in it, to the heat and add the onions, frying them off in the chorizo oil for a few minutes until soft. Meanwhile, heat some stock in a saucepan (I ended up using about 6-7 ladlefuls or so, if it helps – all the stock I had plus water at the end when I ran out of stock).

Add the risotto rice to the onions, stir well to coat in the oil, then cook for a further minute or two, until the grains are turning translucent. Add a ladleful of stock and stir in.

Continue to add stock and stir as the rice cooks – around 22-25 minutes or so. A few minutes before the end, add the chorizo and slice sundried tomatoes.

When the rice is creamy and cooked but still with a little bite to it, remove from the heat, add the parmesan (I reserved a tiny bit to sprinkle on top) and beat hard with the wooden spoon until everything is incorporated and well combined. Season and serve with a side salad, or stuff into pepper halves and bake in the oven until tender.

EDIT - don't soak the tomatoes if they're the type in oil...
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    getting-sorted-sarah- your no-knead bread recipe added to the index.
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    Sweetie83
    Risotto
    Stir fry's
    Curry's
    Fish in milk & butter in frying pan
    Stews
    Sausage & mash
    Bacon tomatoes, mushrooms eggs
    Spaghetti bolognaise
    Omelettes
    Steak
    Soups
    Toasties
    Chops
    Spicy chicken wings/thighs
    Hotdogs
    Kebabs
    Burgers
    Meat balls in tom sauce
    Pasta & veg
    Chilli
    Chicken & veg put into wraps
    Schnitzels
    Corn beef hash
    Carbonara sauce & pasta
    Cooked and sliced potatoes fried off with onions & bacon or chorizo
    Bacon & parsley sauce
    Liver & onions
    Mussels in wine sauce

do you have a slow cooker that you can use? HTH

Jacket potatoes, bourgignon, strogonoff, goulash ... can all be cooked in low on the hob or better still invest in a slow cooker whilst your oven is Out of order.

Went to Mr M yesterday for milk but it was dearer than C*-*p so got it in there instead, although I did manage a 9p loaf at 8.45pm. So will attempt to shop at that time again. Rest of spends jn C*-*p, off the top of my head, all YS except milk were 75p for nectarines, a double punnet of strawbs (I think £2.00), 36p for a cucumber and 75p for an iceberg lettuce, and finally 45p for four mini baguettes.

Had a NSD today. Will try and update sig soon as can't do it on mobile, as it's awkward.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350
    Forever learning the art of frugality