MSE News: Superfast broadband customers should get cheaper, shorter deals, Ofcom says

"Superfast broadband customers will be offered cheaper and shorter deals, under Ofcom proposals..."
Read the full story:

Superfast broadband customers should get cheaper, shorter deals, Ofcom says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• edited 3 July 2013 at 11:14AM
    kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2013 at 11:14AM
    The problem they are trying to fix is one created by themselves - Openreach is a completely unaccountable monopoly.

Prices aren't the half of it...
    Long lead times on installs - Openreach
    Difficulty getting line faults investigated (let alone fixed) - Openreach
    No-shows for fibre installs - Openreach

Can you complain to Openreach about their failures - no way Jose - you are not their customer the ISP is.

An ancient rant by me about Openreach
  • edited 3 July 2013 at 4:48PM
    JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2013 at 4:48PM
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    The problem they are trying to fix is one created by themselves - Openreach is a completely unaccountable monopoly.

Prices aren't the half of it...
    Long lead times on installs - Openreach
    Difficulty getting line faults investigated (let alone fixed) - Openreach
    No-shows for fibre installs - Openreach

Can you complain to Openreach about their failures - no way Jose - you are not their customer the ISP is.

An ancient rant by me about Openreach

And it's wholly owned by BT. So basically all of the other ISPs are at the mercy of one of their direct competitors for their core business, and BT retain their central position in the market for no valid or defensible reason. That is insane.

What SHOULD have happened is the trunk network should have been taken into public ownership and access resold at cost price plus a certain amount for infrastructure investment, with BT nothing more than an ISP/telephony provider buying carrier space from this publicly owned body. Instead we got this terrible halfway fudge that benefits absolutely nobody except BT.

Add that to the list of privatisations done in the most a*se-about-face way possible... People call Virgin Media all kinds of names but even at their most abysmal they're the earthly manifestation of Christ compared to Openreach at their worst.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT group, before committing to investing 2.5 billion £'s in Next Generation Access obtained agreement from Ofcom about the rate of return on that investment, as if they insisted on the same return allowed on their copper assets they would have left the money the bank and got a better no risk return ..so I would imagine if Ofcom decide to throw away this agreement and try to force a reduction on the return BT get, then BT will take them to court , Sky, TT etc. resell FTTC risk free, say mobile Internet gets very cheap , and people dump FTTC, it's BT that take the hit with a expensive network that no one wants, Sky and TT walk away without any financial hit at all, this 'risk' is why BT are allowed to get a return, they are not a 'not for profit' company,
    There isn't any serious political party advocating taking BT back into public ownership, after all , its not like the railways that get a subsidy from the public purse
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT have little choice but to invest in their network to make it fit for the internet. With the proliferation of mobile phones and VOIP it will eventually be worth nothing for telephony. With interest rates at an all time low this is an excellent time for them to be investing - andof course grabbing whatever bunce they can get from the government who have a bee in their bonnet about how essential high speed internet is.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The same copper assets largely inherited from the GPO?

I don't think re-nationalisation is the answer; rather legally/functionally separating the network from BT entirely.
    iniltous wrote: »
    the same return allowed on their copper assets they would have left the money the bank and got a better no risk return .
  • edited 3 July 2013 at 10:19PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2013 at 10:19PM
    The same copper assets largely inherited from the GPO?

I don't think re-nationalisation is the answer; rather legally/functionally separating the network from BT entirely.[/
    Funny I paid for my shares in BT, the initial public offering was 130p / share...inherited, no...bought and paid for...OR is functionally separate from the rest of BT, and deal with all CP's in the same way, including BT retail, if they favoured BT retail Ofcom has the ability to take punitive measures,
  • There will come a time when a fixed service will no longer be the norm.

I know that a lot of people I know, mainly people who rent won't sign up for fixed line services, they opt for some form of mobile broadband.

Be that via their phones, a dongle or mifi device, the majority of these people get speeds over a mobile network, that far exceed anything they can get on a traditional service.

Pushing fixed line or fibre services is going in the wrong direction imo, even if they are proposing shorter contacts, things have moved on drastically.

Mobile Internet access is where things are slowly but surely moving to, just like with mobile phones, they are slowly killing off landline use for calls, with many people using it as their main or sole form of contact, eventually having a mobile Internet connection will become the norm.

But then, I'm a huge fan of 'mobile broadband' the benefits of it far outweigh the negatives, yes you won't get fibre speeds at this moment in time, but thats no doubt going to change in the not too distant future, you're not tied to a fixed address, you can use it virtually anywhere, along with a host of other benefits. I don't think I'd ever move back to a fixed service, after using it this way for the last 5 years.

There should be massive investment in to the mobile network in this country to give UK wide access to LTE speeds, along with upgrading it for extra capacity.

I'm sure that given the choice of a fixed line service or a completely mobile service, with the same allowances, comparable speeds, the same costs etc etc, then many people will make the jump to 'mobile broadband' and enjoy the benefits of such a system.

I say go wire free, it's come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years or so, and it is imo the future of Internet access in this country.
  • Handsome90 wrote: »
    Hi. It would have been better if you created a different thread. Did you ask for estimated line speed when you contacted other ISPs?

Yes, my mistake as a newbie not to create a new thread. Is it too late to move? No, I have not asked for line speed info but isn't this available on the web (e.g. uswitch)? Based on my experience making enquiries with different ISPs, it would appear that the system the ISPs' sales people rely on for information is not necessarily correct or reliable. For example, they don't appear to be aware of the fact that there is no copper wiring in our building. Due to delays with Talk Talk, I also tried to sign up with VM (Virgin Media). The salesman who came to see me said no problem but then a few weeks later we received a letter informing us we can't have a phone line. When we contacted the salesman, we were told if we want a new phone line with VM, we will have to wait for another 3 months. No idea why.
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Start a new thread now. Only people interested in the thread title are going to read this and that will not necessarily be those best able to advise you. Plus a load of stuff that is completely off topic will trash this thread. On many boards a mod would move your post to a thread of its own but this is a huge board with few mods who mostly firefight spam.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    isn't it cheap already ?

i just added fibre with talk talk and its £5 extra a month, free connection too, 18 month contract tho, but shorter contracts are more expensive anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide